EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

ACCESSIBILITY, SPECIAL NEEDS and GOOGLE MAPS

Back in high school I had a group of friends who loved to do things together. We were classmates as a well as a clique. Aside our academic activities, we ventured further to knowing one another. In turn, we visited our homes and toured the city together. There was a special person among the seven of us but he was never deterred; J was limited by mobility and uses clutches- he was paralyzed from the waist down.

Because the environment wasn’t properly planned to enable people like him move freely, we took turns to carry him on our backs, where necessary. He was ready to do any activity – walking, running, climbing and swimming. Sometimes when we get on a free-way, someone would suggest a sprint and we all get on our marks and race. Yes, J would come last but the fun was that he did run. It gave all of us joy especially him.

One cold day in November, I organized a swimming meet-up and invited the clique. J insisted he’ll join us. He said “I can do anything any of you can do, forget about my leg and clutches!” The clique just love to poke him and most times I loved his reactions. That was our way of making him feel at par with us or with any other human.

We headed to my home and we got excited possibly tickled by the freezing pool. While playing away in the waters, J dived in with a big splash. He landed at the bottom of the pool but couldn’t flap; in a few minutes he was carried off to the diving pad. It was funny and scary. But he is soaked already and getting cold. I trudged him back to the pool at the shallow end which was about three feet. Then, the best swimmers will carry him from four feet to 12 feet and back.

Today, J is a lecturer and we still chat as a group on Whatsapp. They saw my photo recently at the beach and he recalled the swimming pool. After some years, he still faces serious challenges accessing walkways, buildings, elevators, crossings and public places because people like him were not considered in the construction design.

Accessibility NoticeAccessibility Notice

Of course, there are efforts in developed countries to provide first hand information on accessibility but in my country this is not yet available.

Accessible TrailAccessible Trail

How do we help to get people in authority solve these challenges and how do we assist people with special needs find available accessibility data within their environment.

Google map is one single app that provides massive information on accessibility and we can improve this by contributing more.

Accessible Public BusAccessible Public Bus

Let us find time to update routes for people with limited mobility, including wheelchair and pushchair users, old people and the visually impaired. Facilities like elevators, walkways, public buses and buildings should be reviewed with accessibility in mind too.

So, how do you contribute to making the world accessible?  Are there wheelchair trails in your community? And what effort has your country made to enable people with special needs like J live a normal life?

@OSAMA@IlankovanT@HelloJess@PaulPavlinovich@WaweruM@Julien44@LuisRG@Christina-NYC @Osaka78forTRUMP @KarenVChin
Nigerian Paralympic Gold Medalists and Record breaking Precious Orji (middle)Nigerian Paralympic Gold Medalists and Record breaking Precious Orji (middle)

25 comments
Level 8

Re: ACCESSIBILITY, SPECIAL NEEDS and GOOGLE MAPS

Wow.. @EmekaUlor Great post.. you can create a list of wheelchair accessible places in maps also..

Keep contributing,

Fuvad

Level 7

Touche! @EmekaUlor fascinating read again, your stories are becoming quite the read... I had a similar experience growing up while still in primary school. Accessibility issues for deferentially gifted individuals is a nightmare if living on this part of the globe. Good news is, with awareness and education, there's been some remarkable changes but a lot still needs to be done. And it all starts with I, you and everyone basically. I'm so thankful for the Local Guides program championing the change in this area, as I'm always on the lookout for ease of accessibility for the deferentially gifted individuals in our society when mapping. Great stuff!

James Edeani - Lagos Local Guide
Connect Moderator

@EmekaUlor, wonderful post. Great questions you are asking. Happy to read about your friendship with your friend J.  This is a passion of mine and one of the many reasons why I enjoy being a Local Guide to help improve my community via Google Maps. The thing about people who are disable they want the world to see them like you and me, like everyone else, not disable, useless, helpless.

