aashishvanand's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Adding IFSC and SWIFT code to bank listing

It would be ideal to add additional information to all Banks in India as well as globally.

• To prevent duplicate entry of the same branch
  • To make it easy for someone to look up the bank's code instead of calling the recipient and getting the info manually.

In India Indian Financial System Code aka (IFSC) code which is unique to each branch of each and every bank, To transfer money from one account to another using RTGS (Real Time Gross Settlement) or NEFT (National Electronic Funds Transfer) require this IFSC Code for the destination branch.

I have seen personally people asking these details over the phone again and again for every transfer or waste time looking up at https://www.ifsccodebank.com/ or https://bankifsccode.com/ providing this detail in the map would be time-saving. 

Similarly, Globally SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) aka (SWIFT-BIC, BIC, SWIFT ID or SWIFT code) which is recognized by the ISO is a must to all the banks and most of their branches. This information could also be added so that it makes fund transfers easier. People can directly look into to maps instead of manually calling and asking it or doing a web search. 

All these SWIFT or NEFT codes are official websites of the banks or it could be obtained easily using a simple web crawler I hope Google has already indexed this info too.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
26 comments
Level 9

Re: Adding IFSC and SWIFT code to bank listing

@aashishvanand Nice thought Aashish, Last week I had a nightmare trying to reach an ICICI branch in Chennai, both the Google Map and ICICI website map were pointing to inappropriate places. One of the ATM was marked as Main Branch and ATM and Branch was not coming up on Map search.

I strongly believe, just as transportation details are managed by third party, bank locations and details should be moderated with actual services available in each branch, that would be a lot of help to people. Adding IFSC / SWIFT (where applicable) codes would also help people, along wit list of services like, Loan Servicing, Asset, Locker Facility and other specific functions.

Level 10

@ErmesT I would also want you to have a look at this issue. Which is essential as there are duplicate listings of banks and Addition of SWIFT, IFSC codes to the bank to help anyone locate it much quicker. I assume Google should take steps like the public transport listing (https://maps.google.com/landing/transit/index.html) which can only be listed and edited by a specific authority. or a special LG team could be formed like community moderation where that team could take care of the listing.

Connect Moderator

Much of the world has dumped the SWIFT code system. In Australia while the branches do still have SWIFT codes they're only used internally and for international (WIRE) money transfers. Customers use the Bank-State-Branch or BSB along with their account number to enable transactions. The reason most banks have gone away from the SWIFT is because if you know the SWIFT and the internal account number in some banking systems you can withdraw as well as deposit funds.  As the world as moved onto disruptive financial technologies like PayPal to move money around the world using a WIRE transfer is unusual (mainly because they're expensive and painful).

This means that any kind of coding system would have to be internationalised. You've probably noticed that internationalisation is difficult.

Regards Paul

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich  Agreed, But SWIFT was the most common way in inter-continental transfers. That's why I referred swift here.  Could it be made region specific at least like within the country or in the case of the European Union or much similar grouping?  In the case, in a country if grouping isn't available then it could be left bank or this need not be implemented there.

In India, we follow IFSC (Indian Financial System Code) which is unique to each bank (Both Private and Public) and its branches, At least to remove the duplicate markings and make the whole banking system searches in Google Maps and Google cards more intuitive to the user.

Connect Moderator

Hi @aashishvanand

Interesting question. We have different issues in your post. 

The first one is related to bank locations, the second to share information. I agree with you that this kind of information should not be loaded by the user, and the bank should take care of it. Note that using my business a large company can load information of multiple places using a database.

We cannot compare this kind of static information with the dinamic data of "transit"

Of course this is my opinion only. 

About SWIFT code, I agree with you @PaulPavlinovich

Ermes 

Level 10

Hey, @ErmesT 

For Map Listing issue

I am from India and I am explaining the situation here, Public Banks are taking the least care on mapping them online. Just one example The State Bank of India is one of the largest banks and oldest bank in India isn't still fully mapped all the ATM's and Branches in Google Maps. FYI State Bank has balance sheet size of ₹33 trillion, 278,000 employees, 420 million customers, and more than 24,000 branches and 59,000 ATMs. I thought adding this IFSC code as a feature will prevent anyone from re-adding a branch or an ATM as the IFSC code is already mapped to another place. In this way without using and depending on Google's my business we can prevent duplicate entries. 

Comparing it with Transit.

These banks don't usually shut down or change locations that often. I have seen branches of this bank that run in the same place that's as old as I am today. So a special team or a separate community could be formed only of this kind of edits who has the access to edit or modify banks? Or even the worst case LG's with a certain number of approved edits can do it. This could drastically improve the Banking info to a much-trusted level.

I am sorry if I am against the view of both the connect moderator. But this is the situation in India. and this will help a lot of them finding information

First Hit in the Google search result is IFSC related. What I meant adding this to the Google Maps where the card fetches the right side box from. Indirectly the maps also get validated as well as the info is also shown to the people directly what they are looking for.  

Screenshot (8).png

Second and the Third Hit in the Google search result is IFSC related. Adding this info will only help people that's what I meant. 

Screenshot (9).png

This is the exact duplicate issue what I meant there is only one branch named Panangal Park which is highlighted in green. All the other entries are duplicate ones which are done by Unethical LG guides who does duplicate addition just for the sake of points. I have been to that branch several times so I knew the place correctly. What in case of a traveler or a newbie to the city. He will obviously be frustrated only with the credibility of the Google maps.

Screenshot (10).png

Connect Moderator

Potentially yes it could be region specific. I'll leave it up to a Googler to take it from here.

Level 9

Check this Indain Map with perfect details and meaning for search with IFSC Code  

http://app.mapmyindia.com/sbifinder/

now Apple Map , is coming up Facebook have added places so the information must be more accurate for Google .

There must be list of Banks when adding a Bank branch so that it will be unique and will avoid duplicate ( SBI Kochi ) (State bank of Indai Kochi Branch ) Etc

so Screen the information with IFSC code and Shop should be verified with GSTIN No .( So many unautorised listings are created in Map)

@aashishvanand @PaulPavlinovich @ErmesT .

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Connect Moderator

Hi 
When you find a listing/review that shouldn't be on Maps this post by Googler Gus shows how to to report and resolve issues
https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Help-Desk/How-Do-I-Report-Content-on-Google-Maps/m-p/202916
Regards Paul