IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Rambutans of Sri Lanka

Rambutan is a seasonal delicacy in Sri Lanka. This tropical fruit is more similar to Lychee and Longan. Rambutan season in Sri Lanka starts from July mostly and there are two types of Rambutan fruits. One is red and the other is yellowish orange. These two varieties differ in taste as well as price in the local markets of Sri Lanka. I love the red one is sweet when comparing to the yellowish orange one which is a bit sour. These photos were taken last year when I was traveling from Colombo to Ratnapura. Let's have a look at it while we are waiting for the next season of Rambutan shower.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

@LucioV @ErmesT @ShafiulB @SampsonF @SoniaK @MahabubH and other friends, have you ever tried this fruit?

Ratnapura, Sabaragamuwa Province, Sri Lanka
11 comments
Level 10

Re: Rambutans of Sri Lanka

Level 10

@IlankovanT i would like to eat those fruits, i am so much found of litchi and u said it is similar it would be a pleasure have one .I like Sri Lankan cuisine, i watch lot of shows by Peter kurvita on sri lankan food and one day i would love to visit the beautiful tear drop country and explore .  

Level 9

One of my favourites and missing them so much here 😞 @IlankovanT thanks for the temptation 😄

Level 8

@IlankovanT

In India we call this fruit "Lychee"

This is also a seasonal Fruit.

The Lychee Looking so tasty

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Level 10

@IlankovanT

In malaysia Rambutan season will start in August actually it's a delicious fruit but I don't like it 

BECAUSE OF ANTS 

it's ants favourite fruit too.

Connect Moderator

Yes @NarenChandra, I've tried in Malaysia. It is one of my favourite fruits.

You can find it also in Italy, I've tried once and I will not do it anymore. The imported fruits have an horrible taste.

Level 9

@LucioV yeah Mauritius is also famous for Rambutans.

@NarenChandra I love to hear there is a fan for Sri Lankan cuisine. Try to visit Sri Lanka soon. Yeah, this is similar to lychee but the flavor is a bit different. 

@SumuduH Hope this post will be a trigger to let you book a ticket to Sri Lanka soon.

@Umashankar lychee is a bit different from Rambutan.

ha ha.. @AkmalB we can get more ant free rambutans in Sri Lanka during the season.

@ErmesT may be because of the long time taken during shipments, they lose their freshness.

Level 5

@NarenChandra i love watching Peter Kurvita shows aswell.

Level 8

Hi @IlankovanT Really nice photo. I have never tasted such fruit before. Sometimes they have it at some store. When I see him, I have to buy it and taste it. Even though I know it will not be as if it's fresh from the tree. Thank you for interesting information.