PavelSarwar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Masjid Kampung Kling: One of the traditional mosque, which still retains its original design.

The Kampung Kling Mosque is one of the traditional Mosque in Melaka, Malaysia, which still retains its original design. I and @SumaiyaZafrin  visited this mosque during our short trip in Melaka.

Caption: Local Guide Pavel Sarwar in front of the main entrance of the Mosque. Photo: Sumaiya Zafrin

We were at the courtyard of the Kampung Kling Mosque in Malacca. We stood on a slightly raised walkway beside a loaded pool, the center of which harbored a richly-designed functional fountain. The courtyard hosts a pool with a fountain at its center, used for ablutions. Another set of columns surrounds the pool and forms a covered walkway around it.

Caption: A pool with a fountain at its center.

The mosque is situated in Jalan Tukang Emas, also known as Harmony street because of its also proximity to the Sri Payyatha Viyanagar Moorthi Temple and Cheng Hoon Teng Temple. The original structure built in 1748 was a wooden building and in 1872, it was rebuilt in brick. The architectural design of the mosque is a cross between Sumatran, chinse and Melaka Malay.

Centuries ago, the area was called Kampung Kling. Kampung means “village” in the local Malay language. Kling, on the other hand, is what they used to call Muslim Indians. This mosque became the main place of praying for the Indian Muslim population of the area during the time.

Caption: Pillar of the Mosque

Caption: Women praying hall

Caption: Main praying Hall

Caption: In 1868, around 120 years after its construction, a high wall was built to protect both the mosque and minaret from the street. The wall opens through an arched-topped, tile-roofed gate, ornamented with three acroteria.

Caption: Top design of the Mosque

The influences in architecture and design of the place reflect how Malaysia has embraced the many cultures that nurtured its history and traditions, and ultimately makes it the nation that it is now.

This is a must-visit Mosque during your visit to Melaka. It was very close to our hotel. We go to this mosque by walking along the riverside road and we prayed there.

Google Maps Location: https://goo.gl/maps/r7mtucx3BJ3qpHLh6

Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bAkW3iGii8C18Qhy6

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
6 comments
Level 10

Re: Masjid Kampung Kling: One of the traditional mosque, which still retains its original design.

@PavelSarwar Good posts about one of the important mosque in Melaka.
That street is probably one of the few streets in Malaysia that a mosque, a Chinese temple and a Hindu temple is located almost next to each other. Signs of peace and tolerance in multi-ethnic Malaysia.

Level 8

Re: Masjid Kampung Kling: One of the traditional mosque, which still retains its original design.

@StephenAbraham True, This is one of symbols of peaceful Malaysia.

Connect Moderator

@PavelSarwar What a wonderful mosque and I appreciate your Guiding with great photos and writeups. 

Keep sharing bhai!

Happy Guiding!

Connect Moderator

One of the historical mosque and very beautiful indeed. I love this mosque so much. You really wrote very tremendous. 

Pictures are also very alive and beautiful.Thank you so much for sharing @PavelSarwar ❤️❤️

Level 8

@SumaiyaZafrin Thank you for supporting me. We will explore more places.

@ShafiulB I have tried my best bro. More mosque-related post is coming. 

Level 7

Wow! Amazing designed mosque! Thanks for sharing such a nice traditional mosque posts. Waiting for your next post about mosque.