Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Kelowna Local Guides?

Are there any local guides from Kelowna or Okanagan area?  I just did a recent trip to Kelowna over the weekend and of course had a wonderful time at some wineries.  Kelowna and the surrounding area is known to be wine country here in British Columbia, so many options to choose from, you're bound to find something that you'd enjoy...but here are five things I learned:

1. On the drive up from Vancouver, many people stop at a visitor's center in Merritt.  It's a nice stop area, with relatively clean washrooms, a small gift shop, a snack shop and free wifi.  The free wifi does require a code though, so you'll have to stop inside to get the code to access the internet.  There are about 30 parking spots here, so I can imagine it getting busy if it is the summer on a nice day.  The shop also has a number of brochures for other attractions, I picked up a coupon for the Capilano Suspension Bridge, so I'll be taking whoever that visits Vancouver there next!

2017-04-21 13.15.25.jpg

2. After Merritt, there are no gas stations at all for over 100 km.  Ensure you have enough gas.  There are uphills areas as well.  The stretch of highway is also in a variable speed zone, meaning there are digital signs to indicate the maximum allowed speed.  The fastest speed is 120km/hr; however, if you're following traffic, people are well above this limit.  Just be careful, I watched a cop pull someone over.

3. Summerhill Pyramid Winery is probably one of the most well known wineries in Kelowna.  They literally have a pyramid where they age their wine in oak barrels.  Tastings are free here and they do have some of the best ice wine if you're into that.  There is also an amazing view of the water at the winery.  They have staff that speak lots of different languages, this is a popular stop for tour buses.  Their current rose is really interesting, it tastes like a watermelon drink!

Summerhill Pyramid WinerySummerhill Pyramid Winery

4. The one and only winery with 3D art in the world is at Vibrant Vines. My understanding is that one of the owner's son is the artist that designs all of the art work and the other owner's son is the winemaker.  You'll get a pair of 3D glasses once you walk in.  Their Riesling in 2013 won the best white wine in the world and their wine have some really interesting names.  One of their most popular red wines is called "Phantom," I asked why.  Apparently, the owners or some friends of the owners know the actor who originally played Phantom in the west end and every so often, the Phantom of the Opera is played in Kelowna by this particular actor.  And during the show, that is the one that he prefers and that is what is served.  They also have a white called "Woops" and the story goes, years ago the label was printed upside down, and it has been left upside down since then because it makes a great story and it is a great white wine.

2017-04-22 15.36.30.jpg2017-04-22 15.44.41.jpg

5. There's a story about Lake Okanagan.  Many people have probably heard of the Loch Ness monster in Scotland, this is a similar tale.  There's a sea creature and its (his? her?) name is Ogopogo.  Supposedly it looks like this... there is a really famous swim every year in mid July where people swim across the lake though... one of my former coworkers has been bugging me to go swim... so we'll see!

The OgopogoThe Ogopogo

So if you're into wine at all, there are a ton of wineries to explore there.  Years ago I went to a wine festival in October where you get to stomp on grapes.  It makes for a great getaway from Vancouver!  So are there any local guides from Kelowna??? =D

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Kelowna, BC, Canada
8 comments
Level 4

Re: Kelowna Local Guides?

Not Kelowna, but I live in Vernon. If you prefer a less hectic pace, you may wish to leave Kelowna to check out wineries to the north & south. North you can take Glemnore road into the Lake Country area. One of the oldest established family wineries in the Okanagan Valley is Gray Monk. This means they're able to offer wines made from vines that are 30+ years old, their Odyssey vintages. Close by are several newer operations, Ex Nihilo & Arrowleaf among others. I'm somewhat biased towards the Gray Monk wines though, the head wine maker George is the goalkeeper for our local 55+ soccer team! Pretty good goalkeeper, expert wine maker!

And should you enjoy a stronger spirit now & then, check out Okanagan Spirits, a local distiller (locations both in Vernon & Kelowna) that uses local fruits & grains to produce world class, award winning whiskeys & liqueurs.

South of Kelowna there are plenty of vineyards to explore all the way down to Oliver, which boasts the Golden Mile.

@ShirleyY wrote:

Are there any local guides from Kelowna or Okanagan area?  I just did a recent trip to Kelowna over the weekend and of course had a wonderful time at some wineries.  Kelowna and the surrounding area is known to be wine country here in British Columbia, so many options to choose from, you're bound to find something that you'd enjoy...but here are five things I learned:

1. On the drive up from Vancouver, many people stop at a visitor's center in Merritt.  It's a nice stop area, with relatively clean washrooms, a small gift shop, a snack shop and free wifi.  The free wifi does require a code though, so you'll have to stop inside to get the code to access the internet.  There are about 30 parking spots here, so I can imagine it getting busy if it is the summer on a nice day.  The shop also has a number of brochures for other attractions, I picked up a coupon for the Capilano Suspension Bridge, so I'll be taking whoever that visits Vancouver there next!

