Kwiksatik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

What would you do for an In-N-Out Burger? #StateChallenge California

I had difficulty selecting the right photos of In-N-Out burgers for this article because I have taken so very many of them over the last 20 years...

Growing up in Los Angeles, the In-N-Out Burger was a near-weekly experience. For a very affordable price, quick service, fresh food with a local history framed on every wall was one of our go-to meals. The way I speak about In-N-Out Burgers might sound like an advertisement, but for those of us who grew up in southern California, the love of this restaurant chain is a passion that we just don't leave behind. I have seen people wearing their branded t-shirts in airports, given them a thumbs-up, and this commonality alone is an adequate ice-breaker to strike up a conversation.

In-N-Out was first opened in 1948. The location was just under 10 square feet in size. In 1948, they utilized speaker technology to open their first drive-thru location. Starting in 1971, they used printed paper mats for serving customers. As a child, I remember studying their company history and eyeing their map to see where other nearby locations were. 

A photo of an In-N-Out BurgerA photo of an In-N-Out Burger

Later in life I moved to Bozeman, Montana. Over 1,000 miles away from the nearest In-N-Out Burger. I am proud to say that twice in my 20's I convinced friends to take a road trip with me to have this meal - once to Provo, Utah and once to Las Vegas, Nevada. Both times, it was absolutely worth it. The company is now more than 70 years old and has more than 330 locations - meaning the drive to an In-N-Out is getting shorter and shorter.

The taste of the food has not changed in 30 years, and their style of decor is identical across all locations across all time-frames, and because of this, eating at these establishments is a bit of a time-machine for memories.

A photo of an In-N-Out burger.A photo of an In-N-Out burger.

In 2018, I had the pleasure of bringing a few other Local Guides to In-N-Out Burger in the evening after our Connect Live activities had ended. For transportation, @PennyChristie and I utilized the Connect Live van. After documenting our mischief on social media, we were lucky enough to be re-shared by the Local Guides channel - image below. I've also included a link to the original video... May all our journeys be so much fun.

A screenshot of @PennyChristie and @kwiksatik in front of the In-N-Out Burger sign, carrying a cutout of a van, posted to Instagram by a fellow Local Guide.A screenshot of @PennyChristie and @Kwiksatik in front of the In-N-Out Burger sign, carrying a cutout of a van, posted to Instagram by a fellow Local Guide.

This post is part of the #StateChallenge organized by @Kwiksatik and @Denise_Barlock. If you want to find out more, check out this post. You can also find other submissions by searching the #StateChallenge hashtag. There is also a virtual meet-up on California coming up which you can sign up to here!

San Francisco, CA, USA
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: What would you do for an In-N-Out Burger? #StateChallenge California

Yum! @Kwiksatik  Now I'm hungry for a delicious In-N-Out burger.  Where's that orange Connect Live bus these days? I need it to pick me up from Sydney please.  I'm starving and craving some of those secret menu animal fries we shared. Is that what they were called?

Midnight In-N-Out burgers and fries after all of Connect Live 2018 activities were overMidnight In-N-Out burgers and fries after all of Connect Live 2018 activities were overThe "bus ride" to In-N-Out burgerThe "bus ride" to In-N-Out burgerAnimal FriesAnimal Fries

Connect Moderator

Oh that van @Kwiksatik  @PennyChristie  that was a fun night

In-N-Out have their trademark registered in Australia and every now and then open a pop-up store where they fly in a crew to run a pop-up for half an hour or so, in that time they churn out hundreds of burgers and animal fries. They do this to keep the trademark alive even though they don't seem to have plans to exist here on a permanent basis which is a bummer. Our fast food burger market needs a shake-up.

Paul

Connect Moderator

I love that video so much @PaulPavlinovich 

Have you tried Betty's Burgers in Australia. They are a mix of In-N-Out Burger and Shake Shack. There's a few of them in Victoria as well.

Connect Moderator

Yes I have @PennyChristie and I do like them. We are spoilt for burger choice today aren't we. There are loads of great small burger places. I would love to see a new chain give Maccas and Hungry Jacks a run for their money. 

Paul

Connect Moderator

Ah, yes, some great times at In-N-Out during previous summits/CLs, and of course, great food. This post totally gave me an appetite @Kwiksatik !

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

@PaulPavlinovich I have no memory of seeing that footage before! Thank you so much for bringing such a big smile to my face!

Connect Moderator

@PaulPavlinovich just saw this footage (again) and still find it hysterical. Thank you so much for posting it!

Connect Moderator

It was an excellent night @Kwiksatik of friends being only friends without a care in the world for a brief moment of time.

Level 10

Yummy 😄😄😄

Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Md. Jakir Hossan