Onukakalu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[RECAP] Umuahia Epic Meet-up

Caption: A photo collage of photos taken during the Umuahia Epic Meet up at the National War Museum UmuahiaCaption: A photo collage of photos taken during the Umuahia Epic Meet up at the National War Museum Umuahia

'I am @onukakalu a top Lagos local guide, and having a substantial local guides group in Umuahia as we have in Lagos has been my dream. That is the rationale behind Umuahia Epic Meet-up'.

The meet-up was scheduled to hold on the 4th of February, 2020, at the National War Museum Umuahia. In line with the requirements of hosting a meet-up, I was on ground at the venue an hour thirty minutes before the meet-up to put every thing in order. Shortly others began to come in. In all four people where in attendance.

The meet-up started at exactly 3:03pm WAT. We started by introducing ourselves and thereafter it was time for knowledge sharing on what the local guide program was all about as most of them were new local guides. My post on connect 'Becoming a successful Local guide', became very handy in letting them know what is required of them as local guides.

We also shared knowledge on map editing, adding new places, uploading photos and writing reviews. Then, it was time discuss on how we can bring umuahia to limelight and make it more visible on Google maps. I later introduced the local guides connect to them and urge them to register. We also proposed having a chat group where umuahia local guides can connect and share ideas.

After the discussions it was time for photos. It was such an ecstatic moment as we posed for individual and group photos. Then we moved round the museum taking photos of some of the military hardwares on display. We took so many photos of gunboats, fighter jets, torpedoes, armoured tanks, anti aircraft guns etc. Some of these wares were fabricated locally within a short period during the civil war.

caption: A collage of photos showcasing wheelchair accessibility around the National war museum Umuahia.caption: A collage of photos showcasing wheelchair accessibility around the National war museum Umuahia.

To cap the meet-up was a light refreshment of soft drinks and cookies, which we got from one of the local stores within the premises of the museum. It was also another exciting moment as we connected more with one another. And at this point I reminded them of another meet-up, Umuahia Accessibility Outreach coming up on the 6th of February, 2020 at the school of the blind umuahia.

In conclusion, the meet-up was epic in the sense that it brought local guides in umuahia together, which is a milestone for the local guides program. This will improve the Google maps by making umuahia more visible on the maps. It will in turn help more people who live in or visit Umuahia to make decisions on how best to explore the city the more. The umuahia Epic meet-up to a very large extent was successful. It is a dream come true. You can view the Umuahia Epic meet-up photo album here.

@EmekaUlor thanks for giving me the necessary supports.

#Letsguide
#Umuahia-localguides
#Googlemaps
#VisibleUmuahia.

Umuahia, Nigeria
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: [RECAP] Umuahia Epic Meet-up

Hi @Onukakalu,

Thanks for sharing your recap! It's awesome that you guys got together. Hope to see more of these events in the near future! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Great Meetup @Onukakalu. Happy to see you are growing the Umuahia LG community. Cheers

Isaac
Level 8

Accessible NWM Umuahia.

Caption: photo of the administrative block of the National war museum umuahiaCaption: photo of the administrative block of the National war museum umuahia

NWM stands for the National War Museum Umuahia. It was the venue for the Umuahia Epic Meet-up. The meet-up may have come and gone but one remarkable feature of the NWM is its accessible terrain. One side attraction of the meet-up was assessing the accessibility level of the museum. So while the meet-up was going on I took cognizance of the accessible nature of the entire museum.

nwm1.jpgNwm5.jpg

Is the National museum Umuahia accessible? Yes, it is absolutely accessible by wheelchair. Right from the entrance gate, to the walk ways, down to the car park, even the pathways around the museum are accessible. Although there are no accessible signs anywhere people on wheelchair can comfortably navigate round and explore all the fun the museum has to offer.

caption: A collage of photos showcasing wheelchair accessibility around the National war museum Umuahia.caption: A collage of photos showcasing wheelchair accessibility around the National war museum Umuahia.

#AccessibleNWM

#Umuahiawarmuseum

#Letsguide

Former Google Contributor

Re: Accessible NWM Umuahia.

Thank you for sharing more information about the museum @Onukakalu,

Please note that I merged this post with your recap of the meet-up since they are from the same meet-up.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Waooo! That's a great Recap @Onukakalu. That was a nice meet-up. Its Good to know that we have Local Guide group In Abia state. Well done and keep guiding!