Melissa_Langlois's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Disability awareness : Learn about the Developmental Coordination Disorder

This is the first capsule I’ll make to provide you with some information about different kinds of disability. In these posts, I’ll share a bit about the disability but also about how, as local guides, you can improve your contribution to help people with that disability. Please, let me know if you would like me to write more! Today, let’s start with Developmental Coordination Disorder since October 4th to 10th was the DCD awareness week!

Developemental Coordination Disorder

DCD (or developmental coordination disorder), also known as dyspraxia, is a disability that affects about 5-6% of school-aged children. That means that there’s about 1 child with DCD in every classroom. There are more boys with DCD than girls (about 5:1 ratio). DCD is usually diagnosed around 7 years old.

But what is DCD? It’s a disability that affects the quality of motor skills and movement coordination, meaning the kid will have difficulty performing his everyday task. These kids are often described as being clumsy because there are tripping on things, are unable to master motor activities such as throwing a ball or tying their shoes or even brushing their teeth. It is not because they have a mental delay but really because they can coordinate their movement properly. It can cause great problems at school because mastering the writing will be hard and they won’t be able to structure their sheet properly and thus, they will often be seen as lazy. DCD is invisible and it's often hard for people to understand that it IS in indeed a disability and not only a child acting up and not wanting to do his things properly. Even if it's not visible, the struggles they will have are very much real.

For example, every change in a task will mean the child will have to learn to do it again. While for you and me it’s easy to tie laces, no matter if they are on shoes, skates or clothes, a child with DCD will see them as 3 completely different tasks. They won’t be able to generalize their learning to other similar tasks. Also, the feedback chain isn’t working properly, meaning that they won’t be able to properly plan the movement based on what didn’t work previously.

While it was once thought that children would outgrow their motor difficulties, it is now known that it persists. When growing up, children with DCD learn to perform their tasks in their own way. The difficulty is still there when trying to learn a new task they have never seen before. So every new activity will necessitate adjustment time to learn to master it. Early intervention is the key to help children learn to cope with their disability. The most important thing is to work on their self-confidence because they often see themselves as not being good since they can’t perform like their friends.

How to recognize a child with DCD?

• A child with DCD will have difficulties with a simple task such as zipping their coats, tying their shoelaces or even eating without making a mess.
  • They will often avoid physical activities because they feel they’re not good at it.
  • They will be clumsy. They will trip against things, fall on the ground, knock things over or bump into others.
  • They will write poorly or draw poorly. They will have a messy working sheet. Won’t be able to stay within the lines while colouring.
  • They can be frustrated by their inability to perform like they would like to.
  • Also note that each child is different, and some DCD children might perform well in a sport while having great difficulties with fine motor activities.

Caption : Drawing of a unicorn made by a child with DCDCaption : Drawing of a unicorn made by a child with DCD

What information as local guides can you provide on maps to help?

• Is the place really crowded?
  • Are the alleys big?
  • If it’s a playground, are the surface soft if a kids fall?
  • Are the activities have multiples steps? Or is it one simple step?
  • Do you need to be really precise while doing the activity (like painting on porcelain activity)

Those are small examples of things you can add to help parents with DCD children to know what to expect when going to a new place. Help us make a more inclusive world for all types of disabilities!

Caption : My daughter with DCD trying to learn to ride a bikeCaption : My daughter with DCD trying to learn to ride a bike

Want to know more about DCD? Here are some helpful resources 

CanChild is a Canadian Organisation making helpful researches about DCD
The Dyspraxia foundation in the UK also have a lot of information

The European Academy of Childhood Disability has made recommendations guidelines about DCD

9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Disability awareness : Learn about the Developmental Coordination Disorder

@Melissa_Langlois So very informative!!!! I can now understand how these notes in reviews can help parents who have children with this disorder. You are obviously being very supportive of your daughter and I know she will do better because of it. Thank you for sharing!!!!!

Connect Moderator

@Melissa_Langlois @ Thank you for sharing such an informative post. Because it's very first time when I read about this kind of different ability in any child. Whenever I will write a review, i will surely keep these points in my mind, which you describe in your post, to create awareness and guide people. 

Thanks again, and God bless you and your family.

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

I've reread your post three times, @Melissa_Langlois , because I wanted to make sure I fully understand all the details of what you wrote.
This post has certainly added a lot to my knowledge and relationship with the vast world of disability, which leads me more and more to refer to "differently abled" people rather than disabled people.

We often simplify by identifying the "disabled" with the person in a wheelchair. The identification is correct, in most cases, but tends to make people forget how there are people with other forms of "difficulty". 

Most importantly, we forget how much information we can add to our review. It's not easy, and I understand it. For example, I refer to my direct knowledge (wheelchair, down syndrome, autism) in adding information on accessibility to a place. There is nothing wrong with that, it is normal for it to be so, but a post like yours helps us to broaden our thinking. So, thanks for this post

Level 8

@Denise_Barlock Thank you for your kind words. I'm doing my best every day for my daughter and she was fortunate enough to have a mom whose been working in pediatric rehab to help her.

@KashifMisidia Thank you! I wanted to share with other disorders that are lesser-known to help broaden their views. I have a few other ideas for other disorders to share with fellow local guides. I think it's by sharing the knowledge that we can help the world to be a better place.

@ErmesT It was the goal I wanted to obtain when I've decided to share about lesser-known disability. I know local guides are doing a fantastic job at sharing accessibility information and I'm really grateful for that. But I also wanted to help them get to know other ways of impairment and how they can furthermore improve their contribution. We all do the best we can with the information we have. I've been fortunate enough to work with people with  different kinds of disorders. That's why I wanted to share my knowledge.

Connect Moderator

@Melissa_Langlois My heart swells hearing about the love for your daughter and your efforts to improve her life now and for her future! Huge hugs

Connect Moderator

Gracias por compartir este post @Melissa_Langlois, cuando mis niños eran pequeños estos detalles me resultaban muy importantes y los investigaba fuertemente, en ese momento no existían los Local Guides.

Las sugerencias sobre qué tipo de información agregar en nuestras reseñas pueden llegar a ser de mucha importancia a cualquier padre que tenga su hijo con este tipo de patología, en el futuro consideraré esta información en mis comentarios.

Saludos Farid

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Connect Moderator

Hello @Melissa_Langlois 

Sorry to hear about your daughter, but I believe she is very blessed to have a nice and caring mom just like you. I send a bug virtual hugs for her and I hope she'll get better and better everyday, be loved by everyone 🤗

Thank you for sharing about this disorder and reminding our fellow Local Guides to take concern about this disorder when informing about accessibility. One of the children's disorder that I'm quite familiar is Dyslexia .

And thanks to you, today I'm learning another children's disorder.

Last but not the least, congratulations for being one of the Friday Favorites 😊

Level 8

@FaridTDF Thank you! I agree that these informations might be useful for all parents as well while giving a little extra input for parents of DCD kids.

@Velvel Yes I think my daughter has been lucky! and thanks for the congrats!

Connect Moderator

Hey @Melissa_Langlois,

very informative post, thank you for sharing all those info with us. It is very important and we, as Local Guides, can make indeed awareness about DCD.

Thank you.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