JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Best Practice: Correcting pin location

[As an experienced Local Guide, I now sometimes come across inconsistencies or notice that errors have been made that I used to make myself when I started out. So I am now publishing a few 'best practice' posts, in the hope it can help others.]

On Google maps, the placement of most pins, that indicate where exactly a point of interest (POI) is located, is correct. But there is also a considerable amount of pins which are not placed at best possible location. This can be:
* just a little off (in the middle of the road instead of on the building)
* somewhere more or less near to the POI (a bit further down the street, or at an intersection nearby - this is often the case when no house number was entered, or when the house numbers are quite different on either side of the road, e.g. when house number 100 is across house number 77, with 101 being further down the road)
* completely wrong (can be because a business has moved and the pin location was not adapted, or because a common street name, say Main Street, was used with a wrong ZIP code)

As you might imagine correcting the first type is quite easy, the last one quite hard - the 'worst case' I've seen myself was over 100 km off.

The best approach (when working in the mobile version) is to open Google maps in satellite view and zoom in until pins start popping up. If you notice a pin that seems to be oddly placed (e.g. in the middle of the street) click it to select the point of interest. A small white box with the name of the POI will appear at the bottom of your screen. If Street View is available for that area, you will get a preview of Street View just above the POI name: click this preview to open Street View in full screen mode. This allows you to explore the area and check if the POI is actually there and move up and down the street if needed. To place the pin in the correct location, however, you will need to return to the satellite view. So make sure that you pay very close attention to the Street View images, especially if the POI is in the middle of a bunch of houses that all look very similar. Useful indications can be:
* the shape and color of the roofs
* the placement of one building compared to another (some are closer to the street than others)
* roadmarks
* trees
As already mentioned in previous posts: remember that Street View images can be outdated, so addtional information either from other pictures that were uploaded on Google maps or that you might find on the website can help to get the correct and up to date information.
Then close the Street View to go back to satellite view, click the POI name and click Suggest an edit. In the edit screen, click the map preview to open the full screen map, zoom in as much as possible (to make 100% sure you can select the best possible location) and then click the correct location to move the pin there (in the desktop version you have to actually drag the pin to the correct location - which can be quite a challenge if you have to move it relatively far). You will then be asked if the address also needs to be changed or not. In my experience this is not needed in most cases.

Correcting a pin location will bring you 5 points, so it is definitely worth looking into.

Other posts in this series:
Best Practice: Entering Opening hours
Best Practice: ALL CAPS / all lowercase

Best Practice: Choosing a more specific category
Best Practice: Submit changes one by one

Best Practice: Find the right zoom level

Best Practice: Reporting duplicates

Best Practice: Adding places without house number

Best Practice: Correcting errors you accidentally made

Best Practice: Filtering 'Check the facts'

Best Practice: Find the right category

Best Practice: Create on mobile / Complete on desktop

Best Practice: Improve your reputation

Best Practice: The best order for suggesting edits

Best Practice: Get rid of legal names

Best Practice: Attempts to add bus stop or train station

Disclaimer: the practices described here as best practice are my personal interpretation, and I don't claim any level of official endorsement.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
5 comments
Level 6

Re: Best Practice: Correcting pin location

Thank you very much for this post with all the helpful links. I will read all of them!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks again!

christyabrandon

ChristineBrandon
Level 6

Thanks!

christyabrandon

ChristineBrandon
Level 6

Excellent information that needed to be made more accessible for awhile now; I tip my hat to you.

What are your thoughts on the most useful rubric for selecting marker placement once you know you're putting it on the right structure? For instance, let's say you're attempting to make an entry for a school more accurate. Would you place the pin on the actual front doors to the main building? The center of the main building? The center of the campus itself, even though it's not put to any use other than a courtyard? I've wrestled with this decision several times over the years and would like to know what others think and if there's an official guideline from Google on the matter.

Level 7

@PMello

I am also interested in this particular issue and so far - in practice - I have given precedence to the readability of the map in terms of the tightly-packed labels and have moved some of the pins so that they may all be more clearly seen.

Part of me feels that it would be nice to see some form of regular alignment of labels to the front entrance of some of the shops but that's probably a bit OCD on my part ...

🙂

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Connect Moderator

Hello @PMello, that school example is indeed a tricky one, as schools often consist of multiple buildings. What I usually aim for in those cases is putting the pin marker where the main entrance is. Maps users basically need to find that when they enter the school as destination.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply