PoliMC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet Accessibility Champion, Onuka Kalu

Caption: A GIF with different photos from meet-ups and accessibility walks organized by Onuka Kalu. (Local Guide @Onukakalu)Caption: A GIF with different photos from meet-ups and accessibility walks organized by Onuka Kalu. (Local Guide @Onukakalu)

Local Guide Onuka Kalu (@Onukakalu) lives in Lagos, Nigeria, and is interested in wheelchair accessibility. He creates accessibility lists and works on enhancing the visibility of accessibility information on Maps. His passion is helping people with disabilities explore the world through the information on Google Maps. 

Why are you interested in accessibility?

I am interested in accessibility because I want to see an inclusive Google Maps where every user can benefit [from the information] irrespective of their status. 

Why are you passionate about accessibility information being shown on Google Maps?

I feel the urge to give people with special needs and even older adults a sense of belonging and a better life experience.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information to/for Google Maps?

Here in Nigeria, government and corporate organizations are complying with accessibility standards. I make efforts to promote accessibility on Google Maps, like creating lists on accessibility and highlighting accessibility information in my reviews. 

Also, I raise awareness on Connect about the need for Local Guides to consider people with disabilities in their activities on Google Maps.

What area (mobility, vision, hearing etc) are you most interested in improving?

I must say mobility.

What is your favorite Google Maps feature?

It is the creation of lists, which make accessibility information readily available.

Caption: A photo of Onuka Kalu next to a sign at the entrance of the Special Education School for the Blind in Nigeria. (Local Guide @Onukakalu)Caption: A photo of Onuka Kalu next to a sign at the entrance of the Special Education School for the Blind in Nigeria. (Local Guide @Onukakalu)

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

I want them to know that accessibility is the responsibility of every Local Guide. Fairness and equality should be the watchword here.

#AccessibilityIsFreedom. Freedom is when all people have equal opportunities to navigate and explore the world around them. We can give them this freedom each time we contribute to Google Maps [and help them] make informed decisions.

What one feature do you like to see on Google Maps?

I’d like to see an accessibility sign assigned to every place on Google Maps that has been highlighted as wheelchair accessible.

What’s your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides Program?

What I do to find my passion through the Local Guides program is to define my motive. What is your reason for being part of the program? Though reasons may differ, you must clearly understand the motive behind your joining the Local Guides community, and then align it with the noble ideals of the program: love, selflessness, fairness, and equity. 

My motive is to help people, and the Local Guides program encourages that through our activities on Google Maps.

My ability to learn from experienced Local Guides is another way I find my passion through the program. It’s a community that thrives on love, where super guides are ready to assist you in becoming a better Local Guide. I am immensely grateful to @EmekaUlor, the One Accessibility initiator. I call him my mentor because he taught me so many things about the program and accessibility.

Caption: A photo of Local Guides during a meet-up. (Local Guide @Onukakalu)Caption: A photo of Local Guides during a meet-up. (Local Guide @Onukakalu)

Are there any posts on connect or meet-ups you’ve hosted that help demonstrate your contributions around accessibility to Local Guides, Google Maps and your community?

Yes, I have shared a few posts on Connect, including “Promoting Accessibility on Google Maps.”

Months ago, I embarked on a fact finding visit to the Spinal Cord Injuries Association of Nigeria (SCIAN). It is one of the homes to people with disabilities within my neighborhood that seems to be neglected. During my visit, they were happy to assist me with any information I needed,  highlighting the challenges they face as a community. This visit was the reason I became more interested in wheelchair accessibility.

I talk about my visits to this complex in the posts “All inclusive accessibility: SCIAN village complex in photos,” “Accessibility for all: A visit to SCIAN village complex,” and “The world in the eyes of the physically challenged.”

You can also check out my meet-up recaps, “[RECAP] Umuahia Accessibility Outreach” and “[RECAP] Umuahia Epic Meet-up.”

Is there anything else we should know about you?

As a success enthusiast, I own a blog on successful lifestyle called Conquest Blog. I talk when it’s necessary, and I do much of my talking through my writing. Connecting with people is an integral part of me.

Are you passionate about making Maps more inclusive? Tell us how you’re making a positive impact in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Lagos, Nigeria
22 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Onuka Kalu

@PoliMC  thanks for sharing amazing person @Onukakalu 

You are so inspiring to us as local guides , maps for everyone including accessibility .

Level 10

What a great work! Thanks a lot @PoliMC for the great post sharing with us.

Br

Omar

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Level 8

Thanks @PoliMC 

@Onukakalu You're really an inspiration person for me.  🤞👌❤    

Bangladeshi Local Guide
Connect Moderator

Hi @PoliMC, thank you very much for sharing with us this inspirational text about Onuka Kalu. Thanks to the Local Guides Program and Acessibities Champions like him, I've been learning a lot and being more conscious about this matter. Well done, @Onukakalu. Congratulations!

Level 9

@PoliMC 

Thank you for sharing this amazing post with us here on connect. 

I know @Onukakalu, he has been doing amazingly well in helping the disabled people everywhere, Including Umuahia and Lagos at large.

Keep it up Bro.

Keep on doing good jobs. 

I am happy you're now a champion in accessibility. 👍🏽

Level 9

wow congratulations @Onukakalu for being accessibility champion. Yes, it's a great choice to contribute with information what are really need to let them know who are waiting to get their rights through our contributions around the world. Thanks @PoliMC for sharing with us about the new Accessibility Champion's contributions with us in connect.

Best Regards

Kamal Hasnainee

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 6

Thanks @PoliMC ! 

We need some more amazing local guides like @Onukakalu ! 

Really he is doing a great job. Accessibility is still a challenge in India. Most of the places are not accessible and i guess around 90/100 places has not any proper sign which highlights the signs of entrances, exits for specially abled persons. 

Hoping this story will inspire me and other local guides from India too. 

Thanks for sharing.

Wander - Indulge - Eat
with Vinay Krishna
Level 8

Nice post. Our own @Onukakalu has been doing well. Great work Kalu

Level 10

Congratulations @Onukakalu for this awesome feat. Proud of what you have achieved in terms of promoting accessibility in Lagos and other cities in Nigeria. Impressive your commitment. Well done 👍. Thanks for sharing @PoliMC 

Isaac