Atsukot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Meet Accessibility Champion, Alejandra

Caption: A photo of Local Guide @AlejandraMaría on a ferry crossing the mouth of the Guadiana River between Spain and Portugal with the Guadiana International Bridge that connects both countries visible behind her. The photo was taken by her kids during a meet-up. (Local Guide @AlejandraMaría)Caption: A photo of Local Guide @AlejandraMaría on a ferry crossing the mouth of the Guadiana River between Spain and Portugal with the Guadiana International Bridge that connects both countries visible behind her. The photo was taken by her kids during a meet-up. (Local Guide @AlejandraMaría)

Local Guide Alejandra is a psychologist from Ayamonte, Spain who is passionate about helping others. She’s a school counselor who works with kids who are deaf, have visual impairments, or use wheelchairs. She helps them find the accessibility resources they need at school.

“As a counselor, I can see that with minimal changes we can make a better world accessible to ALL of us,” Alejandra told us.

Being a Local Guide is one of the ways she tries to reach that goal. She often adds helpful accessibility information to her reviews, hosts accessibility meet-ups, and mentions wheelchair accessibility in videos she creates.

We recently interviewed Alejandra to learn more about her mission to make the world a more inclusive place. Below are her responses which have been lightly edited for clarity.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information to/for Google Maps?

Every time I share a new review, I take wheelchairs into consideration. For example, if there is accessible parking or a restroom at least one meter wide and without steps. I like to upload photos that shows these features, too.

Now, I have started to include information for people with visual impairments, too. For example, if an elevator has the numbers written in Braille too.

What area (mobility, vision, hearing, etc.) are you most interested in improving?

I am interested in improving all these areas (mobility, vision, hearing), because all human beings are important. They have the opportunity to learn if a place is suitable for them [through info on Google Maps] and make a decision about where to go.

With these kind of photos and reviews, we make society think about [accessibility] and start to take it into consideration too. If other Google Maps users see these kind of reviews and photos, perhaps will upload and review this way too.  That’s what happened to me and I’m continuously trying to improve.

What's your favorite Google Maps feature?

I really love the questions about accessibility because I can see that this is an important topic and reminds me to continue adding this information.

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

I will remark that accessibility is important to ALL of us because we ALL benefit from it. An  accessible place is a place easy to get into, with a comfortable restroom and wider elevator. It’s easy [to navigate] with wheelchairs, kids, and older people. I would like to encourage all Local Guides to write reviews and upload photos that show these aspects because one day all of us will need it.

What one feature would you like to see on Google Maps?

Now, we can see questions to answer about mobility, [but] it would be great to have others about vision and hearing, too. In Spain, in some places, we can see [lists] about meals [and] ambience [on the Explore tab]. I would add another one about accessibility.

Are you passionate about accessibility? In the comments below, tell us how you do your part to make the world more accessible for all.

54 comments
Level 8

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Alejandra

あつこさん@Atsukot、はじめまして。

グーグルマップに投稿する写真は観光地やグルメの写真やクチコミばかりではなく、車椅子に乗っている方をはじめ体の不自由な方に対する情報も必要ですよね。行き先の駐車場や入口、座席等がそういった方々に対応しているのかどうか写真やクチコミを見て分かるような投稿をするよう努めます☺

Level 10

Level 9

Wow ! Nice interview @Atsukot and Glad to know more about @AlejandraMaria I have another dream that I want to share with you guys very shortly. I am doing last 5 years beside my study and job “Improve Rural Area science education & career awareness of high school students in rural area of Bangladesh . Also I am doing a research about Rural Area kids career related topics. My project name is “Let’s Go Village” Hope will share more another day. Good luck AlejandraMaria. 

Level 8

Thank you very much to bring us the chance to meet @AlejandraMaria, @Atsukot.

It is always amazing LGs like Alejandra can achieve so much in helping the community, and have such a great impact.

For me, from Maps, I wanted to:

1.  To filter wheelchair accessible restaurants

2.  To filter walking directions that is wheelchair accessible only.

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Atsukot for this post, for highlighting a Local Guides that I know personally. I have a huge respect for @AlejandraMaria.

The interview is great, and reflect perfectly the personality of Alejandra.

Well done my friend, Congratulations

See you very soon

Ermes

Level 9

Bls: Meet Accessibility Champion, Alejandra

Terima kasih @Atsukot@ErmesT anda telah memuat hasil wawancara dan informasi dari @Alejandra atas perjuangannya tentang accessbility. Saya sudah pernah diskusi dengan google moderator bahwa saya ada rencana buat pertemuan dengan pelaku business di negara saya untuk menyiapkan fasilitas untuk para kaum cacat dan pengguna kursi roda di tempat usaha mereka. Semua manusia punya hak yang sama untuk menikmati hidup di mana saja mereka berada. Saya sangat senang isu tentang accessbility ini diglobalkan, karena di negara saya Indonesia termasuk salah satu negara yang para pelaku business tidak memperhatikan accsessbility. Terimal kasih. Salam 

Lera76
Level 9

Hello @Atsukot

Thank you for your nice post about Accessibility champion and also many thank you @AlejandraMaria for her work on Accessibility champion.

Level 9

Many many Thanks @Atsukot , @AriMar and the Local Guides Team for taking in consideration my contributions about Accessibility.

Thank you very much for this incredible feedback.  It gives me an extra energy for increasing my implication on Google Maps and on Connect about this very important topic.

Good Afternoon from the South of Spain,

Alejandra.

Connect Moderator

So happy to see a dear friend @AlejandraMaria featured for such an important aspect. Bravo! ❤️👏

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall