EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Recap: Accessible FESTAC

It was a long trip to FESTAC Town with the traffic, bustles and public transit system. Saturdays can be very busy as many people partake in various social activities like wedding ceremonies.

I arrived the Mile Two Estate with @ObinnaA already on ground. We exchanged pleasantries while waiting for other three registered LGs. Finally, we had to commence after 35 mins.

The mall has two entrances with ramps. There are dedicated parking lots for people with disability as clearly indicated with signs.

Caption: Some brand presence at the Festival Mall LagosCaption: Some brand presence at the Festival Mall LagosCaption: Step free entrance at the Festival MallCaption: Step free entrance at the Festival MallCaption: An accessible parking sign clearly postioned on the parking lot.Caption: An accessible parking sign clearly postioned on the parking lot.Festival Mall has several outlets within the facility including a fast food corner, grocery store, play shop, clothier, pharmacy, cinema and many more. A few Wifi options are available for free.

We checked the play shop to see some of the games available here. They had this dancing platform, VR Corner, shooting range, motorcade strip, fantasy football, basketball and arcades. It was a bit of fun trying out some games. Many kids and their parents were having fun here.

Caption: Local Guides (L-R) I.K, Kalu, Henry, @EmekaHouse, Chisom and @ObinnaA tCaption: Local Guides (L-R) I.K, Kalu, Henry, @EmekaHouse, Chisom and @ObinnaA t At the last lap, we visited a transport terminal where we met other local guides - @Onukakalu ,, Henry and a Cotonou based newbie Ikechukwu. There were lots of questions about the Local Guides programme and mapping of locations. We spent the rest of the day showing LGs and intending ones how to edit a location, report a duplicate place, write detailed reviews, organize a meetup, participate on Connect Forum and taking a 360 degree photo.

Refreshment and food came through! Thanks to Obinna and Ikechukwu. We agreed to organize more meetups to improve the Google maps in the area while IK promised to host us in Cotonou, Benin Republic soon. I can’t wait!!

Caption: cars parked along the FESTAC link road as fun seekers patronize hospitality spotsCaption: cars parked along the FESTAC link road as fun seekers patronize hospitality spots

Weekends are fun in FESTAC, surely the lounges, bars, hotels and eateries were filling up fast. Vehicles were already parking on the roads and the music getting loud. I's tempted to join the groove but I had to head home! 😊

Here is the photo album

Xoxo

Emeka

Festac Town, Lagos, Nigeria
12 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Recap: Accessible FESTAC

Wow @EmekaUlor you traveled very long distance for the Accessibility walk, that's really amazing.

In your pictures, I saw a board for wheelchair accessible parking, 

I never see , or I can say I  see the board for accessible parking just once or twice in my life here in Karachi. But I wish that people can understand the sensitivity of this issue here . 

#OneAccessibility campaign can change the minds of people. We can creat more awareness by this great campaign.

Thank you for your initiative 👍

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 10

Hi @EmekaUlor thanks for sharing wonderful accessible Recap post. 

Former Google Contributor

Hey @EmekaUlor,

Excellent! Thanks for sharing this very nice recap! I see you guys had fun on your accessibility walk!

A big thanks also for your awesome contribution to Google Maps and willingness to help fellow Local Guides!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

@EmekaUlor it's nice to see the accessible entrance and parking sign.

It's great that besides adding accessibility related information, you shared your knowledge on Local Guides and had fun trying games too. Congrats on the successful meet up!

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for sharing your endless dedication to the program, @EmekaUlor.  Next time find some time to join the groove, you deserve it. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

It was a wonderful experience meeting with an experienced local guide like @EmekaUlor, the accessibility walk was very successful. We exchanged views and I must confess I learnt a lot from his wealth of experience. I asked him questions on some grey areas like mapping of locations, meet ups, and the use of 360¤ camera which he was able to unblock. I feel motivated now to contribute more to make more places accessible by creating more impact on the Google Map. 

Level 8

You guys did a really good work there; loved it. 

Level 2

@EmekaUlor festac looks very beautiful and also have some very interesting government institutions like the NIgerian immigration service,the festac police station etc come to talk of the way their streets are named like 23road 21road still makes it beautiful but the issue of traffic in festac makes this area a bit challenging which this due to the way cars are parked along the road site we still suggest a solution should be invented to curb this challenge...

Connect Moderator

You are quite right. FESTAC is possibly the most accessible town in Lagos. From the street walks to the large road networks with awesome connectivity. The trees and streets, building segmentation, playgrounds and businesses sections. It's superb and the proper way to plan a settlement.