Hope's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Bug report: cannot enter space while adding a POI

Caption: A screenshot showing a place name without any spaces.Caption: A screenshot showing a place name without any spaces.

I'm having trouble adding missing places on my iPhone and iPad Maps app because the name field doesn't allow me to add spaces. I'm using the latest version of Maps on iPhone and a 6-month-old version on iPad. The issue didn't exist on the iPad previously, so it seems like a server-side problem. However, I tried adding places on a browser and it worked without any issues.

Facing this issue for a week now. Likely a bug with the new Suggest Edit change. 

15 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Bug report: cannot enter space while adding a POI

Hi @Hope 

I have seen this bug also. It shows up only periodically. 

I found that swopping to an other app and then returning to Maps helps 

I'm also having issues with positioning the cursor now and then on Android.

@DeniGu maybe you want to escalate this.

Cheers

Morten 

Level 10

Caption: GIF showing the space issue does not fix even after changing apps.Caption: GIF showing the space issue does not fix even after changing apps.

Thank you for the reply, @MortenCopenhagen. Sadly, that workaround does not work on my iPhone. And the problem is with every new missing place I add, not just periodically. I hope they fix it very soon. 

Level 10

Hello @Hope , I encountered the same issue on my iPhone and resolved it by adding the underscore between words, as illustrated below. This was approved.

Can I continue this practice like this Connect Moderator  @MortenCopenhagen ?

PrasadVR_1-1714720538990.png

PrasadVR_0-1714720504669.png

Signature Image
Connect Moderator

Nice try, @PrasadVR 

As a temporary workaround: sure. But keep a record so you can fix the name properly later.

Further, you missed the guideline regarding the use of ALL CAPS in names on Google Maps.  Short names with 3 (max 4) letters ar allowed to use all caps. Anything longer than 4 letters should be in normal (lower) case with capital first letter. 

Cheers 

Morten 

@MoniDi kindly escalate this bug.

Level 10

Hello @MortenCopenhagen Thank you for the prompt reply and suggestion. 

Signature Image
Level 10

Editing places Name in Hindi has issues

I have been editing and rectifying Hindi names of places and the process has been smooth but for quite some weeks there has been an issue of spacing while typing names in Hindi. When I press spacebar nothing happens even when I change the keyboard/keypad to English the required space can't be input. This happens when I type the Hindi text in Hindi tab however in other tabs where generally English goes it's all good no issue whatsoever. 

For example 

The place has name IIT FMS Computer Institute however when I type the same in Hindi I can't type in 4 different words I have to type it all whether it's incorrect or correct and then provide spacing afterwards. Strangely spacing works when it's full typed.

This is how it appears as is when spacing doesn't work

Screenshot_20240506-073626.png

Here is the corrected version 

Screenshot_20240506-073638.png

By the way my edit was successful but the new process has been discouraging specially if the correction is related to Hindi. 

Secondly there is another issue as well, Suppose the place has 3 worded name and only 2 are correctly written in Hindi and if I corrected the remaining one it will delete the word just after it and it can be avoided by giving space right away but like I explained earlier spacing doesn't work here. So one has to edit all 3 words. This one is more peskier than earlier issue.

Below is the screenshot of the same 

So the place has 4 worded name IFCI Park View Apartment and  the Hindi tab has IFCI as is and rest 3 words in Hindi which are correct.

Screenshot_20240506-081625.png

So i tried writing IFCI  in Hindi but the as soon I starts typing in Hindi it starts consuming the next Hindi word i.e. park and when I'm finished type IFCI fully the word park in Hindi is gone. This is again somehow related to spacing issue. It happens sometimes with Hindi but it's very less common these days. It was not the case in maps before.

Screenshot_20240506-081728.png

Looking for inputs if someone else is facing the same issue or it's just me  or the issue has been reported earlier.

Connect Moderator

Re: Editing places Name in Hindi has issues

Hi @Trail_blazer 

This is not related to Hindi only. I will move your post tp another thread where the same problem is being discussed. 

Cheers

Morten

Level 10

Re: Editing places Name in Hindi has issues

Thanks @MortenCopenhagen I just tried correcting an English name issue persist there too. 

Level 10

@PrasadVR that's extra work ig in my case I have noticed I can type the name (all words) at once and then can easily put a space at desired place it has worked easily for English as the text doesn't have to convert to other language so it remains as is and you can put cursor at definite place and inset a space. Idk how Google index names and return them in searches once you add underscore to a name.