lynneannec's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Living Hurricane Ida: Part Two: Evacuation

A photo of Local Guide lynneannec’s husband going through their destroyed belongings in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida.A photo of Local Guide lynneannec’s husband going through their destroyed belongings in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida.A photo of  what was left of Local Guide lynneannec’s belongings put into storage during her 31 day evacuation.A photo of what was left of Local Guide lynneannec’s belongings put into storage during her 31 day evacuation.A screenshot of the email that the Google Local Guides program sent Local Guide lynneannec of the cities she had visited during September.A screenshot of the email that the Google Local Guides program sent Local Guide lynneannec of the cities she had visited during September.A photo of one of the several hotels that  Local Guide lynneannec and her family lived in during their evacuation due to Hurricane Ida.A photo of one of the several hotels that Local Guide lynneannec and her family lived in during their evacuation due to Hurricane Ida.A photo demonstrating the evacuation life of Local Guide lynneannec.A photo demonstrating the evacuation life of Local Guide lynneannec.A photo demonstrating the evacuation life of Local Guide lynneannec.A photo demonstrating the evacuation life of Local Guide lynneannec.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of Dunn Falls that Local Guide lynneannec and her family stopped at on their evacuation route.A photo of evacuation life - a cat and her mom.A photo of evacuation life - a cat and her mom.A photo of living from hotel to hotel for 31 days of evacuation from Hurricane Ida.A photo of living from hotel to hotel for 31 days of evacuation from Hurricane Ida.A photo of art in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, the first hotel that Local Guide lynneannec was able to find to evacuate to.A photo of art in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, the first hotel that Local Guide lynneannec was able to find to evacuate to.A photo of Oklahoma taken through the window of Local Guide lynneannec’s car.A photo of Oklahoma taken through the window of Local Guide lynneannec’s car.A photo of when Local Guide lynneannec and her family reached Arkansas.A photo of when Local Guide lynneannec and her family reached Arkansas.A photo of being on the road for evacuation.A photo of being on the road for evacuation.A photo of Rogers, Arkansas.A photo of Rogers, Arkansas.A photo of a cat named Azalea evacuating from Hurricane Ida.A photo of a cat named Azalea evacuating from Hurricane Ida.A photo of making the best of a bad situation!A photo of making the best of a bad situation!A photo of Bentonville, Arkansas’s huge Native American arrow art.A photo of Bentonville, Arkansas’s huge Native American arrow art.A photo of hotel life.A photo of hotel life. This post is the second in a third part series “Living Hurricane Ida”. Please read Living Hurricane Ida: Part One: Devastation . I am writing my personal experience with living through the onslaught of Hurricane Ida, my 31 days of evacuation, and where I am now, to demonstrate first hand the effect natural disasters have on people. And it can end positively, if you have the right attitude!

After my husband rowed my daughter, myself, our dog, two cats and 5 tubs of belongings in multiple trips through deep flood waters with alligators and snakes to our car (yes this a true story), we were all pretty disgusting but had no choice but to go, it was literally life or death. Luckily a nice man stopped and helped shuttle our belongings to the car with his truck, because we were exhausted. We had to put the most tubs on top of the car in a zip carrier because our car is so small, but we felt blessed to have the car. We had only just bought it 4 months ago. Prior to that we had a 16 year old car with no air conditioning, no horn, that you had to replace a fuze in every time you wanted it to start. We would have been unable to go.

More than a million people in Louisiana lost power because of Hurricane Ida. More power poles went down in Louisiana from Hurricane Ida than in Hurricanes Katrina, Zeta, and Rita combined. And the power stayed out for over a month. (ARTICLE ON POWER OUTAGE AND DEVASTATION ) Because of this and the loss of homes, so many people evacuated, and their was a shortage of shelters and hotel rooms. I called everywhere in Louisiana. Then Mississippi, then Alabama… and found a hotel in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 279 miles away. So exhausted, dirty, hot we drove and began our 31 days of evacuation.

At that time we had no idea this was going to happen!

After a week of living in the hotel, which cost almost my entire Social Security check for a month, they had no more vacancy. Now even more people had evacuated so I called again looking for a hotel: Alabama: no, Mississippi: no, Louisiana: no,…. Texas? … Beaumont Texas - 534 miles away…7 hours and 34 minutes away!!

So we loaded it all BACK in the car and drove. 

