MukulR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

♿[RECAP]Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 4 (Dhaka River Port)

Dhaka River Port is known as Sadarghat locally. It is a very important place. This riverport plays an important role as the transit hub to the people of many districts of Bangladesh. Every day, thousands of people from/to Dhaka use this river port that makes it very busy. Various kinds of people use this port for travel and among them, disabled people are not less in number. As a result, the Accessibility features of this river port is very much necessary to disabled people. So, as declared earlier I conducted my meet-up there on accessibility today with the theme #AccessibleBangladesh. 

Gate No 11. This is situated beside the VIP Gate. You can easily find this. 

Local Guide @Bashirulislam joined me from the beginning and later @Mohammadalauddin joined us. In this meet-up, we checked the below points: 

1. Wheelchair Accessibility.
  2. Wheelchair Accessible parking and entrance.
  3. Wheelchair Accessible ramps (if any).
  4. Availability of wheelchair Accessible toilet/restroom there
  5. Other accessibility features are found there.
  6. The discussion session was going on while checking the accessibility features there. 

Gate No:8. I was surprised to see these double slopes for wheelchairs-users. 

Gate No:4. It has a complete big slope for a wheelchair user. 

Inside the full port complex, most of the entrances are wheelchair-friendly. We saw most of the officials rooms are also wheelchair-friendly. 

This is one of the passenger waiting rooms. Disabled people can easily enter this room. Inside the waiting rooms, chairs have a low height that may be suitable for the wheelchair-using passengers. 

We found two separate washrooms beside the general washrooms for males and females. Both the special washrooms are marked with a permanent Accessibility sticker. The above photo is for the disabled male passenger. Disabled people can use this washroom without any cost. On the other hand, normal passengers need to pay for using the washroom. 

This washroom can be used by disabled female passengers without any cost. 

We found most of the walkways to the pontoon wheelchair accessible. Wheelchair users can use them smoothly without facing any trouble. 

After entering the pontoon there are obstacles like this. This is a pontoon connector and wheelchair-user cannot use them. 

This photo is common to every launch. Passengers cannot enter the launch without the help of others and there are risks also. Photo: from my Barishal meet-up. 

We found a public toilet, separate for males and females, with no wheelchair accessibility. This one is outside the main port complex but the port owns this. 

We ate this simple puri and piyaju during this meet-up and we were happy to eat them. 

And two special features we found: 

I must add two special features of this river port. They are very much important and useful. The first one is the Breast Feeding Room. This room is clearly marked so that passengers with kids can find this room very easily. 

And the second one is the availability of wheelchairs. There is a wheelchair providing room inside the complex from where any passenger can take a wheelchair to use inside the port complex without any cost. The staffs who provide wheelchairs are also friendly and cordial. They can help you while using a wheelchair. They don't take tips. 

Overall, this was a nice meet-up. We tried our best to find out all the accessibility features of this busy and important river port of Dhaka. 

#AccessibleBangladesh

Related posts:

Accessible Bangladesh, Part:1 (East Kazipara)- Recap
Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 2 (Chandrima Udyan)- Recap
Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 3 (Barishal River Port Area)- Recap

Dhaka, Bangladesh
12 comments
Level 8

Re: ♿[RECAP]Accessible Bangladesh, Part: 4 (Dhaka River Port)

Thank you @MukulR  Bhai because this is my 1st Meet-up with accessibility. A great recap of the accessibility meetup at Dhaka River Port. Your pictures clearly explain the accessibility status of the Dhaka River Port. 

Bashir Ul Islam
Level 8

Yess! @MukulR dada is back with his continuous work on accessibility in Bangladesh. Kudos to you for your back to back meetup on one of the most used transport medium of Bangladesh. Your pictures clearly explain the accessibility status of Sadarghat. I am very much happy to know about accessibility status of Dhaka Ferry Ghat. Hopefully one day each launch will have slope with handrail instead of the slope made by wood, so that wheelchair and other people also can get the launch safely using the handrail.

And Piyaju and Puri 😋🤤. Aha!

Waiting for more from you.

#HappyGuiding

@KalyanPal 

Level 8

অসাধারণ ও গুরুত্বপূর্ণ বিষয় নিয়ে কাজকর্ম করে যাচ্ছেন @MukulR দাদা 👍

এই ছবিগুলি থেকে খুব সহজেই বোঝা যাচ্ছে যে, ওই জায়গাটি হুইলচেয়ার এক্সেসেবল কিনা ।

সর্বোপরি, মিট-আপ এ খাবার দেখে জিভে জল আসলো 😋

================================

Accessibility Champion- Kalyan Pal 

Level 9

Thank you so much for doing an excellent job on Accessibility in the largest river port in Bangladesh and through your activities will help a lot of disabled people for find more information they can easily decide how much suitable for them.

Dear @MukulR Thank you for sharing with us nice recap. 

Greetings from Barishal, Bangladesh.
Level 9

Great recap! It looks it was an amazing meet-up with other local guides, photos are perfect @MukulR vai

Nice to know that @Bashirulislam and @Mohammadalauddin vai also attended the Meet-up. 

Level 9

I know very well, how busy you are with your business @Bashirulislam Bhai. I am very much glad that you managed time for this meet-up and joined me. Though this is your first meet-up on Accessibility but not the last. I am expecting you in my upcoming meet-ups that will be held near your area. Thanks a lot for joining me and commenting here. Stay safe. 

Level 9

Thanks a lot for your inspiration as always @PritishB Dada. There are a lot of places in Dhaka uncovered for accessibility. I am just trying to bring them to the light. I also think and hope that one day all the launches will have a nice slope to enter for the disabled people. But I am not that much optimistic. Because after the opening of the Padma Bridge launches will lose their passengers a lot. So they may not think to spend more on that slope. On the other hand, they can make a slope to get disabled passengers. There is a 50/50 chance that depends on the mentality of the owner of the launch. 

Piyaju and Puri were delicious as you think. Before saying goodby to @Bashirulislam Bhai, we ate দই-চিড়া from a shop. That was also tasty and healthy.

@KalyanPal দাদা, আপনার সুন্দর মন্তব্যের জন্য অনেক অনেক ধন্যবাদ। পুরি-পিয়জু-কচি শশার কুচি মিলিয়ে খুব ভালো লেগেছিল খেতে। পড়ন্ত বিকালে এর চেয়ে ভালো খাবার নাই মনে হয়। বিদায় বেলা অবশ দই-চিড়া-কলা খেয়েছিলাম। সেটার খুব মজাদার ছিল। ভালো থাকবেন দাদা। 

Connect Moderator

Wonderful check of accessibility @MukulR 

All photos are excellent 👍

I would suggest changing the color of the tick mark to green ✔️ in the photos.

Level 9

Thanks a lot for your appreciation @KamalHossenR I hope you will also work for disabled people in the future. We have a lot of things to do for them. Stay safe. 

@AbdullahAM Bhai, your comments inspire me always. You are also doing great for disabled people. Together we can make a better world for them. Stay safe.