Vera_chidera's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

People Eat Culture - Nigeria as case study

The food collage featured is only a fragment of Nigeria's wealth in varieties of food. 

Lagos a city home to almost all the tribes in this beautiful nation have all of these delicacies to welcome tourists and make their stay memorable. I like to eat across my nativity as I believe in unity through food. 

Food is an art and people eat culture. A lot of us are accustomed to some foods today because our parents handed us the recipe and was a household staple, while others were picked from the streets because friends from other parts introduced us to it. Check, everyone have a reason why they eat what they eat and there is always a history behind it. 

Featured in the picture in no particular order is a cow foot delicacy mainly known to the South-Eastern people of Nigeria called 'Nkwobi', it is always made spicy, soft and served in a local red oil sauce. Served in most local restaurants like SuyaBytes & Bar of 16 Karimu Kotun street Victoria Island Lagos. 

Another featured food is beans and boiled unripe plantain. Beans is a staple here and the 'Yorubas' ( Western settlements) do not home with this nutritious legume. It is an important item in their kitchen that it is used to make a soup called "gbegiri" used in eating the very popular place "Amala".

Then comes the oil bean sauce ('Ugba' sauce) , surrounded by roasted plantain. It is eating as a street side snack or proper meal and goes well with local drink called 'palmy'.... palm wine. The fermented frond sap of a palm tree, rich in natural yeast. 

Last and bit the least is Guineafowl suya ( 'ogazi'in local parlance), is an open air grilled bush fowl. Naturally sweet and has no fat. All lean meat. God for people watching their diet and needs a better substitute to chicken. Spicy as demanded and juicy. 

• Far left is guineafowl suya, second left is 'Nkwobi', far right is oil bean sauce + roasted plantain and second right is boiled jollof beans + unripe plantainFar left is guineafowl suya, second left is 'Nkwobi', far right is oil bean sauce + roasted plantain and second right is boiled jollof beans + unripe plantain

Me here, agreeing to the caption on the wall. Like it read my mind.... People indeed eat cultureMe here, agreeing to the caption on the wall. Like it read my mind.... People indeed eat culture

You should try these when visiting Nigeria or in Nigeria but wishes to treat your buds to some local meals. 

Lagos, Nigeria
11 comments
Level 10

Re: People Eat Culture - Nigeria as case study

@Vera_chidera Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. Looks delicious. Now I feel to go find some around my place. 

Connect Moderator

Hi, @Vera_chidera

They look tasty and so colorful! 

"Food is an art and people eat culture." 

This is a nice phrase! That is true:-)

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Vera_chidera,

Welcome to Connect!

Wow, this looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing this with the community. I'd love to try these and maybe a future trip to Nigeria is on the table!

With that said, please feel free to Introduce Yourself in our monthly topic and don't forget to leave your review on Google Maps.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Thank you @AlexaAC, the thought that the food appeals to you is much appreciated. Also note that I will warmly welcome you whenever you are in Lagos Nigeria, just holla😊.

About introduction, I have done so on October series. Kindly check. Thanks for your comment. 

Level 7

Thank you, the thought that the food appeals to you is much appreciated. Also note that I will warmly welcome you whenever you are in Lagos Nigeria, just holla😊.

About introduction, I have done so on October series. Kindly check. Thanks for your comment. 

Former Google Contributor

Excellent thank you,@Vera_chidera!

I'm not able to see your introduction for October on your profile page, but you're welcome to Introduce Yourself again. 

Looking forward to your next posts:)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Thanks for your feedback @StephenAbraham, means a lot to me. Go right ahead and hunt some deliciousness, I'm sure you will find something similar. 😊

Connect Moderator

Great post, @Vera_chidera! Your writing is very good and the food looks really delicious, it's nice to know about other culture's food.

Thank you for sharing this with us ☺️

Level 7

Thank you @Jesi . We definitely learn from each other across the globe.