uavalentine's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Traditional Ukrainian clothing

Traditional Ukrainian clothing has many stylistic varieties, depending on the ethnographic region. But the main and constant attribute in any region is a beauuuutiful traditional shirt, called vyshyvanka, meant the embroided shirt.

Caption: LG UaValentine and her mom in traditional Ukrainian clothing and the Carpathian mountains in Bukovel Ski Resort behind us, Ukraine (LG uavalentine)Caption: LG UaValentine and her mom in traditional Ukrainian clothing and the Carpathian mountains in Bukovel Ski Resort behind us, Ukraine (LG uavalentine)

In Ukrainian culture vyshyvanka used to be used as a guard talisman to protect the person wearing it and to tell everybody the story of his/her origin. In early Christian tradiotions  the embroidery was used in the "vulnerable places", where evil spirits could enter the body: along the neckline, cuffs, shoulders, back and hem. 

On the head the embroided hat (for men and married women)or wreth of flowers (for girls) were put on the same reason as a symbol of health and protection.

Nowadays we use the traditional clothing for national holidays and weddings, but the shirts and embroided dresses are often used in everyday life too cause it looks amazingly beauuuutiful! 

It is a real peace of art, cause it takes weeks if not months to make such a shirt or hat by hands, but when you look at colors you get fascinated by its beauty right the same moment!

Every color on has its meaning: black stands for sadness, blue for peace, green for health, yellow for prosperity and red for love, of course 😉

So love and be loved, my dear Local Guides! 

Caption: LG uavalentine & her mom, dressed in embroided vyshyvankas, jackets, and Carpathian hats in Bukovel, Ukraine (LG uavalentine)Caption: LG uavalentine & her mom, dressed in embroided vyshyvankas, jackets, and Carpathian hats in Bukovel, Ukraine (LG uavalentine)Caption: Two ladies in traditional jackets, hat and headscarf from Sinevir lake, the Carpathians, Ukraine (LG uavalentine)Caption: Two ladies in traditional jackets, hat and headscarf from Sinevir lake, the Carpathians, Ukraine (LG uavalentine)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#My Introduction   #My Contribution  #My Instagram #TeamUkraine

Valentine, Local Guide from Ukraine
Bukovel, Ивано-Франковская область, Украина
23 comments
Level 10

Re: Traditional Ukrainian clothing

Great post and so amazing photos @uavalentine 
Keep up to share the beautiful photos and informative posts.
Thank you for sharing

Best Regards
Rezgar

Level 7

Interesting post !! 

Level 8

It already seemed like an interesting piece when I read the subject but the closing lines of the passage sealed it. This is my first time knowing about this and I love it. Hopefully one day I'll witness all this in person. Thank you for sharing it with the community.

Connect Moderator

Muy lindo post el que nos compartes @uavalentine , el significado de las camisas con bordados es muy interesante, nos podrías contar un poco más el sitio donde tomaste las fotos, y otra cosa por ejemplo estas ropas tradicionales solo las utilizan en eventos conmemorativos o folclóricos ?

Otra cosa que me llamo la atención es el tocado o bincha que llevas en la cabeza, vi algo parecido en algunos documentales de History Chanel, de habitantes del Asia central, podrías contarnos un poco sobre el y su significado. 🙂

@ErmesT , quizás te guste este post.

Saludos Farid

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper left part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Connect Moderator

Thank you for tagging, @FaridTDF , so not to miss this post.

So beautiful @uavalentine , like Farid I am very curious about the place where you took the photos and when you use it.

Let me also introduce a couple of friends, both coming from your country: @NatalkaR and @JaneBurunina , they will be happy to meet you

Level 8

Thank youuuuu @Rezgar !!!

Level 8

Thank youuuuu @SrinidhiiGaneish!!! 

Level 8

Thank youuuuu! 

What about  traditional clothing in your country @razamohsin ? 

Level 8

Awesome photography @uavalentine  nice & colorful

Vijay Paradkar
India