RajievR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Q: In a Volatile Security state, How to engage as a Local Guide ?

After the #EasterAttacks on 2019/04/21, the security level in Sri Lanka skyrocketed. People (along with security forces) were thinking Peace is finally prevailing in the island and, Boom, all changed.

So the People & Security Personel are in high alert these days. They react to anything of a suspicious nature.

So I am worried to take photographs or collect information on public places because if someone thinks I'm up for no good, I will be only adding reviews & details of Police stations & Remand Prisons.

So fellow guides, how do you GUIDE in such high-security situations? How do you save your neck and help others?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
13 comments
Level 9

Re: Q: In a Volatile Security state, How to engage as a Local Guide ?

Connect Moderator

Stay safe @RajievR 

Thank you so much for asking

Stay safe is my first suggestion. If your security think that taking photos can be suspect, don't take photos.

Talk to the local Business, if they want their photos to be added on Google Maps, do it together with them. In this way you will also educate the business. As always, remember that No means No.

Keep in touch with the Local Guide community, as you did by tagging them on your post

Level 9

Level 10

@RajievR Things will back to normal. It may take some time. What @ErmesT has mentioned is true. I am also doing the same thing. Do not take any risk. Your safety is most important. We had gone through bad periods before. Let's hope for the better.

Level 9

Hi @RajievR we still need you here, make sure you are safe. Thanks. 

Level 8

@RajievR , If we do a photo walk these days for sure we will be arrested and on breaking news in no time. 

I believe keeping a very low profile is very important. @@ less Photos and no meetups at crowded places until it is safe.

We survived worse than this for decades. The strength and the relsilience of Sri Lankans (specially in a tragedy)will take our country through this horrible situation.

@ @kasunaaa ,@SupunW and myself were bit scared that police might come find us after looking at CCTV. So for we are good. 

Cheers...!!!

Level 9

Thanks @ErmesT for your prompt reply.

What you suggest is a good way forward. but it is not applicable in some Situations.

Like @ravindus pointed out, doing a Geo Walk / Photo Walk is next to impossible now. Another issue is adding pics about public places. Most of the public places do NOT have a easily accessible authority to get permission from. Sometimes, when we visit a place, office hours are over, only low level staff is there.

Another issue with my local culture is when you ask "can I take a pic" the answer is "errr........ no" for no obvious reason; even before the atmosphere isn't this bad. Can't imagine getting a " yes , of course" now.

Level 9

@AnuradhaP  I started engaging in GLG around 2011-12. So I never knew Guiding in such tense security situations. I wonder when it'll get back to NORMAL?

If you can remember @IlankovanT , in our last accessibility walk in Colombo 03, I said, " All this (Local Guiding) wouldn't be possible if there was war prevailing". Seems like that fear came true 😞

Level 9

Hi @RajievR  hope you are doing good! yes, please do not take any risks on this. I have changed my last meetup also for the above reason and anyhow did it.
Now the situation is getting better and hope we can do those without and hazles in future.