Like you, disability awareness is personal. My uncle became a paraplegic at 10 by a terrible accident. He died recently at 68. He lived a full life in his condition. I have seen how my community has changed both physically and culturally when it comes to  disabilities.  

i live in San Francisco Bay Area. In this area and in the state of California, all of our public, business, and government buildings  are geared for people who are disabled - wheelchair, cane, walker, blind, deaf, and parents pushing baby strollers (prams) - to enter and use.  Our sidewalks, Street signals, parking lots, public transportation, many restaurants that have tables, museums (have Braille and audio tours), make it easy for people no matter their age is or if they can hear or see.

Google believes Google Maps needs to be used by everyone. If you have time, you should watch thIs Local Guides YouTube video series - Rolling On for inspiration. I hope you continue to add to Google Maps for people who are disabled. 

If you are thinking about applying Connect Live, I highly encourage you to apply if you are 21 by Oct 16. You have a story to share!

Tagging @ErmesT @FaridTDF @YK1001 @NunungAfuah to provide their thoughts about what each of their countries have to offer for people who are disabled.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Thanks for tagging me @KarenVChin in this wonderful post.

@EmekaUlor, first of all thanks, I love this post, I hope J is a Local Guides, if not you should convince him to start with this program, because the point of view by an ability impaired is much more useful than the one that we can share.

At LSSummit17 we met @Sashabg, and Alvaro (Alvaro from the Rolling On series) as mentioned by Karen, and they gave us the more real point of view. I agree with Karen, you should apply with this post.

Coming back to your questions, yes, in my country (Italy) there are pats for weelchair, even if most of them are not in the maps. One of my next target is to create virtual tours of this kind of pats.

This is one that I discoveres last year: A-path-for-wheelchair-at-1600-meters-above-sea-level. The first part is also on street view. Here you can see the last part of the path

Of course there is a lot to do, we are moving step by step, the way is long. Last month I was talking with parents of a girl with Down Syndrome, about their vision of the future, and the answer they gave to me was: Technology is our hope, for a better life of our daughter. They wrote a book, with the inspiring title: "when kid I was Down". Now they travel all around Italy, presenting the book, and the original point of view that they have. We becomed friend in a click.

I am preparing a post about them, but is a great pleasure for me to show you a photo

DSC05774.jpg

I would like to invite in here @Julien44, I am sure he want to share with us his ideas

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Wow! Thank you @ErmesT I am impressed with the accessibility trail/path shown by the streetview. This is exactly how people with limited mobility can move seamlessly. I agree with you, technology seems to be the hope as more research and apps are being created to make like better for people with special needs. I am really touched by the initiative of the family -"When kid I was down". Their daughter has created opportunity to help others. Brovo!
Connect Moderator

@wildspan Yes, you are right. The onus is on us (you & I) to make accessibility information available. Looking forward to having meet-ups so we can do more within the city.

Thanks for reading and contributing 

Cheers.

Connect Moderator

Hello @FuvadShah 

Thank you for that nice suggestion. I will work towards creating a wheelchair accessible list on the maps. 

I appreciate.

Cheers

Connect Moderator

@KarenVChin awww! Thank you. I can relate. I see you have in-depth knowledge about the topic. And its really heart warming that facilities (brailles and audio) are available within your community to help people with special need.

I am sorry to hear about your uncle and I am glad he lived a fulfilled life.

I'll surely watch Rolling On.

Looking forward to attending Connect Live, hopefully, as I am over 21. Meeting @ErmesT is definitely in my bucket list. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Kind Regards,

Emeka 

Level 7

Waoh

Great piece!

Accessibility is a great issue and it poses great challenges on the special people (physically challenged) amongst us.

This challenges even become worse in developing countries and then for a heterogeneous place like Lagos, Nigeria, the hustling and bustling makes it more difficult!

I will never forget the love and care being showed to any physically challenged person around us (in Lagos) even while hustling but they need to have life on their own.

Great piece once again, more of this will help those in authority to do more regard the accessibility of the physically challenged!