VBenedict's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Are you a wine connoisseur?

There are many aspects to everything in life.  Many angles from which to approach any subject matter of interest and so I am approaching this wine topic from a historical perspective.

I do not consider myself a true wine connoisseur. My experience with wines is limited to distinguishing taste, aroma and age as a social wine taster.  (Alchohol can trigger intense migraines when I intake more than half a glass, even with dinner).

I recently became interested in the historical aspects and process of wine distillation when at a Turkish Cuisine Restaurant I was offered a taste of an imported turkish wine.

Produced by the oldest winery in Turkey - Photo: Virginia Benedict  7-2018Produced by the oldest winery in Turkey - Photo: Virginia Benedict 7-2018

I was truly pleasantly surprised at the quality of this wine.  It met all my expectations of what a remarkable wine should meet.

I became curious about the origins of no only this wine but wineries in Turkey.

Do you know where the oldest wineries on Planet Earth are?

Or which two countries are the only ones to harvest true native grape vines?

As a wine connoisseur did you know that Turkey and Italy are the only two countries to grow actual native grape vines

What is the origin of wine?

1.  Can you help me discover more historical facts about wine making? 

2.  In your unbiased opinion; who traditionally has been farming the best wine making grapes?

3. Traditionally what climates are best suited for what genre of grapes.

4. What are the oldest species of grapes.

You can tackle one question or more at a time and help me learn more about the historical facts of wine making and the role of wines in society throughout the times.

Ossining, NY, USA
21 comments
Level 8

Are you a wine connoisseur?

There are many aspects to everything in life.  Many angles from which to approach any subject matter of interest and so I am approaching this wine topic from a historical perspective.

I do not consider myself a true wine connoisseur. My experience with wines is limited to distinguishing taste, aroma and age as a social wine taster.  (Alchohol can trigger intense migranes when I intake more than half a glass, even with dinner).

I recently became interested in the historical aspects and process of wine distillation when at a Turkish Cuisine Restaurant I was offered a taste of an imported turkish wine.

Produced by the oldest winery in Turkey - Photo: Virginia Benedict  7-2018Produced by the oldest winery in Turkey - Photo: Virginia Benedict 7-2018

I was truly pleasantly surprised at the quality of this wine.  It met all my expectations of what a remarkable wine should meet.

I became curious about the origins of no only this wine but wineries in Turkey.

Do you know where the oldest wineries on Planet Earth are?

Or which two countries are the only ones to harvest true native grape vines?

As a wine connoisseur did you know that Turkey and Italy are the only two countries to grow actual native grape vines

What is the origin of wine?

1.  Can you help me discover more historical facts about wine making? 

2.  In your unbiased opinion; who traditionally has been farming the best wine making grapes?

3. Traditionally what climates are best suited for what genre of grapes.

4. What are the oldest species of grapes.

You can tackle one question or more at a time and help me learn more about the historical facts of wine making and the role of wines in society throughout the times.

Level 8

Re: Are you a wine connoisseur?

@AlexVee  thank for recognizing my work.  Your kudo means a great deal to me.

@ErmesT  I am seeing my wine post twice.

What do you suppose happened? Can you check to see if it appears twice to you?

Connect Moderator

Hi @VBenedict, ies, it seems you posted it twice. You can simply delete this one.

Now, back to your post

I love it, I love everything related to wine, so I am very happy for living in the area of Prosecco. Prosecco will be the subject of the "wine meet-up 2018", while the subject of wine meet-up 2017 was "Raboso".

Making wine is a blend of Culture, Tradition, Technology: Exploring Italian Wines - A Modern Traditional Art

Technology is helping, in finding the best soil for every type of wine, whyle tradition is discovering wood and barrels, that for a long time were replaced by concrete and stainless steel.

Caption - Wooden barrels stacked on a winery, for aging the winesCaption - Wooden barrels stacked on a winery, for aging the wines

Caption - Trelliswork area, where the grapes are drying, for the production of Gelsaia - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption - Trelliswork area, where the grapes are drying, for the production of Gelsaia - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

Do you want to come with us, to visit the Italian vineyards?

Follow the link: September is the month of the Grape Harvest

You will have a lot of fun.

IMG_20180512_203340.jpg

Level 9

@VBenedict: I don't know a lot about the history of wines so thanks for sharing some interesting facts. What I can tell you is that we have had a number of wineries that popped up in the last recent years here in the west coast of Canada. Some of them are smaller and owned by families, some of them are much larger companies. One of the specialties here is ice wine and it is a dessert wine, very much like port from Portugal! I did a bit of a winery tour of some of the "wine country" areas here in the west coast. You can check out the post here.

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

@ErmesT. I did not intentionally post twice.  The duplicate simply showed up a few minutes later.

While I was posting I received an Error which I regret not to have screen snapped.  I was concerned that I might loose my work if I did anything in between; so I quickly tapped on Post again. 

I have lost work before in much the same manner. Poof! Simply disappearing.

The post version you are recommending I delete does not have the delete option on the dropdown (3dots) and that is the one that is getting all of our activity.  

The other version does in fact have the Delete option and I think that this is the original one.  I am concerned that if I delete the original one it will delete both along with its replies an kudos. 

Connect Moderator

Ok @VBenedict, don't worry. Let's Googler to manage it and let's talk about wine, as this is a subject that I really love. Vineyard and winery are all around me, in Treviso, wine is an integral part of our life. Everyone is a farmer, a son or a nephew of a farmer.

Back for a minute to your issue, I always write my original post on Google document first. Than, I copy my post on Connect. In this way I am sure that the original document still in a safe place

Level 8

Let us discuss the used of cement and stainless steel in the wine making industry.

Was this an industrywide move in Italy alone? Or was this worldwide adaptation?

What prompted this break from a proven millions of year old tradition?

Level 8

You are very welcome @Shirley. Much appreciate your input 🎊

"...some of them are much larger companies."

Are the larger companies subsidiaries of pre-existing well known wineries? Or are they simply new well funded wineries.

"One of the specialties here is ice wine and it is a dessert wine, very much like port from Portugal!"

Interesting Marketing using subliminal double entendre... local climate and ice wine.  And if the ice wine is pretty much like a Port then add tradition and presence to the subliminal mix. 

Level 8

@OSAMA  know LGs from Turkey you can tag?

@AlejandraMaria Spain produces outstanding table wines

@Vvincent  France => Bordeaux, Saint-Émilion

@LucioV. Where in Italy did its native grape vines first appeared?

@MiaMaria  Germany has some very lovely wines...

@TorM. Would love your two cents

@LuisRG  What can you share? 

What were the origins of Wine?

Would love your input and Please tag anyone interested in wine historical facts and its evolution.

~ Virginia Benedict 🕊

Beauty&Lifestyles™

Google Maps Lists Curator

Google Maps Local Guide