Nidhish_Jaju's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

A Journey to Ratangad: The Jewel of the Sahyadri.

The fort is named after Ratnabai Tandal, who has a small temple inside the cave on the fort.She was one of the three sisters : Ratnabai, Kalsubai and Katrabai.

A few months ago, my trekking buddy and I decided to invest in a Decathlon 2-person tent. We were tired of renting equipment and wanted something reliable for our mountain adventures. After a long wait due to work and other commitments, we finally found time to visit Ratangad in late September 2023. This was the perfect season for the trip, as the post-monsoon period is known for the vibrant blooms of flowers on the mountain, lending Ratangad its charming beauty.

Initially, the trip was planned for just the two of us. However, another friend expressed interest in joining, so there were three of us ready to embark on the journey. We set off from Aurangabad on September 30, leaving at 11 am—later than expected, but still with excitement in our hearts. The drive was around 240 km to the base village, Ratanwadi, and we took a few breaks along the way. We reached the base village at 4:40 pm and immediately started preparing for the trek, gathering essentials such as dinner supplies, water bottles, first aid kit, tents and foam sheets.

The local villagers advised us against starting the trek so late, but one of our friends had been to Ratangad before and we felt confident about the path. I also had trail apps on my phones to guide us. After double-checking our gear, we began the 5 km trek at 5:15 pm.

The journey started off smoothly, but the rainy weather soon made the trail slippery. At one point, I lost my footing and landed on the tent I was carrying. Fortunately, I was unharmed, and we continued our journey, laughing off the mishap. The humidity was intense, so we took frequent breaks along the way. 

As the evening progressed, we needed to use our torches to navigate the dark trail. We encountered a few people descending the mountain but found ourselves the only ones ascending. We reached the top around 7:30 pm, where the darkness and humidity made it difficult to explore. We quickly found a spot to pitch our tents and cook dinner.

Setting up our new Decathlon tent turned out to be a disappointment as we discovered that the tent poles were broken—likely a result of my earlier fall. With no way to pitch the tent, we had to rely on our rented 2-person tent, which was a tight fit for the three of us. Nevertheless, we made the best of the situation and cooked a quick dinner of Maggi noodles on our portable stove. We also brought parathas for a more filling meal.

After dinner, we settled in for the night, though the cramped conditions made sleeping difficult. I set my alarm for 5 am to catch the sunrise, and we woke up on time, brushed our teeth, and had breakfast (peanut butter and Knorr instant soup).

We made our way to the sunrise point and were rewarded with breathtaking views of clouds below us and a stunning sunrise. Afterward, we explored the entire fort, stopping at various points to capture amazing photos.

By 8:30 am, we began our descent, reaching the base village by 10 am. The sun was bright, making the descent more challenging due to the heat and humidity. Once we reached the village, we freshened up and visited the historic Shree Amruteshwar Temple, which is over 1200 years old and was built by the rulers of the Shilahara dynasty.

After seeking blessings at the temple, we enjoyed a delicious lunch at a local hotel and then started our return journey home. The trip to Ratangad was an unforgettable experience, filled with beautiful sights and shared moments of laughter.

Recommendations for Visiting Ratangad

🅿️Parking: Utilize the pay parking area at the base village of Ratanwadi for a secure place to leave your vehicle.

🍱Food: While trekking, food options are limited, especially at the summit. There is one place at the top that offers food, but it’s wise to confirm availability with locals at the base village. Alternatively, you can carry your own food or a portable stove to cook meals.

Tents: Carry your own tent if you plan to camp overnight. If you don’t have one, inquire about renting a tent from locals at the base village, though availability may vary.

🔦Essential Items: Remember to carry torches or headlamps for visibility during the trek, especially if you start late or plan to trek after sunset. A power bank for charging your devices and any necessary medication should also be packed. Keep your backpack light, as the round-trip trek is approximately 10 km.

🚾Washrooms: There are a few washrooms available at the base village; ask locals for directions. However, there are no facilities at the top of Ratangad.

👟Footwear: Invest in a good pair of trekking shoes to ensure stable footing on the trails and minimize the risk of slipping, especially in wet conditions.

Best Time to Visit : The post-monsoon season (September and October) is the ideal time to visit Ratangad. You can enjoy stunning views of clouds below you and witness a variety of flowers in bloom, making the experience truly magical. This is why Ratangad is known as the Jewel of the Sahyadris.

It's not wheelchair accessible.

Ratangad FortRatangad FortRatangad FortRatangad FortRatangad FortRatangad Fort

Sandhan valley view, Ratangad FortSandhan valley view, Ratangad Fort

Tryambak Darwaza, Ratangad FortTryambak Darwaza, Ratangad Fort

@Tushar_Suradkar 

@TravellerG 

@Raj_Tayade 

@ajitthite 

@Praniketmore 

@om_mothe 

@AjinkyaDeshpande 

Nidhish Jaju ||" Exploring the world, one trail at a time "||

My Map||My Insta||My Post Gallery

Ratanwadi, Maharashtra, India
27 comments
Level 8

Re: A Journey to Ratangad: The Jewel of the Sahyadri.

What a breath taking views...! Amazing clicks @Nidhish_Jaju . The nature is just amazing. All the photos are great. Nicely presented post with details. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 8

@Nidhish_Jaju 

NATURAL BEAUTY OF FORT NIDHISH ITS SHOW HIS DENGERES VIEW .

NICE INFORMATION OF FORT

Level 8

Great post @Nidhish_Jaju and amazing pictures 🖼️ Allmost covered  every details keep it up...

Raj_Tayade ||" Relationships are formed when you travel with your heart "||

Level 9

Wow... brilliant content and excuisite photos, @Nidhish_Jaju. very impressive indeed!

Cheers!

Level 8

@Nidhish_Jaju  Amazing pictures and the post. 

Harsha Rai
https://instagram.com/roving__r?igshid=7o2e6r57kw6l
Level 9

Betreff: A Journey to Ratangad: The Jewel of the Sahyadri.

@Nidhish_Jaju 

Da hat sich der schwierige Aufstieg aber gelohnt.

So eine fantastische Landschaft und Aussicht mit schönen Bergblumen 

Connect Moderator

Nice prelude and narration with bits of history about the Ratangad trek @Nidhish_Jaju 

The photos are undoubtedly breathtakingly beautiful.

The tips about parking, tents, footwear, and planning are super helpful 👍

I suggest interweaving photos and narration for better grasp and consumption.

Level 6

Thank you @Rohan10  Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Level 6

Thank you @mohanghyar  Glad you like it.