NguyenNguyenNhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Saving sea turtles in a small islet of Vietnam

In the small archipelago of Con Dao in Southern Vietnam, lies a beautiful islet known as Bay Canh. That is where I spent 10 days helping local forest rangers with sea turtle conservation.

A green turtle is laying eggs on the sandy beach of Bay Canh islet.A green turtle is laying eggs on the sandy beach of Bay Canh islet.

Con Dao is home to the largest population of marine turtles in Vietnam, and Bay Canh is the largest conservation area. Between July and September, many turtles come here to lay eggs, which brings a fascinating activity to tourists. Visitors can stay on the islet overnight and follow the rangers' guide to watch this phenomenon. Everyone has to stay in the dark and only approach mother turtles when they are digging holes, because light and noise may scare them away.

A turtle covering up her eggsA turtle covering up her eggsTurtles use their forelegs to fill in the holes and hide their tracesTurtles use their forelegs to fill in the holes and hide their traces

The holes are about 60 centimeters deep and 20 centimeters wide. A mother turtle can lay from 50 to 150 eggs each time, 2 to 5 times every breeding season. The record of most eggs layed in Bay Canh is 200.

Once the laying process is finished, mother turtles leave their nests and swims into the sea. The forest rangers, along with volunteers, take their eggs to incubating area. 

Volunteers digging up the nest to transport eggs to incubatorsVolunteers digging up the nest to transport eggs to incubators

The incubation ground is a safe place for baby sea turtles to hatchThe incubation ground is a safe place for baby sea turtles to hatch

Half of the eggs will be put in holes with shades to balance the sex of hatchlings, since turtles' sex are determined by light and temperature condition. The incubation area also protects them from outsiders who may cause harm.

After 55 to 60 days, baby turtles hatch and crawl up on the ground. In early morning, rangers will put them in baskets and brings them to the beach. They will quickly follow the light and the sound of waves to crawl to the sea.

Volunteers help bringing baby turtles to the beachVolunteers help bringing baby turtles to the beach

A race towards the seaA race towards the sea

When reaching maturity, these turtles will return to their birth place to lay eggs. Only 1 in 1,000 will survive until that day, so the rangers are working hard everyday to keep marine turtles safe.

Visitors in Vietnam can travel to Con Dao islands by airplane. One-way ticket from Ho Chi Minh city to Con Son airport costs about 70$. From there, you can spend a day on Con Son island, then take a canoe to Bay Canh islet. The price for watching turtles laying eggs is 15$ - 26$ a night, depending on the number of people.

____

All photos taken by me.

Nhi Nguyen
hòn Bảy Cạnh, Bà Rịa - Vũng Tàu, Việt Nam
24 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Saving sea turtles in a small islet of Vietnam

Hi @NguyenNguyenNhi,

Welcome to Connect!

Thank you for sharing this amazingly beautiful post! Saving endangered species is so important. I have not visited Vietnam, but this is a great way to inspire fellow Local Guides interested in saving the environment, to visit.

I'll be adding this to my travel list! 🙂 Do you plan to make this an annual activity?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Thank you for this post @NguyenNguyenNhi 

You really made my day, that is starting with a big smile.

What the volunteers are doing is simply great, in helping wildlife to survive.

I am curious: the turtles are not disturbed by the people around them?

Level 6

Hi @AlexaAC,

The volunteer campaign that I join is organized by International Union for Conservation of Nature in Vietnam. It is held every summer but the specific location changes every year. I would be happy to assist new volunteers when I have the chance. If more people have the opportunity like mine, then the message of protecting endangered species will be spread more widely.

Nhi Nguyen
Level 6

Hi @ErmesT, the turtles are disturbed by people around them. That is why we have to approach from behind them when they are laying eggs. While they are crawling to find a nesting place, we have to sit down and be still for a very long time, pretending to be rocks, until they've found the perfect place and start digging holes.

It's rare to witness a turtle laying eggs when the sun is rising, because most of them do it at night.

Nhi Nguyen
Former Google Contributor

This post is amazing @NguyenNguyenNhi . It gave me mixed feeling of sadness and happiness.

I am very happy to see that there are people who care about this and help the rangers fight the good fight.

Please share more if you have anything else to share.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 5

xin chao @NguyenNguyenNhi 

so beautiful photo i like it so much 

MUTAZ MUAZ . My YouTube Channel
Mutaz. com

Level 5

chao @NguyenNguyenNhi 

so beautiful photo i like it so much 

MUTAZ MUAZ . My YouTube Channel
Mutaz. com