kasunaaa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[Recap] Habarana - Galoya Blue Line meetup - 36 km of street view covered

Bit of my 360 background story

My focus on 360 photography came about a year ago. From then on I began to research and learn about it. I have heard from my friend @Rumal95 about Sri Lanka's first Blue line meetup organized by @AnuradhaP . Since then, my interest in 360 photography and street view has grown steadily.

I discussed this regularly with my local guide partner @ravindus. After looking at many things, we bought an Xiaomi Mi Sphere camera. But with the desire to contribute to street view, we decided to buy our second camera, the Insta 360 one X. The decision to choose the Insta 360 camera was taken after considering the price, quality, its dynamic range and ease of workflow to SV contribution. After doing some preliminary experiments, we started contributing to Street View.

Me and My Street View CarMe and My Street View Car

I hosted my First Blue Line meetup

@ravindus organized our first Blue line meetup on January 26th. There we were able to successfully add the blue-line to the newly opened section of the Southern Expressway between Kadawatha, Kerawalapitiya.

Photo collage - decorating roof top with local guides logo and how it looks while actually recordingPhoto collage - decorating roof top with local guides logo and how it looks while actually recording

After that I noticed that there was no street view in the section on the Kurunegala - Trincomalee A6 road from Habarana to Galoya. So I organized the Habarana - Galoya blue-line meetup to complete that section.

Meetup banner created using street view mapMeetup banner created using street view map

Blue line contributions from the MeetupBlue line contributions from the Meetup

Due to the limited seating inside car, the number of participants was limited to four.  @ravindus , @Chthuwa  and Suranga joined me for this meetup.  On the morning of February 21st, we left for the meetup from our home.

Photo collage of participants to the Blue-line MeetupPhoto collage of participants to the Blue-line Meetup

We had lunch in the Dambulla area and reached Habarana around 2 pm.

Chathuranga and Suranga getting their first hands on 360 cameraChathuranga and Suranga getting their first hands on 360 camera

This 360 recording experience was new to Suranga and Chathuranga. First we gave them an introduction on street view and 360 photography. After setting up the 360 camera, we started recording 360 along the road.

Alert ! sign boards to warn drivers about wild animalsAlert ! sign boards to warn drivers about wild animals

It was an amazing experience drive through green paddy fields and nature. We were little bit worried about encountering wild elephants on the way driving through the forest, but never had such experience.

Green paddy fields passed byGreen paddy fields passed by

A board with group of wild elephantsA board with group of wild elephants

Recordings were made from Habarana to Galoya on the A6 road and then to Minneriya on the B617 route. It took us about an hour to cover that 40km, and we had about 25 gigabytes of data recorded in the memory card. 

Local Guides enjoying  bath after meetupLocal Guides enjoying bath after meetup

At the end we took a dip in the stream from the Thambalawewa reservoir. @ravindus and I uploaded the recorded data to google map.  That way, our second blue-line was successfully completed.

Here is the link to shared album of the meetup.

Enjoy the recap video of the meetup.

@IlankovanT @InaS @KatyaL @PaulPavlinovich @love_ikoma_toyo @Aruni hope you would enjoy this RECAP. Please tag anyone who would love to read this recap.

Kasun Silva                              

Guiding Star 2021   | Underwater mapping | Street View mapping
Habarana Junction, Sigiriya Rd, Dambulla, Sri Lanka
19 comments
Level 8

Re: [Recap] Habarana - Galoya Blue Line meetup - 36 km of street view covered

Beautiful write-up @kasunaaa . Another 36 km of Street view we covered together. Now the total is 82km..👏👏👏👏

with the Express way we will pass 100km in style. 

@PaulPavlinovich we didn't see any Wild Elephant friends on the roadside. But who knows 360cam might have captured elephants we missed. 

Level 10

@kasunaaa This is great. I am still waiting to host a meetup with you all. Let's do it soon. 

Level 9

@ravindus Can't wait to see your recap of the Hambanthota Express way blue line meetup. 360 footage uploading would take some more time I guess.

Kasun Silva                              

Level 9

@AnuradhaP Thanks for the comment. Yes we need to get our selves together soon in a meetup maybe another blue line one.

Kasun Silva                              

Connect Moderator

82km - nice work indeed  @kasunaaa @ravindus well done - one day you'll get some elephants onto the Map 🙂

Level 9

@PaulPavlinovich Thank you for your compliments.

Just two days after the meetup, I heard news that wild elephant had broken into the Galoya village. In the dry season wild elephants come out of the jungle frequently for food and water.

Kasun Silva                              

Former Google Contributor

Hi @kasunaaa,

Thanks for sharing your incredible recap and thanks for the tag!

This is really impressive you managed to cover so many kilometers of Street View! Well done! I'm glad to see your enthusiasm and activity!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

I imagine it could be quite terrifying when a creature that large comes into your home @kasunaaa 

Level 9

@PaulPavlinovich We have that kind of incidents happen in some areas in our country. Not only they damage to property and crops but also sometimes attack to people. This conflict between elephants and people has been there for a while. Authorities are taking steps by making electric fences to control but still happening. 

P.S. those beautiful intelligent animals not aggressive normally.  

Kasun Silva