JoshuaR1232345's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Where to put the mark of a location (center of building or entrance)

I found myself in a debate with someone the other day about where the marker on a map should go; the two schools of thought fell here…

• A) The marker should be placed at the center of the building.
  • B) The marker should be placed in the building slightly set back from the main entrance.

What do you think?goog debate.png

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Where to put the mark of a location (center of building or entrance)

Hello,

The directions from Google are that all places are to have the marker placed in the middle of the feature.

So if a place takes up the entire building, the marker goes in the middle of the building.

If a place occupies only part of a building, the marker goes in the middle of the the part it occupies.

If a place consists of more than just a building; examples being a campus, park or airport; then the marker goes in the middle of the geographic area.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hello @JoshuaR1232345,

I previously wrote about where map markers should optimally be located, but as you've identified, there are plenty of different schools of thought regarding it's real location. There seems to be things about a hidden marker thrown into the mix too. It's pretty open to debate, so long that it's still in the general vicinity; there are plenty of examples and different scenarios in that linked post too that others have discussed.

In your example:

• Costco Wholesale should be the centre of the building as the primary tenant.
  • Costco Optical as a secondary tenant should be placed in the general area where the Optical section is.

Well that's what I believe anyway.

Connect Moderator

Hi @JoshuaR1232345

Thanks for starting this conversation. Even if I'm not a mapping expert, I'm usually following the way that is indicated in here by @Briggs

(thanks) 

I'm moving this conversation in Mapping-Your-World board, where better fits. 

Thanks both of you for being helpful to the community

Ermes 

Level 10

@Briggs wrote:

Hello @JoshuaR1232345,

I previously wrote about where map markers should optimally be located, but as you've identified, there are plenty of different schools of thought regarding it's real location. There seems to be things about a hidden marker thrown into the mix too. It's pretty open to debate, so long that it's still in the general vicinity; there are plenty of examples and different scenarios in that linked post too that others have discussed.

In your example:

• Costco Wholesale should be the centre of the building as the primary tenant.
  • Costco Optical as a secondary tenant should be placed in the general area where the Optical section is.

Well that's what I believe anyway.

Agree 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great question. I myself have been in such dilemma so many times but I look at it this way:

1. Public places such as government, museum's, sport fields, school's should have their mark at the center, giving that entire building belong to them, so there is a sense to give them full liability.

2. Shopping mall stores, street stores, other businesses should have their mark at the main entrance.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

The directions from Google are that all places are to have the marker placed in the middle of the feature.

So if a place takes up the entire building, the marker goes in the middle of the building.

If a place occupies only part of a building, the marker goes in the middle of the the part it occupies.

If a place consists of more than just a building; examples being a campus, park or airport; then the marker goes in the middle of the geographic area.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great answer