AntonellaGr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Sile River, stories of water

The Sile is rather unusual, it is a river that “rises” from the depths of the ground with pools of limpid and vital water, a network of springs, called “Fontanassi”.

You can know the Sile in two ways: experiencing its water, in a canoe or small boats, on foot or by bicycle. For our activities we have started to map two paths, accessible for the disabled for most of their itinerary. As a consequence we have also started to explore the natural environment  surrounding  us. The first path, where the Sile is originated, or rather “rising”, is “La Porta dell’Acqua near  the Gran Bosco dei Fontanassi. It is less frequented than the second one the “Burci cemeterybut, on the other hand, less crowded means much more relaxing.  

Look carefully  at the signals. Burci cemetery  25 km for human being or  25 minutes flying for a dragonflyLook carefully at the signals. Burci cemetery 25 km for human being or 25 minutes flying for a dragonfly

Gran Bosco dei FontanassiGran Bosco dei Fontanassi

Accessible pathAccessible path

Undoubtedly the Burci (old freight transport boats) are fascinating, the remains that emerge on the surface of water, evidence of a “slow” era that no longer exists, the accessibility of the path, attract many people. Unfortunately (or luckily, depending on the points of view) on Sundays and in summer it looks like a city central area. It took ages to map the path,  if you want to take your time and relax it is better in winter.

Burci CemeteryBurci Cemetery

Humidity

In summer nature is lush, very green and you can find a great variety of flowers. I thought about it for a moment and tried to answer the question “why do I come here and not somewhere else?” What can I find so particular worth telling?” The answer came to me from the humidity of the place. Yes, just the humidity of the Pianura Padana,  so often depressing, with its skies never, or rarely, completely blue.

It was surreal to find out that, as  in the last period I have frequented other places, I have missed the humidity (normally detested) that makes you feel the physical sensation of “passing through” a place as if you were swimming metaphorically through an impalpable water. Water that you feel  and leaves you a little breathless. In summer the green that surrounds you is greener than green but, in my opinion,  you can fully understand this environment of land and water especially in autumn and winter. With the fog...

Burci CemeteryBurci Cemetery

Fog

Try to imagine the autumn fog, the shape of the places that fade, the sounds are not clear but muffled. Humidity is the main attraction, again and more strongly, the sensation of swimming in and through the place. Time is suspended, you cannot get the feeling of time because you cannot see the sky. Yet  the noise of water in the background, some nutria that dives, the beating of the swans’ wings define the contours of the place.

Often with the mapping activities, we have been accused of digitizing everything and making people “walk around” without having to leave the sofa. Nothing could be more untrue. You can see the place on a screen, you can even follow a path, but you cannot feel it. Can you “swim” in the humidity? The only image of a place does not define its complex and changeable reality. Experiencing by feeling the reality of a place is the key word.

Panta Rei, everything flows … reality is a continuous becoming

Fog along SileFog along Sile

Casier, TV, Italia
19 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Sile River, stories of water

Great post and beautiful photos @AntonellaGrThank you so much for sharing and I'll be on the lookout for your future posts.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hey, I was there with you, @AntonellaGr, so let me add some more content of this beautiful story, that is recalling and matching with other stories that we wrote about the river, and the surrounding area.

So, welcome in the "Gran Bosco dei Fontanassi"

Water, in several different forms.

Water that is coming out from the groung, in hundreds of small springs

A few kilometers after the spring, the river is adult, and more important

Caption: Sile River - Sunset - Quinto di TrevisoCaption: Sile River - Sunset - Quinto di Treviso

Water for protecting and giving energy to my city

Caption: Sile River - Entering TrevisoCaption: Sile River - Entering Treviso

Caption: Sile River - Watermill in TrevisoCaption: Sile River - Watermill in Treviso

to arrive, after the city, to the "burci Cemetery"

Have a fun, @Ivi_Ge

Ermes

Connect Moderator

@AntonellaGr, I can hear the "silence" in your photos. I like places that there are no "crowds."

I wonder for those who are not familiar with your area, could you also add all of the Google Maps links to your post?

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

@AntonellaGr, Buci Cementary picture I like most in your beautiful and informative post! 

Thank you very much! I didn’t link Italy and forest in the past so much, but you show me, that I have missed something ....

On reason more to going to Italy soon....😉

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Google Moderator

Hey @ErmesT,

Thanks for great picture and added content of this beautiful story. One of my favorite picture from your post is "Sile River - Sunset - Quinto di Treviso". It is absolutely amazing 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Thank you @Ivi_Ge

This is one more picture of Sile river at sunset in winter 

Winter Sunset at Sile RiverWinter Sunset at Sile River

Antonella

Level 8

Looking forward to meeting you and your family @TorM!

Antonella

Level 8

Hi @KarenVChin. You are right! Links provided!

Ciao

Antonella

Google Moderator

Hey @AntonellaGr, that picture is awesome too. Thank you, you guys really make my week more positive.