Denise_Barlock's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Northern Indiana is a hidden treasure! #StateChallenge

I never thought I would know so much about Indiana or that I would have had the opportunity to go there as much as I have in the last four years. Why? As it turns out, 80 percent of global RV (Recreational Vehicle) production is based throughout the northern area of Indiana! Even the RV / Motorhome Hall of Fame Museum is located here! 

RV Capital of the worldRV Capital of the world

After we purchased our motorhome in the Spring of 2016, we have gone to Indiana a number of times to get warranty work done on our home on wheels at the manufacturing plant. When at the manufacturing plant, we took a number of tours of the plant and met many of the people who designed, built, and provides customer service to us on the phone when we have problems or questions. 

While waiting for our home to be serviced, we discovered that Northern Indiana is home to the third-largest Amish region in the United States. The people and community are wonderfully friendly and a delight to visit. 

One of our most favorite things we did in the area was to take the Heritage Trail self-driving tour! If you are ever in the area, it’s a MUST DO!!!

25-foot tall, 27,000 pound sculptures inspired by Grant Wood's painting "American Gothic" in Elkhart, IN25-foot tall, 27,000 pound sculptures inspired by Grant Wood's painting "American Gothic" in Elkhart, IN

As we drove the Heritage trail self-driving tour we ran across popcorn shops! ...and we learned that Indiana is the second-largest producer of popcorn in the US where Nebraska ranks number one! Indiana produces almost 500 MILLION pounds of popcorn a year worth $71.4 million dollars! Oh my!!! I guess popcorn had to be produced somewhere… I just didn’t realize that Indiana was such a large producer. The other thing I didn’t realize is that there are SO MANY types of popcorn! All one has to do is go into a popcorn store and see all the options. I was immediately overwhelmed!!

So many popcorn options!So many popcorn options!

The area of Indiana that I’ve spent so much time in is NOT in the top things to do in this state! One day I may have a chance to see the other areas, but what I’ve done and seen has been both amazing and so very enjoyable! If you’ve never been to or thought about visiting Indiana, you need to put it on your list!

Some top attractions in Indiana are

• Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore where dunes reach nearly 200 feet above Lake Michigan
    • OK… I have been here as we needed to find a place to be before going to our next repair shop.
  • Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the world’s largest spectator sporting facility, with more than 250,000 permanent seats.
  • Children’s Museum of Indianapolis (which is the largest children’s museum in the world)
  • Notre Dame University has the oldest marching band in the United States founded in 1842

This post is part of the #StateChallenge organized by @Kwiksatik and myself. If you want to find out more, check out our post here and here, and you can also find other submissions by searching the #StateChallenge hashtag. There is also a virtual meet-up on Indiana coming up which you can sign up to here!  

Middlebury, IN, USA
11 comments
Level 8

Re: Northern Indiana is a hidden treasure! #StateChallenge

@Denise_Barlock , It's a great write up. Would love to visit someday. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Denise_Barlock 

I have to say these pictures are great.   Indiana is a hidden gem that needs to be shown to the world.   I look forward to seeing more of your photos. 

Level 9

Wow well detailed post, thanks @Denise_Barlock for sharing your experience with community.

Much thankful for @Kwiksatik for the interesting challenge. Soon i'll share a post under this banner.

#StateChallenge✌

Connect Moderator

@Groowynd_n_Qzinez Thank you! I'm glad you liked the post. Indiana is one of those state folks don't realize is so interesting 🙂

Connect Moderator

@Anonymous I'm glad you like the pictures! I always want to add so many and struggle with which pictures to include. I'm glad you liked these! I'll continue to try to get the best ones posted 🙂

Connect Moderator

@IshantHP_ig Thank you! Which state are you interested in posting about. We're always wondering where folks would like to contribute 🙂

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

@Denise_Barlock those pictures are absolutely awesome! My family traveled summers in an RV growing up and I know firsthand how difficult it can be to come by good repair.

Second - that popcorn! I was surprised to find out when I was researching the state, but those pictures are crazy. I've never seen whole stores dedicated to popcorn before and the thought tickles me.

Connect Moderator

@Kwiksatik Can you believe Dave bought 50 POUNDS of popcorn when we were there last? WHAT?!?! He's about finished what we bought 2 years ago and he's ready to go back and get more. hahahahahaha!!!