StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

A visit to a local Ramadan Evening Bazaar in Kuala Lumpur

A visit to a busy local Ramadan Evening Bazaar in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I had promised myself to shoot a 360-video walking tour through a local evening Ramadan Bazaar this year. And luckily for me, the weather took a breather from the evening showers and I had my opportunity this day. It was also an opportunity for me to visit a Ramadan bazaar in an area I had not been for the last 10 years. One of the many popular Ramadan Bazaars in Kuala Lumpur is the one in Taman Tun Dr Ismail. Google Maps location here ( https://goo.gl/maps/sCSZmdWP14s ). Located along the Jalan Tun Mohn Fuad 2 road, adjacent to the Mc Donald's in TTDI, it's one of the busier evening bazaars in town. Many Muslims visit here to buy food in preparation for breaking fast in the evening, as well as visitors from all other faiths and races who come to participate in the evening food market.

With the Ramadan evening bazaars, most stalls are set up to sell food and drinks, for breaking fast. Stalls are set up from as early at 3pm right until 8pm at night. One difficulty when coming here is the traffic and the lack of parking as the area is always congested. Once the parking is sorted out, which is usually rather far from the spot itself, then a short walk to the bazaar area. In the distance, one will already be able to smell all the different foods cooking and the sound of crowds moving along. As you reach the mouth of the bazaar, towards the evening, huge crowds congest the walkway, many stalls building up queues of people waiting for their turn to purchase the food of choice.

Besides the reason to shoot a 360-video, I also needed to purchase food items for a breaking fast activity with some friends later in the evening. And this was a real opportunity to sample many of the local food and snacks. I had spent RM 20, which is equivalent to USD 5, and bought so much food and snacks to be shared by about 15 of us for breaking fast. Some of the many myriads of delicious food available includes roasted chicken, fried chicken, BBQ lamb, noodles, chicken rice, fried squid, many varieties of local cakes and pastries, burgers, biryani rice, fruits, jellies and desserts and so much more.

Join me in my 360-video walking tour with narration (above). Video shot with the Xiaomi MiSphere in 4K (best experience to view in PC in a large Full HD / 4K screen)

IMG_20180603_012024.jpg 

IMG_20180603_012058.jpg

IMG_20180603_012206.jpg

The above are some photos of the crowd and food stalls.

Most certainly, the Ramadan Bazaar is a great place to visit, to come participate in the local community, as well as to sample all the wonderful food available. This experience is a must do when in Malaysia during Ramadan.Do join us when visiting next time.

Tagging our Malaysia Local Guides members: @Haseeb @AkmalB @AlsmieA @Cweng @PavelSarwar @Shirni @Gini @Saidulkarim @Nabeel-Khan

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
11 comments
Level 10

Re: A visit to a local Ramadan Evening Bazaar in Kuala Lumpur

Level 9

Lively food bazaar @StephenAbraham, thanks for writing a post about it and sharing with us,  do add the photo album if there is one for us! 

Level 9

Mashallah @StephenAbraham, seems a lovely bazaar to shop for Iftaari.

Level 9

Thanks for sharing

@StephenAbraham

The best thing I liked on the 360 video is all the stalls are in yelllo canopy . The street looks beautiful . 

Was it an organised food stalls . 

Anyway it was great to see the people moving around the street . 

Great effort .

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 8

Thanks @StephenAbraham for sharing with us your great experience.

Level 9

Iftar time can't think of anything else, makan makan everywhere 🙂

Thanks for sharing bro @StephenAbraham

Level 8

Hi brother @StephenAbraham

Very nice. Thank you for sharing your local Ramadan Evening Bazaar visit in Kuala Lumpur

Cheers

Level 10

Hi @StephenAbraham

The beauty of the Ramadan Bazaars is ,not just the Muslims,all religions all the races living in Malaysia,buy delicious food, drinks and snacks from Ramadan Bazaar and enjoy their time,

Thanks for sharing the 360 video,

@Sariga most of the Ramadan Bazaars are organised and the yellow canopies are provided by local administration free of charge, whoever wants to business in Ramadan bazaar,but rent have to pay for one month,

Level 10

Wow awesome pictures and video dear @StephenAbraham anna.

You have covert the whole market and 360 video gives the feel of my real presense there.

Thank you, hope you enjoyed the food. Tell me what all you liked and especially what are all you are tried or going to try in your kitchen?

With love

John Peter