2017-04-21 13.15.25.jpg

2. After Merritt, there are no gas stations at all for over 100 km.  Ensure you have enough gas.  There are uphills areas as well.  The stretch of highway is also in a variable speed zone, meaning there are digital signs to indicate the maximum allowed speed.  The fastest speed is 120km/hr; however, if you're following traffic, people are well above this limit.  Just be careful, I watched a cop pull someone over.

3. Summerhill Pyramid Winery is probably one of the most well known wineries in Kelowna.  They literally have a pyramid where they age their wine in oak barrels.  Tastings are free here and they do have some of the best ice wine if you're into that.  There is also an amazing view of the water at the winery.  They have staff that speak lots of different languages, this is a popular stop for tour buses.  Their current rose is really interesting, it tastes like a watermelon drink!

Summerhill Pyramid WinerySummerhill Pyramid Winery

4. The one and only winery with 3D art in the world is at Vibrant Vines. My understanding is that one of the owner's son is the artist that designs all of the art work and the other owner's son is the winemaker.  You'll get a pair of 3D glasses once you walk in.  Their Riesling in 2013 won the best white wine in the world and their wine have some really interesting names.  One of their most popular red wines is called "Phantom," I asked why.  Apparently, the owners or some friends of the owners know the actor who originally played Phantom in the west end and every so often, the Phantom of the Opera is played in Kelowna by this particular actor.  And during the show, that is the one that he prefers and that is what is served.  They also have a white called "Woops" and the story goes, years ago the label was printed upside down, and it has been left upside down since then because it makes a great story and it is a great white wine.

2017-04-22 15.36.30.jpg2017-04-22 15.44.41.jpg

5. There's a story about Lake Okanagan.  Many people have probably heard of the Loch Ness monster in Scotland, this is a similar tale.  There's a sea creature and its (his? her?) name is Ogopogo.  Supposedly it looks like this... there is a really famous swim every year in mid July where people swim across the lake though... one of my former coworkers has been bugging me to go swim... so we'll see!

The OgopogoThe Ogopogo

So if you're into wine at all, there are a ton of wineries to explore there.  Years ago I went to a wine festival in October where you get to stomp on grapes.  It makes for a great getaway from Vancouver!  So are there any local guides from Kelowna??? =D

Level 9

Thanks for your suggestions @MikeS! Will definitely check those places out next time I'm headed to the Okanagan!  

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 6

Hey Shirley!

Yea I'm here!

I liked your post on your trip to Kelowna etc. I hadn't really planned on engaging the guide community until after the summit, as I assumed changed would be announced.

Coincidentally, I have a great venue we can use literally accross the street (not hwy) from the Kelowna Visitor center.

I would really love someone to help me understand the guides community as I think it could be a catalyst for good in my hometown.

Best Regards

Connon!

Level 9

Hey @KelownaLocal

Thanks! I'm just down in Vancouver, so if you ever come down here let me know.  I am one of the co-owners for the Vancouver community.  We generally have a meet up every few months or so.  Most of our meet ups are food related!

@AlexPssn is a Local Guide who is in Kamloops area and he owns the Canada Local Guides community.  We're both headed to the summit.

Not sure what you mean by change after the summit.  Google always has something on their minds I suppose.  Last year in October, there was the Local Guides challenge, though it was never announced or discussed during the summit.  

There isn't a community set up yet for Kelowna/Kamloops/Okanagon region, at least not one that is supported by Google because I don't see one on this map.

There is one for BC: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/114683686118527726946

And as I mentioned, this is the one for Vancouver: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113884184163116675430

Happy to bounce some ideas if you want to organize a meet up for your area. 🙂

Level 6

Hm, I guess that was last year haha.

Yea, I tried to start a Kelowna community and eventually had to back burner guides. I noticed there were a lot of places that needed photos on google, so I figured I'd start there.

Level 9

We've never really done it here in Vancouver, but I imagine you can round up a few guides and go on photowalks together to add photos to Maps.

That's why it may be useful to have a community set up so you can communicate with each other.  But it wasn't easy and even though we've been around for about 8 months, it still hard to get people excited to come out together since everyone is so busy with life in general! 

Level 9

Connon, I started BC Local Guides, because I didn't see enough interest in smaller cities (Kelowna, Kamloops, Vernon, etc). I'll be in Kelowna July 8th if you want to meet up. 

Level 8

Outstanding review @Shirley  I have enjoyed it greatly.  Sounds very enticing.  

Thank you for pointing me to this review.

Best Regards,

~ Virginia Benedict 🕊