JaneBurunina's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

#TeamUkraine - The Land of Nature's Power

Hello dear friends Local Guides!

This post is included in the #TeamChallenge series about interesting places in Ukraine from #TeamUkraine.

I was born and live in the city of Mykolaiv, which is located in the South of Ukraine at the confluence of two rivers of the Southern Bug and Ingul.

Exploring the Mykolaiv Region, I found many amazing places!

I want to tell you about one of them. This is the Granite-Steppe Pobuzhie Regional Landscape Park, which covers the sharp rock massifs of the Aktovsky Canyon and smooth and rough rapids of the Arbuzinsky Canyon

Caption: Arbuzinsky Canyon, Valley of the Arbuzinka River, Mykolaiv Region, Ukraine (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)Caption: Arbuzinsky Canyon, Valley of the Arbuzinka River, Mykolaiv Region, Ukraine (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)

Location and Details. This fantastic place is located in the North-West of the Mykolaiv Region in 2 hours driving from Mykolaiv on the banks of the Southern Bug River and its tributaries Mertvovod and Arbuzinka.

The Aktovsky Canyon is located in the valley of the Mertvovod River. This is a tributary of the Southern Bug. The length of the Aktovsky Canyon is about five kilometers. The height of the rocks is up to 50 meters. In some places, sheer stone walls form. Huge boulders lie on the banks.

The Aktovsky Canyon is considered the only one in Europe, wich  geological and landscape terms exactly repeat the famous canyons of North America.

So it turns out our Ukrainian Grand Canyon, only in miniature! )))))

The Arbuzinsky Canyon is approximately one and a half kilometers long in the Arbuzinka River Valley. There are huge stones, which take on a rounded shape and are covered with perennial moss.

Magnificent Canyons are framed by a large amount of flora, which grows here almost everywhere, wherever possible. And looking closely, you can see all the diversity of fauna. A large number of species of animals and plants in this picturesque corner of nature are listed in the Red Data Book of Ukraine.

Caption: Canyons are full of a huge amount of unique flora (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)Caption: Canyons are full of a huge amount of unique flora (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)

Admiring this terrain, one wonders how such a landscape could have formed in the southern steppe zone?! The age of this natural miracle totals billions of years!!! The sea has dried up here 60 million years ago. This is one of the oldest land areas in Eurasia, formed from volcanic rocks!

Caption:  Granite rocks of the Aktovsky Canyon, Mykolaiv Region, Ukraine (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)Caption: Granite rocks of the Aktovsky Canyon, Mykolaiv Region, Ukraine (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)

Myths and Legends. The Actovsky Canyon has another name - Devil's Valley.

There are many legends about this place.

It’s believed that in this place the ancient Scythians performed their rituals, and later began the burial of kings. According to legend, the rulers set off on their last journey with the flow of Mertvovod River. For that reason the gloomy name of the river - Mertvovod is Deadwater River. Since ancient times, locals consider this place as the Land of Power.

There is an another legend. During one of the Tatar raids, local residents cooked a poisonous brew and poured it into a river upstream of the Tatars' camp. Enemies drank some water and died!

According to the next version, the river was named after the terrible battle of the Zaporozhye Cossacks with the Turks, after which, due to the dead bodies, no river water was visible.

Indeed, as it actually was, no one knows for sure now - that's all in the distant past!

Caption: crystal clear water  of the Arbuzinka River (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)Caption: crystal clear water of the Arbuzinka River (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)

Activities.

For lovers of relax, this is the most wonderful place to enjoy the silence!

Walking along the Aktovsky Canyon, I find small waterfalls with crystal clear water. Nature created bathing pools here. The water is so clean and pleasantly cool that it instantly feels like all fatigue is washed off!

Locals come here to fish. So don’t forget to take fishing rods to enjoy fishing!

If you are a fan of camping, you will certainly find a place here to set up camp near a convenient descent to the water.  Where you can sit in the evening by the fire, enjoying the extraordinary beauty.

Well, what about fans of extreme sports?

Of course, this place is intended for them! Climbers sharpen their skills on the local granite-basalt rocks.

The path to the Canyons is difficult. Often, travelers don’t reach it, limiting themselves to hiking on the rocks in Aktove Village. But I definitely recommend you get to the Canyons, believe me, it's worth it!!!

Caption:  hiking around the Aktovsky Canyon, Mykolaiv region, Ukraine (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)Caption: hiking around the Aktovsky Canyon, Mykolaiv region, Ukraine (Photo by Local Guide @Jane)

How to get there. If you decide to go by public transport, first you need to get to Voznesensk and transfer by bus to Tricrati Village  (this will take you about 40 minutes). But minibuses rarely go. Therefore, in order to save time, it is better to use taxi services.

Here you will not find the conditions for a comfortable stay - bases, hotels, shops - none of this is here.

This area has not lost its pristine originality!

Therefore, sacrificing comfortable conditions, be sure to visit this unique place and enjoy the fabulous scenery, clean air, unique plants and amazing animals.

These days that you spend alone with Nature are guaranteed to be forever imprinted in your memory!

Truly feel the Power of Nature here!!!

This post is included in the series of posts about Ukraine by #TeamUkraine

(introducing our country, Ukrainian culture and traditions)

like a part of the #TeamChallenge proposed by @ErmesT 

You can find all posts of this series searching for the hashtags #TeamChallenge and #TeamUkraine

Aktovsʹkyy Kanʹyon, Актово, Николаевская область, Украина
29 comments
Level 8

Re: The Land of Nature's Power

Wow, wow, wow, @JaneBurunina !

I see that these posts about Ukraine will be extreeeeeeeemely useful not only for foreigners, but for us as well!!

Giving more and more inspiration to travel across Ukraineeeeeeeeeeeeee! 

Thank youuuuu for sharing this beauuuuuuuuutiful place and for having been so quick in writing!!! 

All all all the best,

Valetnine 

Valentine, Local Guide from Ukraine
Level 8

@JaneBurunina Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I would love to visit this place one day. Your photos are beautiful. I also like the detailed content. Is taxi fare expensive or it is a fair price?

Connect Moderator

Hey @JaneBurunina , it seems #TeamUkraine  is already running the #TeamChallenge. This is simply great

It is amazing to see how the ancient rocks are rounded by wind and rain. In my area Dolomites Mountains are very sharp, and we know that the Alps were formed during the last ice Age, while the rocks on Aktovsky Canyon appears to be very very old.

Great post. Thank you for letting us learn more about Ukraine, and for accepting the challenge, of course

Level 9

Hello my dear @JaneBurunina !

Congratulations!

Good for you,excellent post!

I don't know,I am surprised that nice Canyon is in near Mykolaiv!

Great photos!

Is it far from the city?

My best wishes,

Inga

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much dear @uavalentine!!!

I actually have the same feelings about our Ukrainian Nature!!!!! 
I constantly find new increadible corners of nature simply nearby!
Connect Moderator

Thank you @Ant_Bad_Yogi!

Hope you will visit this amazing place one day! I think to take guide tour will be good idea for you. Btw taxi services have a fair price.

Connect Moderator

Thank you @ErmesT 

Really, as I remember from school, the Alps are young mountains)
I agree, the Aktovsky Canyon looks very very old!!!

Seems like #TeamChallenge is gaining momentum!!!!!!!
Cheeers!!!!!
Connect Moderator

Thank you @helga19 

These fantastics Canyons are located in 2 hours driving from Mykolaiv!!!!! It's not so far!

We had day trip with my younger son and his classmates. Really amazing!

Level 9

Thank you dear @JaneBurunina !

Amazing excursion to Canyons!