Kwiksatik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

My favorite place isn't on Google Maps - it *is* Google Maps

Hi Loca Guides Family!

I've submitted my video for Connect Live 2020. I am hoping with all my heart that we all get healthy in time for us to come together and celebrate this amazing world we've documented on Google Maps. In the days leading up to creating and submitting my video, and in many moments since, I've worried about the impact coronavirus will have on my Local Guides family. My application video took on a mind of its own, departing from its original topic into what I've linked above and transcribed below.

Watching our activities - on Local Guides Connect and elsewhere, has touched my heart so deeply. No matter which stage of response any of our communities are in, the one constant across every country and culture is this: Local Guides are not letting this challenge dampen their spirits. Around the world we are checking in on each other, sharing details about their daily lives, and working hard to keep the spirits up of those around us. We are switching our IRL meetups to online hangouts. We are direct messaging each other more than ever before. We are staying up at odd hours of the night to talk to friends across the world, making sure they know how much we care, and showing it by taking time to connect. You guys are giving me hope and raising my spirits every day. Thank you so much for that.

**A transcript of my Connect Live 2020 Application**

Hi Guys!

My name is Megan and I am a level 10 Local Guide from Seattle, Washington.

The first case of coronavirus in the US was diagnosed just a few miles from where I live. As of today, my family has been home for more than two weeks, and we just found out we will be here at least four more. 

For now, my children can’t go to school, but with Google Maps, they can still explore the world. Learning about other cultures through the eyes of the Guides who love and live in each of these places is more honest and authentic than anything else I could provide. Google Maps is our window into everywhere and anywhere we want to be. 

Each day our world relies more and more on “places” which are digital, virtual - online. Today our greatest contribution is to stay inside, and that can feel restrictive, but Google Maps allows us to escape when we need a change of scenery, and Local Guides provides a worldwide community of support. Because of this, staying home doesn’t feel as isolating.

And so, for today, my favorite place isn’t on Google Maps - it is Google Maps. 

Thank you everybody. Stay safe. I hope to see you at Connect 2020, but even if I don’t, I’ll see you on Google Maps.

A photo of me in front of a Local Guides sign at Connect Live 2019.A photo of me in front of a Local Guides sign at Connect Live 2019.

64 comments
Googler

Re: My favorite place isn't on Google Maps - it *is* Google Maps

@Kwiksatik I couldn't agree more with you, Megan. I could go on and on about how your post — and video — struck me personally but instead: YES. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @TraciC . ♥️♥️♥️ I would go on and on, but words don't express.

Connect Moderator

@Kwiksatik 

Megan, you show us how to do it right, everytime. 👍

I loved your video and application transcript, I think this application post defines originality and walks us through the experience. 

Connect Moderator

I don't want to copy @TraciC , but before reading her reply, what I was starting to write was "I couldn't agree more" @Kwiksatik .

This is what I am trying to do in this month, creating tours on Google Earth, inviting the people to share places to explore (a post is on the way)

Thank you for this video, that is (well, I just do not want to be polite, now) standing over the crowd, a d touching me deeply.

Thank you for this post

Connect Moderator

Thank you @OmerAli . I hope you are safe and well my friend. 💛

Level 10

Hi @Kwiksatik It's really amazing story. Thanks for sharing 

Mohammed Omar Faruque
Connect Moderator

@ErmesT  Dotan has been on my daily playlist since I heard it in the background of your video on that abandoned road. Will you be posting your Google Earth tours here? I'd love to have my children see the world through your eyes on Cardboard. Hugs and stay safe. 💛

Connect Moderator

all good, contained and getting better over here @Kwiksatik .

wishes and prayers for America. I have stopped watching numbers and started believing now. I hope it will be over soon and with sane minds and souls we'll get back to our normal lives being more considerate and compassionate 

Connect Moderator