Onukakalu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Accessibility for all: A visit to SCIAN village complex.

Amuwo Odofin may be known to be home to the finest brands and businesses that are the hallmark of the neighborhood. Many may know it as home to world class hotels and cozy residential estates that are dotted around the city. Furthermore many may as well know it as home to great industries that are lined up within the Amuwo Odofin industrial estate. However, not many know that Amuwo odofin is also home to the physically challenged. The SCIAN village complex is situated here in Amuwo Odofin Lagos state.

Caption:Photo of the SCIAN village complex accessible entranceCaption:Photo of the SCIAN village complex accessible entranceCaption: Photo of a wheelchair sign on the SCIAN fence.Caption: Photo of a wheelchair sign on the SCIAN fence.Caption: Photo of SCIAN signpost outside the complex.Caption: Photo of SCIAN signpost outside the complex.

The acronym SCIAN stands for the Spinal Cord Injuries Association of Nigeria. It was established in 1984 with branches nationwide under the umbrella of PWDs (people living with disabilities). The Lagos state chapter of SCIAN has a village complex where Spinal cord injuries patients can live together as a community as the name suggests. It is Located along Alakoso Avenue just before Maria street and near Agary Pharmaceutical company on the other side of the road. Recently, I Visited the SCIAN village complex in one of my fact finding outings on accessibility. And I am about to share my findings.

Caption: Photo showing a wheelchair accessible car parkCaption: Photo showing a wheelchair accessible car parkCaption: Photo showing SCIAN bus with wheelchair logo on itCaption: Photo showing SCIAN bus with wheelchair logo on itCaption: A scooter along the wheelchair accessible walkway with a wheelchair sign on it.Caption: A scooter along the wheelchair accessible walkway with a wheelchair sign on it.

The village complex is seated on a land mass spanning about three acres of land. It is a sort of a colony with many infrastructures in place to make life conducive for spinal cord patients. It boasts of several housing units, an administrative block with a conference room, a big events hall, a football pitch, parking lot, borehole, and children play set for the children etc

Caption: wheelchair ride along a wheelchair accessible walkway. #AccessibilityIsFreedom.Caption: wheelchair ride along a wheelchair accessible walkway. #AccessibilityIsFreedom.Caption: Photo of the roofed wheelchair accessible walkway inside SCIAN village complexCaption: Photo of the roofed wheelchair accessible walkway inside SCIAN village complexCaption: Photo of a man on wheelchair trying to wheel up the wheelchair ramp. The wheelchair ramp is very important for wheelchair accessibility. The wheelchair ramp must be of standard specification to help  them climb the ramp without any difficulty. Local Guides must put the physically challenged persons into consideration in their activities on Google maps.Caption: Photo of a man on wheelchair trying to wheel up the wheelchair ramp. The wheelchair ramp is very important for wheelchair accessibility. The wheelchair ramp must be of standard specification to help them climb the ramp without any difficulty. Local Guides must put the physically challenged persons into consideration in their activities on Google maps.

The Layout

The SCIAN village complex is a monumental town planning masterpiece. It was well planned, designed and developed with the accessibility of members in mind. For instance each building has a wheel chair ramp that allows the spinal cord patients to wheel themselves up and down the building with ease. And connecting each building with other buildings is a network of roofed walkways. These roofed walkways are wheelchair accessible. Then from the roofed wheelchair accessible walkways one can connect to the major road that runs through the village complex from the main gate. There is only one major road with several walkways connecting the road to the wheelchair ramp in front of every building. There is also another wheelchair accessible walkway connecting the parking lot to the major road.

Caption: Photo of a play set for children inside SCIAN complexCaption: Photo of a play set for children inside SCIAN complexCaption: Photo of children's playground inside SCIAN complexCaption: Photo of children's playground inside SCIAN complexCaption: SCIAN Children's parkCaption: SCIAN Children's park

The Observation

One important observation made during this visit is that the complex was designed and built to help spinal cord patients live their normal lives. In this complex they can move and do their normal businesses like any other person without any struggle or limitation. For instance the fellow that showed me round the complex is a spinal cord patient, yet he moved around the large complex on wheelchair with accelerated ease.

I also observed that they are normal and happy people like any other person. And that we can help them explore the world around them in a wheelchair accessible and conducive environment like the SCIAN village complex.

Caption: Inside SCIAN event hall with wheelchair ramps on both sides of the podiumCaption: Inside SCIAN event hall with wheelchair ramps on both sides of the podiumCaption: photo of the front view of SCIAN event hallCaption: photo of the front view of SCIAN event hallCaption: Photo of a wheelchair ramp at the entrance of tSCIAN event hallCaption: Photo of a wheelchair ramp at the entrance of tSCIAN event hall

The Challenge

One major challenge the SCIAN village is facing is that of discrimination and stigmatization. According to the chairman of the complex the spinal cord injuries patients are not only discriminated against, they are also stigmatized against. Most buildings out there are not wheel chair accessible as they don’t have wheelchair ramps. And in some cases the buildings that are wheelchair accessible have wheelchair ramps that are not up to the standard specifications. So, spinal cord patients find it difficult to wheel themselves up the ramp slope because of the steep inclination.

Moreover, on my own opinion the challenge this complex is also facing is that of rehabilitation. The entire complex needs a face-lift to save it from further deterioration. So I implore the appropriate authorities to expedite actions to renovate the entire complex.

The Recommendations

Based on the above observations and challenges I will like to make certain recommendations which I believe will enhance accessibility for all including the physically challenged. The first recommendation is to have a working legal framework that will promote the right of the physically challenged. Through the passage and strengthening of the disability bills we can discourage discrimination against them and on the other hand encourage accessibility for all.

Caption: Photo of man on wheelchair in front of event hall entranceCaption: Photo of man on wheelchair in front of event hall entranceCaption: Photo of a wheelchair ramp on the podiumCaption: Photo of a wheelchair ramp on the podiumCaption: Photo of a selfie taken with my guide on wheelchair.Caption: Photo of a selfie taken with my guide on wheelchair.

Like the fellow that showed me round the complex told me, there are now wheelchair accessible BRT buses in Lagos. This is a right step in the right direction towards accessibility for all and should be extended to other sectors like the building sector.

The second recommendation I want to make is that accessibility for all should be the keyword in construction of buildings and other infrastructures. Wheelchair ramps must be included in every contemporary building. So architects and builders should have due and adequate consultation with spinal cord patients to know the standard specifications for building wheelchair ramps. After all they say he that wears the shoe knows where it pinches.

Caption: Photo of two men, one of them on wheelchair in front of SCIAN administrative block in one of my visit to Spinal cord injuries association of Nigeria, Lagos. Promoting inclusiveness is the most interesting thing I have done as a local guide.Caption: Photo of two men, one of them on wheelchair in front of SCIAN administrative block in one of my visit to Spinal cord injuries association of Nigeria, Lagos. Promoting inclusiveness is the most interesting thing I have done as a local guide.

In the words of chairman of the SCIAN village complex, Olamilekan Arogundade, consultations should be made with SCIAN in building of wheelchair ramps so that the physically challenged can access them by themselves. This people should be given opportunity to contribute their own quota in solving accessibility problems as it concerns the physically challenged.

Finally, on the part of the Local guides all hands must be on deck to sensitize the people and promote accessibility for all. These people are part and parcel of our larger society and so must be given a sense of belonging. They are just victims of circumstances and as local guides we must carry out a sensitization of the people to stop any form of discrimination no matter the coloration.

We are Local Guides, let’s continue to guide.

#AccessibilityIsFreedom.

Lagos, Nigeria
14 comments
Level 10

Re: Accessibility for all: A visit to SCIAN village complex.

Thanks @Onukakalu for sharing such an informative and educative post with us. It's really inspiring. Keep up the good work you are doing.

Level 6

Good Job @Onukakalu  and thanks for making this place visible for us to know. The people that live here do they need any financial or material support?

Level 8

Thanks so much @Onukakalu  for sharing this useful information. I will love to visit there as well soon.  Good job

Level 8

thank you @HelloSamsonR for finding time to read and comment. We are committed to guide and help people whether physically challenged or not to access and explore the world around them. I want use this opportunity to appreciate your remarkable contributions to google Maps. I really enjoyed your world Map walk edit. 

Level 8

thanks @Nnamdi_Do  for your comment. Yes, they may have financial or material needs but I believe the most important thing is to give them a sense of belonging by promoting an all inclusive accessibility. Anyway they will appreciate our good will. So let's visit and be a blessing to them. 

Level 7

This is a nice and informative read. Thank you @Onukakalu . Quite inspiring too

Level 8

the pleasure is mine @Aishat. You will surely like the experience. You need to see their eagerness to help you with every bit of information you need. It's a community built on love. The fellow who showed me around was on wheelchair but volunteered to show me round the large community with accelerated ease. 

Level 8

Hi @Onukakalu , do I need approval from any official before I can get access to the place?

Level 8