EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Recap Lagos Art Tour

Caption: Local Guides join fists together showing blue Art X wristbandsCaption: Local Guides join fists together showing blue Art X wristbands

November 3, 2018 is a memorable day , as I hosted the first post-CL18 meetup in Lagos. 

Art is gaining some attention in Nigeria and this annual event has continued to attract patrons. Artists, collectors, galleries and enthusiasts converged at the Civic Centre to see some latest works around Africa.

Local Guides toured the galleries on both floors. From the entrance, you could see  artworks by two global acclaimed artistes Shonibare(right) and Enwonwu (left). The two Nigerian born artistes have made giant strides with their sculptures and paintings. Shonibare carved the famous Wind Sculpture  and Enmowu is acclaimed for the rare portrait of Queen Tutu (the Black Mona Lisa). Tutu has been missing for about 40 years and this Is the first time it's being displayed in public after its recovery.

Caption: The portrait TuTu displayed on a black background while a guest admires the artworkCaption: The portrait TuTu displayed on a black background while a guest admires the artwork

Creativity pops up on all human activities and we got some dose here. An artistic concept which was on display played instant sounds when a particular session or word is touched. I tried pushing the word La Casera and the voice of a young seller blared along with moving sounds of cars on a busy street.This is quite entertaining and would be great to have in parks.

Caption: The colorful interactive wall arts play sounds when touchedCaption: The colorful interactive wall arts play sounds when touchedIntriguing  paintings, sculptures, photographs and comics from different countries had some messages or abstract meanings. There were artistes from Kenya, Ghana, Cote D'Ivoire, Mali, Uganda, South Africa, Bostwana, Burkina, Egypt, Ethiopia, Faso, Zimbabwe, Australia, U.K, U.S andFrance.
Hundreds of school children attended the art event in groups and this is quite commendable for the future of art in Nigeria.
Sayo and I have been thinking of becoming collectors, like the names of some great Nigerians that appeared on the wall.

At the end of the art tour, we headed for another artistic crawl. Vera invited us to food tasting and a photo session. Perhaps a welcome party?

Suya made its way to our tables, then the drinks came and the fun began. Suya is a popular roadside spicy food common in Nigeria. It's a sort of barbecue made from various types of meat especially beef. 

Local Guides also had some taste of various drinks from vodka to beer. You should check SuyaBytes, if you visit Lagos. 

Caotion: Hands of some Local Guides picking some Suya with took picksCaotion: Hands of some Local Guides picking some Suya with took picks

While we got knee deep into the Suya and pepper sauce garnished with vegetables, Sayo was taking some breathtaking photos. So, we got into a mini modelling session. Crazy poses and laughter. 

The photos that came out will wow you! (Look through the album)

Caption: Local Guides posing and taking photos during the meetupCaption: Local Guides posing and taking photos during the meetupIn the middle of the fun, we discovered it was @James birthday and the frenzy increased with special hugs from all Local Guides and this snap.Caption: Local Guide James celebrated his birthday on the meetup dayCaption: Local Guide James celebrated his birthday on the meetup day

Towards, the end of the meetup we reviewed the places we had been and some buildings along the street which is one of the highbrow commercial part of Lagos.

Art, Food, Photograpy, Map editing and camaraderie in one meetup.That's Lagos!

Caption: Sayo, Vera, Williams, Emeka, ITunes and JamesCaption: Sayo, Vera, Williams, Emeka, ITunes and James

@Sayo @Vera_chidera Williams, @Oyindamola@wildspan

It's so good to be back in Lagos. Local Guides are simply artistic!

@KarenVChin @brittym @ErmesT @AriMar @PaulPavlinovich @Jesi 

Check of the thrilling Lagos Art Tour Album and short video below.

Cheers 

Emeka

P.s: We looked out for something and found them in place. Big thumbs up for the organizers. Seems they took our feedback from last year. Accessibility Compliance

Caption: Two mobile ramps positioned at the entrance or the event venuesCaption: Two mobile ramps positioned at the entrance or the event venues 

Lagos, Nigeria
8 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Recap Lagos Art Tour

Hey @EmekaUlor

Art, colour and food. The three things that I like more in life.

Thank you for this amazing post, I will suggest it to one of my friend that is into African culture and art. 

Was it the first time that a tour like this was organised in Lagos? 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@Sorbe Thank you so much.

No, this is my first meetup after Connect Live. I have hosted several Art Tours in Lagos and other parts of the country. 

Connect Moderator

Excellent @EmekaUlor that looks really cool. Great fun. Curious that some Australian art has made it all the way to Lagos.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @EmekaUlor

What a great share, thank you! 

Celebrating local artists and artists around the world is amazing and I think you captured the spirit of day, brilliantly! 😊

PS: Perhaps you meant to post the recap in Meet-ups, so I will relabel it, thanks.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Oh wow @EmekaUlor this is lovely! I liked every photo that you posted. Art is an expression of life, and being able to share it with Local Guides is great.

I also find it amazing that the venue took your feedback from last year and added an accessible entrance 🙂 You are really generating a positive impact in the community!

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Connect Moderator

@EmekaUlor It sure looks like it was a very fun meet up, great recap! Is great that you guys had a photoshoot session after seeing the galleries 😛

And it's awesome that the event has ramps now.

Happy belated birthday to James! 

Thank you for sharing this with us, and for tagging me Emeka! I love reading these

Level 7

Waoh, @EmekaUlor

Your post is always comprehensive, easy to read and follow, well explained and with lovely pictures.

Keep up the good work!

Level 6

I had a great time touring and having fun with you guys. Local guides rock!