AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

What’s the best reason to visit your hometown?

Caption: A photo of the Manhattan skyline taken across the water on a partly cloudy day.Caption: A photo of the Manhattan skyline taken across the water on a partly cloudy day.

From its awe-inspiring skyscrapers, to its endless art scene, to its perfect pizza, there are tons of great reasons to visit New York City. I should know — I've lived here my whole life. But to me, the very best reason to take a trip to NYC is to experience its cultural diversity.

Step onto almost any subway, and you’ll be surrounded by people of different races, religions, and social classes. You’ve probably heard of Little Italy and Chinatown, but did you know you can also visit Little India in Queens, Little Poland in Brooklyn, and Little Ireland in the Bronx? It's estimated that as many as 800 languages are spoken throughout the city's five boroughs.

Our restaurants, shops, and museums celebrate ethnicities from around the world. Just the other day, I gave a stranger directions in Albanian, ate Vietnamese food with a friend from Venezuela, and bought jewelry from a French designer.

These are just a few things that make me appreciate being born and raised in New York City, but I want to know what you like most about your hometown! Is there a restaurant you love to take your family to? How about a museum that’s as stunning on the outside as it is on the inside? Or a scenic park where you can take in the Earth’s natural beauty?

Local Guides like you come from exciting places all over the globe. So tell us, what's the best reason to visit your hometown?

54 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What’s the best reason to visit your hometown?

Hi @AriMar, lovely short story about why you love your hometown New York. Quite often we do forget that New York isn't just Manhattan. For example did u know that in Astoria (Queens) there is part where live a lot of people from my country Serbia ? ☺️☺️

For me best part of visiting New York, specifically Manhattan, is the fact that you can discover that he is not flat, but as the name said it is island of many hills (Man- island, hattan-hills). 

Realizing that in such a short period of time (less than 200 years), New York has become such a magnificent city in which everything is exceptional is the biggest reason for me to visit this megalopolis! ☺️My personal Scale model of a Manhattan!My personal Scale model of a Manhattan!

The best reason to visit my hometown Uzice is to see how small place can be vibrant!

Here, there are a lot of things that can be interesting for new visitors. 

First, u need to go and see Old town Old town UziceOld town Uzice

There is a lot of history here

Walking on the walls of Old townWalking on the walls of Old town

You need to be careful when walking, but u will enjoy in the views of city center.

There is a big chance that when u arrive at Uzice u will come across city main square, the most urban in Europe, when it was builted in 1961.

Uzice central squareUzice central square

Town is really nice and it deserves visit from all people around the world.

Uzice centerUzice center

Every part of city is great in it's way

On the right is main bus stationOn the right is main bus station

I 💓 Uzice; so u will too!

I heart Uzice on the city beachI heart Uzice on the city beach

Thanks for this topic AirMar!

@Julien44 take a look at this post and tell us a bit about your hometown!

Level 7

HiHi @AriMar

My small island near bali island . You will see bali 30 year ago if you visit Lombok island first. I cant counting how many paradise place in there.

8934295_20160710020319.jpg

How delicious local food of lombok islandimages.jpeg

and how friendly people will say hello to the guest every single time.

images-2.jpeg

images-3.jpeg

images-4.jpeg

Its just simple reason to have visit my hometown.

Connect Moderator

Considering I live about 10k miles from where my hometown is, there are lots of reasons

YaXOdsK

1. Family - I've been living away from my family since I was in high school. It's safe to say my main reason to go back to my home town is to visit my parents. I usually go back at the end of the year, and if schedule permits, another trip in the middle of the year. My dad's birthday is 30th of December so that works perfectly. This year I made an effort to go back as well during my mom's birthday.

2. Food - Can't lie, this is another big reason. I've been living outside Indonesia since 1998, but Indonesian food still taste the best. I love Western food, but sometimes they can taste a bit bland. I love spicy food and food with strong flavors

3. Catch up with old friends - I still keep in touch with my childhood and high school friends. I only see them maybe 1-2 times a year, but whenever I do, there's no sense awkwardness. That's when you know you're truly home and feel welcomed.

4. Keeping up with current news - Living so far away from home, it's very easy to isolate myself from news and conditions regarding Indonesia. Whenever I go back home, I always try to talk to as many people as possible. One thing that usually come up 'When are we going to start a business?' 😛 I really love this kind of mentality.

5. Relax - It's nice to just take a break, ignore my work emails, and just chill. Maybe travel to some nearby cities to unwind. Priceless.

Level 10

Hi @AriMar,

Thanks for sharing a bit of you with your hometown. I have never been to NY, so it is a great opportunity to discover.

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for tagging me and also for sharing Uzice. It gives me the chance to know you deeper and to discover even more Serbia ;-).

I am pleased to share with you some more about me. I am coming from a a city call Alençon in Normandy France. 

I love going there first of all to see my family and my friends. It is also a beautiful city with historical monuments and a lovely place to relax. Unfortunatly, the photos are not very nice (taken in winter seanson). Here are the town hall, the courthouse and the pedestrian streets.

2017-12-26 (3)-COLLAGE.jpg

I hope you will enjoy.

See you

Jul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great to see this @Julien44, I toughth NANTES is your hometown, but clearly it's not.

Thanks for sharing, it is easy to turn winter into summer, in our minds ☺️.

I love it!

Google Editor

@Anonymous Thanks so much for sharing what makes Uzice special! It looks like a beautiful place to visit. 

Google Editor

@Icok Wow, Lombok island looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing a little more about what it's like to visit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ronda, a small town hidden in a rural area in southern Spain.ronda.jpg

Ernest Hemingway called it "a romantic setting" for some reason.Ronda7.jpg

Ronda is a very unusual city. It is located in a strategic enclave, surrounded by mountains and seated on a ravine about a hundred meters deep, known as the "Tagus". In addition to height, Ronda also has centuries of history.Ronda4.jpg

The unusual mix of height, nature and history gives Ronda spectacular views, as if it were a photographic scenario. No matter how many visitors there are, it impresses you until you feel out of breath.Ronda2.jpg

Ronda has several bridges, but the most famous and impressive is the Puente Nuevo, whose construction goes from the base of the gorge to the top.Ronda5.jpg

THE FOOD IN ROUND IS MADE WITH LOVE, PREPARED BY THE SPANISH GRANDMOTHER YOU NEVER HAD.

Ronda has several first class restaurants, some of which offer the best of Andalusian cuisine. So get ready for an explosion of flavors, although keep in mind that Spanish food is not famous for being spicy, it is rather a combination of sweet and salty.vinoronda.jpg

Ronda also has centuries of history. It was founded by the Celts, to be later built and named by the Romans. The Arabs conquered it in the 7th century, transforming it with its customs and architecture. And the Christians, finally, reconquered it in the fifteenth century by reimplantating their culture and Western values. Every corner, every street and every building has a story to tell, a hidden detail or recognizable influence of times gone by.

Ronda8.jpg

Ronda3.jpg

Ronda6.jpg

Source: @Anonymous

https://plus.google.com/communities/101809183418846544060?sqinv=MGgzd2RVWW5ia1gtMVNBVHVFNUVRc2RwVTE5T3FB

Level 8

Hi @AriMar, thanks for openning the topic.

I think for most of us it's gonna be very dificult to shortlist 😄

I tried it once and ended up with a custom map - please enjoy Prague as I do!