AntonellaGr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

The Butterfly Effect

In a tiny little village, up on the green hills in Friuli Venezia Giulia, there were (and still there are) many – but really many,many - butterflies.

You can see butterflies everywhere: on the wall of the houses, in the streets and in their own house.

The butterfly house is so big, three big apartments with trees, plants, water (it is a bit humid in there) and butterflies flying everywhere or resting on some flowers.

Before arriving in their apartments the butterflies travelled for a long time, they crossed the Ocean but they were babies and they can’t remember their long journey. They know only the tiny little village on the green hills and they are happy like that.

20190501_152117.jpg

20190501_151951.jpg

It was too obvious to describe the three greenhouses and the butterflies and I have chosen to begin with a short story to tell the real beautiful story of “La Casa delle Farfalle” in Bordano.

“The House of Butterflies” was established in 2003, it is an eco-museum and is the largest in Italy. The three greenhouses host three different eco systems the African jungle, the Asian and Australian rainforests, and the Amazon. The most peculiar aspect I have discovered when visiting “la Casa” is the project “The Bosque Nuevo”.  Bosque Nuevo is a butterfly farm located in Costa Rica. Their project is innovative: by selling “baby butterflies” (pupae) they aim to buy cultivated land and to re-convert it into native forest.

Bosque Nuevo projectBosque Nuevo project

The butterfly farms have created an alternative economy, replacing when possible cattle-breeding or  cultivation that are among the causes of forest destruction.

The little town of Bordano has its own story connecting past events and this  new approach to economy. Bordano was affected by an earthquake in 1976 and it was almost completely rebuilt by 1983, now there are around 750 people living there. In 1996 the Regione Friuli Venezia Giulia started a project, which included street art, and its focus was… guess what… butterflies! Find out more on Ermes's post

Street artStreet art

It really seems that the Butterfly Effect (Wikipedia) has come true. The flapping of the wings of a butterfly has generated very large effects from one side of the ocean to the other

20190501_145827.jpg

Bordano's House of Butterfly, Via Canada, Bordano, UD, Italia
24 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The Butterfly Effect

Hi @AntonellaGr 

Amazing pictures and really interesting detailed post! 

Very poetic and romantic in the same time! 

Thank you for story, which you told us!

Cheers, 

Jane 

Level 8

Thank you @JaneBurunina 

I am happy you liked the story!

Cheers 

Antonella 

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing more details about this amazing place @AntonellaGr! I wonder does this village have an annual Butterfly Festival?

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

Hi @KarenVChin 

no, there is no annual Butterfly Festival but I have found an"intriguing" event. A visit by night at the greenhouses and a walk in the area nearby.

I'm thinking about it..

Cheers

Antonella

Connect Moderator

muy lindo post @AntonellaGr , me gusto mucho el punto de vender pupas para favorecer la creación del bosque natural,, hermosas fotos las que compartiste. En panamá tuve la oportunidad de ir a un mariposarío , son increíbles me podría haber pasado todo el día en el sitio contemplando tanta variedad de belleza y colores que son las mariposas, gracias por compartir.

Saludos Farid.

Level 10

Level 8

Thank you @davidhyno 

Where did you take your picture?

ciao

Anto

Level 8

Thank you @FaridTDF 

I really like this butterfly farm projects! 

Ciao

Antonella

Level 10

Hi @AntonellaGr !

These photos are from Oasi Rossi in Santorso (VI) - Italy

This is my review about this place.

This is the website :  it is a green space that includes a tropical butterfly "An air-conditioned greenhouse of over 1200 square meters which offers the visitor the opportunity to approach numerous butterflies that fly free in an environment where their tropical climate has been recreated." 

Huge area for picnics, games for children, train ride, a small zoo, restaurant and even a flower shop! A fixed stop for those who love butterflies and for all the families who want to spend a day with their children and friends in the midst of greenery and nature. During weekends and holidays this park is literally stormed: birthday parties, school trips, meeting with friends ... adults eat and chat, children play!

Ciao!!!