JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Best Practice: Correcting errors you accidentally made

[As an experienced Local Guide, I now sometimes come across inconsistencies or notice that errors have been made that I used to make myself when I started out. So I am publishing a few 'best practice' posts, in the hope it can help others.]

Every piece of information you ever added to Google maps and every edit you ever suggested was 100% perfectly accurate, right? Hang on: some of them were not? You sometimes make MISTAKES? Of course you do - and I will readily admit: so do I. We're all human, and that inevitably means we sometimes make mistakes.

As conscientious local guide you of course don't make those mistakes on purpose. They rather slip in by accident, but you only notice them once you have submitted the information. And then it sinks in: "OMG, I have made Google maps worse, by adding false information!" (especially if it is a suggested edit that was approved within seconds - I still get a bit of that awkward taste in my throat when I recall the first time it happened to me).

Image by PublicDomainPictures at PixabayImage by PublicDomainPictures at Pixabay

So: what to do to undo your wrongdoing? First and foremost: there is no 'undo' feature, so a 1-click solution is simply not available. But fixing the error is easy enough: you simply have to use the 'Suggest an edit' function again to upload the correct information.

One final thing: my personal experience suggests that it is best not to make the 'correction edit' immediately after the first edit, but to wait a couple of hours or days. Not that I make so much of those errors myself, but one time when I submitted the 'correction edit' immediately, this second edit got status 'Pending' after the incorrect info had been approved within seconds. (Perhaps consecutive edits of the same field with a short interval causes some 'suspicion' flag?). Another correction (of a house number for a place I had added), made several hours after the first one, when I had returned home and had researched it on the internet, was approved within seconds. (But then again: that could have been a coincidence - and I'm obviously not going to make more mistakes on purpose just to test that hypothesis.)

Other posts in this series:
Best Practice: Entering Opening hours
Best Practice: ALL CAPS / all lowercase
Best Practice: Correcting pin location
Best Practice: Choosing a more specific category
Best Practice: Submit changes one by one
Best Practice: Find the right zoom level
Best Practice: Reporting duplicates
Best Practice: Adding places without house number 

Best Practice: Filtering 'Check the facts'

Best Practice: Find the right category

Best Practice: Create on mobile / Complete on desktop

Best Practice: Improve your reputation

Best Practice: The best order for suggesting edits

Best Practice: Get rid of legal names

Best Practice: Attempts to add bus stop or train station

Disclaimer: the practices described here as best practice are my personal interpretation, and I don't claim any level of official endorsement.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
5 comments
Level 6

Re: Best Practice: Correcting errors you accidentally made

This is my favourite of  all Posts!

I love your photo sharing the angst.

Thankyou for the information!

Silly, I know, but how to I add  adisclaimer to my posts? May I please cut and paste your disclaimer?

Let me know, ok?

ChristineBrandon
Connect Moderator

Hello @ChristyFromCanada, very nice to hear that you like the post. Getting this kind of feedback is most rewarding.

About the disclaimer: feel free to copy & use it yourself, if it reflects what you want to express!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

@JanVanHaver,

really good posts from

you always!

Maybe, as you are not able to join the European Meet Up in Kraków we agree to meet somewhere in Germany? 

I’m travel addicted... If you want supply any contact data via private message? 

Only proposal.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 6

I would love to come from Germany. I believe some of my dna is German!

I am preparing to send in a sample to 23andme to find out more about myself!

I appreciate your posts too. Your English is pretty good.HI

ChristineBrandon
Level 6

I can use all the help I can get.

ChristineBrandon