JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Best practice: ALL CAPS / all lowercase

[As an experienced Local Guide, I now sometimes come across inconsistencies or notice that errors have been made that I used to make myself when I started out. So I am now publishing a few 'best practice' posts, in the hope it can help others.]

There are multiple ways in which names of businesses or other points of interests can be written incorrectly. Sometimes you come across downright typing errors where you can suggest a name correction ('Architcet' instead of 'Architect' is one I have come across myself a couple of days ago), although you should always carefully check that the 'awkward' spelling is not intentional (business owners are sometimes very creative and playful with language).

IMG_20180512_115957527_LL.jpg

Another problem frequently popping up is the incorrect use of either ALL CAPS ('CAFE RIO' instead of 'Café Rio') or all lowercase ('ann's fashion' instead of 'Ann's Fashion'). Sometimes this is intended, but often it is not (especially in the case of smaller, local businesses). So the real problem is figuring out what is the 'official' way the name of the business is written. Google Maps is offering some tools to help you with this: in the business details section there is a link to the website, where you can check how exactly the business owner is writing the name (the 'About us' or 'Contact' pages are usually the best place to check) and there is Street View which allows you to check the way the name of the business is spelled at the actual location (some caution here too: in some areas the Street View images can be outdated).

And by the way: suggesting corrections for names can be an easy way to earn points as each edit will bring you 5 points!

Other posts in this series:
Best practice: Entering Opening hours
Best Practice: Correcting pin location 

Best Practice: Choosing a more specific category

Best Practice: Submit changes one by one

Best Practice: Find the right zoom level

Best Practice: Reporting duplicates

Best Practice: Adding places without house number

Best Practice: Correcting errors you accidentally made

Best Practice: Filtering 'Check the facts'

Best Practice: Find the right category

Best Practice: Create on mobile / Complete on desktop

Best Practice: Improve your reputation

Best Practice: The best order for suggesting edits

Best Practice: Get rid of legal names

Best Practice: Attempts to add bus stop or train station

Disclaimer: the practices described here as best practice are my personal interpretation, and I don't claim any level of official endorsement.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply