Kwiksatik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

CHALLENGE | #StateChallenge Indiana

A banner with stars, stripes and an outline of the state Indiana. created by @kwiksatikA banner with stars, stripes and an outline of the state Indiana. created by @kwiksatik

A banner with stars, stripes and an outline of the state Indiana. created by @Kwiksatik

ALL Local Guides around the world are welcome to participate in the #StateChallenge!!!  Everyone is invited to participate, whether they have visited the state themselves, or are daydreaming about what the featured state has to offer. Each challenge will have an Articles Submissions #StudyGuide and a State Trivia Meetup (with questions sourced from the submitted articles). Details of the challenge are here. If you write an article, make sure to link to it in the comments so we can include it in our #StudyGuide!

✔️Articles must be published by midnight Pacific Standard Time, July 17 Eastern Standard Time.

✔️500 words or less is best

✔️Link your article in the comments so we can add it to the #StudyGuide

✔️ Attend the Meetup

Challenge: INDIANA

What have you seen, done, eaten or experienced in Indiana? If you traveled there, what would you want to see, do, eat or experience in Indiana?

Here is a list of interesting places in Indiana to get you started!

Fun facts about Indiana:

1.  Indiana gets letters for Santa Claus - about half a million each year - in the town of Santa Claus.
  2.  The first professional baseball game occurred in Fort Wayne, Indiana in 1971.
  3.  However, not a single team from Indiana has ever been a club in Major League Baseball.
  4.  Elvis Presley's last concert was held at Market Square Arena in 1977.
  5. 90% of the world's popcorn comes from Indiana - the state where Orville Redenbacher was born.
  6.  Indiana is considered the "Covered Bridge Capital of the World. With 32 bridges in Historic Parke County alone!
  7.  Explorers Lewis and Clark, responsible for mapping the Northwest Passage, set out from Fort Vincennes in Indiana.
  8.  Indianapolis resident Marcella Gruelle created the Raggedy Ann doll in 1914.
  9.  Indiana is considered a "Great Lakes" state, even though they only have 40 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline.
  10.  The United States' first woman millionaire, Sara Walker, was from Indiana.

This post is part of the #StateChallenge organized by @Kwiksatik and @Denise_Barlock. If you want to find out more, check out this post. You can also find other submissions by searching the #StateChallenge hashtag. There is also a virtual meet-up on Indiana coming up which you can sign up to here!

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Gary, IN, USA
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: CHALLENGE | #StateChallenge Indiana

Believe it or not @Kwiksatik Indiana is one of my favourite states in the US. My friend Brice has a farm in Bloomington and teaches in the university there. If you're ever going to Indiana you need to visit the once a year Portland Tri State Engine Show https://tristategasenginetractor.com/ it is one of the biggest engine and tractor shows in America, possibly one of the biggest in the world. I have been lucky enough to go three times but not since 2002. You'll have to excuse the low quality video - they're made with one of the first consumer digital cameras. Very low resolution and very low frame rates. The best cherry pie in America is available at that show.

Paul

Connect Moderator

I feel like I accidentally struck gold! I want to hear more about your thoughts on Indiana! I have not been, so I am trying to imagine the state... 

As for the engine and tractor show - that sounds AMAZING. I bet there is all kinds of fun to be had with the folks that attend that kind of event!

Connect Moderator

@Kwiksatik I actually knew about the popcorn ironically! When we're getting our coach worked on up in Indiana, there are popcorn stores everywhere!!! hahahahaha! Love these fun facts too!!!

Connect Moderator

@Denise_Barlock I was totally shocked to find out! I'm excited to learn more about the state. I'm afraid it's been a blind spot in my state knowledge.

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

@PaulPavlinovich I LOVE your comment and love for Indiana! Can I talk you into making it a post with #StateChallenge in the title? 🙂

Connect Moderator