SP31's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

When Maps Leads to Unexpected Discoveries <3

Have you ever had Google Maps lead you to absolute gold in terms of the destination being completely unexpected? This past Sunday, I had the pleasure of experiencing this on a quest for brunch.

My friends and I were looking for a place to have brunch through the Explore feature on Maps, and we all finally decided on a place that was a short drive away and had incredible ratings. So we were off on our drive, only to be stopped in our tracks - an officer and orange cones separated us from our destination. We groaned as we were very hungry and wanted a direct line to the restaurant. Unbeknownst to us, there was much more beyond the pedestrian safety barricade that was set up. 

We soon realized that the restaurant we were considering was actually a part of the Yellow Green Farmer's Market - a hybrid open-air/warehouse farmer's market featuring produce, craft foods, and other artisanal items to explore. We parked nearby and walked in with few expectations, only to have them exceeded. The energy was lively and contagious, and the market was much larger and dense than we could've ever imagined. From jackfruit, to fresh seafood and even delicious pies, there was so much to experience while enjoying the live music. We had originally budgeted an hour, which easily turned into three hours without any regret whatsoever. This experience also taught me to use the edit feature to mark certain places as being located within or part of larger locations, which will be helpful for others who may think these locations are stand-alone.

You can see some of the photos I snapped while exploring the market below. 

Have you ever been led to a great, unexpected discovery when using Google Maps?

Exterior vendors and area.Exterior vendors and area.Interior view of the market.Interior view of the market.Google-y colors :)Google-y colors 🙂IMG_20181028_132647.pngIMG_20181028_132909.pngIMG_20181028_133135.pngIMG_20181028_134211.pngBeautiful crafts.Beautiful crafts.From the outside looking into the warehouse.From the outside looking into the warehouse.The foods that we ate - including thai noodles, ceviche, dumplings, American BBQ, conch salad, and tacos.The foods that we ate - including thai noodles, ceviche, dumplings, American BBQ, conch salad, and tacos.

It also provided a great opportunity to take a few 360 shots, which I am making more of an effort to learn about and upload as well.

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Yellow Green Farmers Market, North 30th Road, Hollywood, FL, USA
7 comments
Level 10

Rif.: When Maps Leads to Unexpected Discoveries <3

Level 10

Re: When Maps Leads to Unexpected Discoveries <3

Yes! This was a great discovery! I will share about unexpected discoveries during maps exploring!

Level 8

What a pleasant surprise! 😄 

Level 8

Hi @SP31 Great Photographs!  Thanks for sharing with us 😃

Former Google Contributor

Hi @SP31,

Thank you for sharing your article! It's amazing. What did you enjoy the most? Have you discovered anything that can be your next favorite food?

By the way, I usually do the same I like to try new things. So, I go to Google Maps, Explore tab and start searching!

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thanks, @VasT! I definitely enjoyed the dumplings the most I'd say - I never used to like dumplings so they're the food I'm exploring right now, but I hope to maybe try the Ethiopian cuisine next time too actually. 

Exploring through Google Maps is so much better now! 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Former Google Contributor

Thanks to all Local Guides and their efforts!

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!