IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Sri Lanka Accessibility Walk ♿ - February 2019

This is my monthly meet-up as part of creating more awareness on the importance of accessibility-related aspects to Google map. As usual, I went to the meet-up location little early and this time @ThanulakshanS  also came with me. So we went by car and while on the way to the meetup, Thanulakshan spotted a beautiful Ferrari going in front of us on the road 🙂 he was excited already looking at the car telling it’s his dream. Wish his dream comes true soon.

We went a bit early (30minutes before) and were exploring some places inside Liberty Plaza. We went inside the Kollupitiya Market and took some nice pictures.

Vegetables in side the Kollupitiya MarketVegetables in side the Kollupitiya Market
Then @ThamaraKandabada joined us, and after that @Kumaran_thanga  joined. We began the meetup and started walking along the roadside. Initially, we couldn't spot any accessibility related things, we were a bit disappointed, however, we didn't give up, we continued walking.

We Local guides :)We Local guides 🙂
I am always slow on walking because my video will always be on, also I used to capture pictures. Then suddenly I saw Thamara telling, “see there is a wheelchair accessible place”. Then we all ran near that and took pictures of that and continued walking.

Wheelchair accessible entranceWheelchair accessible entranceWheelchair accessible entranceWheelchair accessible entrance
After walking some distance, we shifted our path to the opposite direction and started walking along the other side and got some places with accessible entrances and uploaded those to Google map.

Wheelchair accessible entranceWheelchair accessible entrance
We all were a little tired walking and decided to wind up our meetup and went inside the KFC for dinner, and had a delicious chicken cheese kottu. While eating Kumaran captured few time-lapse videos from his GoPro and you can check that in the below video.

Dinner at KFCDinner at KFC

Finally, after a heavy dinner, we wrapped up our meet up and went home with lots of photos and memories.

This is my monthly meetup schedule which I'm hosting similar meetups every month. Whenever you have time, please join me to add accessibility related information, photos to Google map. Thank you

@KatyaL @FaridTDF  hope you will like this  🙂  we have uploaded many accessibility-related photos to google maps 🙂

Please follow this album to check our meetup photos

Colombo, Sri Lanka
10 comments
Level 8

Re: [RECAP] Sri Lanka Accessibility Walk ♿ - February 2019

It was an amazing meetup with you @IlankovanT . And that picture you took in the market is really nice.

Let's meet up in the next meet-up. 🙂

Connect Moderator

Hola @IlankovanT , siempre es un gusto para mi poder leer sobre sus Meet-Up, sus historias siempre son muy agradables, gracias por compartir.

Farid

Level 8

This was fun! Too bad I cannot make it to the meetup today. Will see you guys again at tomorrow's meetup 🙂

Level 8

thank you very much for you wish @IlankovanT  from yesterday the prices will increase it took more time to bought. with you always it's Special meetup for me. Really enjoyed the meetup 

Connect Moderator

awesome.

you are one big source of inspiration for all of us, @IlankovanT 

Level 9

Connect Moderator

Great Meet-up @IlankovanT , about an important subject. Accessibility is becoming everyday more important, awareness is increasing, but still a lot more to do. The role of the Local Guides in this is extremely important, in hilighting the aspect, positive or negative, of the accessibility.

Great photos as usual.

Thank you for sharing

Level 9

Thank you @ErmesT. I'm sure I will continue this every month 😊

Top of this I will run "Google Maps towards Rural" too 👍

Former Google Contributor

Hi @IlankovanT,

Your initiative is really positive and inspiring. Thanks for your efforts and contributions. I'm sure that you guys are helping a lot of people!

I hope that for future more Local Guides will be able to join you in the accessibility meet-ups! Good luck!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!