cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JanVanHaver Level 9
Level 9

Best Practice: Find the right category

[As an experienced Local Guide, I now sometimes come across inconsistencies or notice that errors have been made that I used to make myself when I started out. So I am publishing a few 'best practice' posts, in the hope it can help others.]

I did not intend to publish this tip, as it was something which also happened to me, and I felt really silly when I figured out what the solution was. But a few days ago there was a question on the forum from someone facing exactly the same problem. So I will confess to it after all.

When you add a new point of interest, one of the mandatory fields is 'category'. You can't submit the information unless you add something in that field. And obviously you want to add the best fitting category. But the problem seems to be that the list you get presented to choose from is quite short and only contains some general categories (Restaurant, School, Bank, etc). Some very basic things like 'Hair salon' or 'Accountant' are simply not listed!

IMG_20171206_200101335.jpgThis was an easy one - and in the "default" list: bank

If you're at this point, you have made the invalid assumption that the categories in that list are the only ones you can choose from. You should really only look at them as a kind of frequently used categories that are shown as examples. In reality you can access almost 4.000 different categories (or 3.000 in most other languages). The only thing you need to do is start typing the name of what you are looking for. In the hair salon example, typing 'hair' will certainly show you the category you are looking for. Yes, it is that easy.

Other posts in this series:
Best Practice: Entering Opening hours
Best Practice: ALL CAPS / all lowercase
Best Practice: Correcting pin location
Best Practice: Choosing a more specific category
Best Practice: Submit changes one by one
Best Practice: Find the right zoom level
Best Practice: Reporting duplicates
Best Practice: Adding places without house number
Best Practice: Correcting errors you accidentally made
Best Practice: Filtering 'Check the facts'

Best Practice: Create on mobile / Complete on desktop

Best Practice: Improve your reputation

Best Practice: The best order for suggesting edits

Best Practice: Get rid of legal names

Best Practice: Attempts to add bus stop or train station

Disclaimer: the practices described here as best practice are my personal interpretation, and I don't claim any level of official endorsement.

15 comments
Badruddeen Level 8
Level 8

Re: Best Practice: Find the right category

Hello @JanVanHaver

Excellent work. I really appreciate it.

Happy guiding. #LetsGuide

AkmalB Level 9
Level 9

Hi @JanVanHaver

It's a good topic to discuss,as I had face same problem in past to categorise the places,

Your point is valid,but I wanted to add some more,

Hairdressers category was not in the maps but now a days it's available,even when it was not in maps ,I used to categorise it barber shop,

Money changers are fall in currency exchange category,as there is no money changers in default category

So we have to think a bit when we edit categories, because it's a most important part,

Thanks,I hope you get my point

Have a nice day

JanVanHaver Level 9
Level 9

@AkmalB you are absolutely right: sometimes it is tricky to find the exact term. In a previous post, I have already suggested that the database behind the categories would be extended with a column that contains alternative terms. If that would then be made searchable, you would find the 'money' example you mention by typing 'exchange'.

By the way: your comment made me double check the example I had included (which was chosen randomly) and there was a problem with it indeed. 'Hairdresser' as category is not in the English list, it is 'Hair salon'. So I have adapted the post - thank you for the feedback!

AkmalB Level 9
Level 9

Thank you so much @JanVanHaver

You made and write a great series of BEST PRACTICE,

I will go through one by one and I am sure I could learn a lot from your experience,

Thanks again

JanVanHaver Level 9
Level 9

My pleasure @AkmalB, it is always nice to hear other people find good use for them.

Do not hesitate to share them in any way you want! #LetsGuide

ArielleM_ Level 3
Level 3

Awesome post @JanVanHaver. Thanks for taking the time to craft this. I'm going to forward this one to my team :). Would you happen to have any images (just one will suffice) you'd want to link to this post?

Keep 'em coming!

JanVanHaver Level 9
Level 9

Awesome @ArielleM_! As 'bank' is one of the categories I mentioned as listed on the default list, here's one I took a while in Temse, Belgium. Will that do?

IMG_20180127_143551496.jpg

ArielleM_ Level 3
Level 3

Hey @JanVanHaver,

You can feature any picture you like :). We're just trying to encourage our Local Guides to include images in posts. It simply makes the overall experience more cohesive and enjoyable as a content consumer. In this case, I would go with another photo, maybe something more relevant to your article and possibly higher quality. Still, attach this one to your post if you feel it suits best.

Thanks for your time!

JanVanHaver Level 9
Level 9

@ArielleM_ I tested a few and then went for the one I now added to the post. As for photo quality: I'm a smartphone-only LG  :-)