Now this is the problem. I don’t actually drive. But my husband was falling asleep at the wheel. I have a driver’s license. But I haven’t driven in 5 years. I have a scarred retina that causes spacial perception difficulty. Which translates into me backing our one car into our other car in the past. Me backing the work van into a dumpster. Me rear ending a pickup truck at a red light and his hitch totaling my car. Me driving my car into a ditch - 5 times. Me backing into parking meters. The list is long, but I have totaled almost every car we have ever owned, and the others that I didn’t total, I wrecked severely. Also my retina problem causes night blindness.

So my husband drives. But now he can’t stay awake. SO GUESS WHO’S DRIVING??

The other sad thing is my 12 year old sweet cat was already very ill. He got much worse evacuating. He did not live to see our new home.

On the way from Tuscaloosa to Beaumont we stopped at Dunn Falls in Enterprise, Mississippi. We could only stay for 15 minutes, because we had to leave our car running, locked with the air conditioner on for our 3 pets. But it had beautiful waterfalls and my husband pushed my daughter on the swing. We had a great time. We always have great times together.

Next we were passing close to our home so we stopped to see if the water was down enough to salvage anything. We were able to get in, but there was no power, it was over a hundred degrees in there. We boxed up what we could and put it into a storage unit. My husband worked so hard and got so exhausted, he fell out of the truck the storage company lent us. He couldn’t stand up any more.

So I was back driving to Beaumont! I actually never wrecked anything! I taking this as a one off, and I am going back to not driving. Next Beaumont didn’t last, so it was on to Shreveport, Louisiana. Yes, 199 miles away, 3 hours, 17 minutes. And then… that’s right, we had to move again… and the only hotel is in … Louisiana: no, Mississippi: no, Alabama: no, Texas: no…Arkansas - NORTHWEST Arkansas. Rogers, Arkansas 515 miles away, 8 hours and 31 minutes. 

Now to you world travelers this may seem like nothing. But I lived in a town that was 2 miles across by 7 mile long. And I haven’t been on a trip out of that town in 15 years. And I am in a CHEVY SPARK, 3 adults and 3 animals and everything they could row. But we were very lucky to be alive! We didn’t need those material things we lost. We lived in that car and in hotels for a month without a home and possessions. And you know what, we were sad, we were scared, we were tired, we were dirty, but we also laughed, saw new places, grew even closer, and I slept with my daughter and her cat! And we survived my driving!

On the way to Arkansas we actually had to go through Oklahoma. My father is from there. Although he passed away a long time ago, I have family there, so that was cool just knowing I was in that state. Finally we arrived in our last evacuation city! We actually fell in love with it! 

Spoiler for Part 3 we move there and never go back to Louisiana!

@TravellerG @CAAG1959 @Kwiksatik @KashifMisidia 

Bentonville, AR, USA
9 comments
Level 10

Re: Living Hurricane Ida: Part Two: Evacuation

Unimaginable story of struggle...

My dear fellow LG @lynneannec 

Felt very sorry for what has happened...

Nature is some times very, very cruel - innocent living beings get shocked by such events.

One month of homeless & painful days, that too even with the pets - we can't even imagine this... Really adventurous!!!

Appreciate the determination and dedication of all of you.

Eagerly awaiting your part 3 ... good suspence...

PS:

Our love filled greetings to other members of your family, please...

🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

@lynneannec your perseverance is incredible. I am sorry for the loss of your cat. That must have made the journey even harder than it would have been otherwise

Level 9

Level 10

Hola @lynneannec que odisea tan desagradable y stresante, menos mal que la unión familiar les permitió sobrellevarla. Pienso también en tantos seres anónimos, que como ustedes o tal vez en peores condiciones, están pasándola mal, sin recursos, ni familia. Lo bueno de todo lo malo, es empoderamiento de la institución familia y ustedes son ejemplo de ello.

Saludos desde Uruguay

🇺🇾🇺🇾🇺🇾

Carlos Alonso Giménez
Level 9

Level 9

Thank you @CAAG1959 . Many people had it much worse than us, and some people were completely alone. Even now, my husband’s sister is still there and the town has not recovered. Trees are still down everywhere, and they are trying to clean up.

Level 10

"...Losing my cat, Clover who was my sweet boy of 12 years was definitely the hardest...."

As I mentioned earlier, I can understand your feelings.

Reading happy ending relieve a lot of tention.

Greetings, dear @lynneannec 

🤝👍🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Really the struggle is unimaginable @lynneannec  I couldn't digest the evacuation process. My tears rolled on.

In fact I should learn a lot from you. I loved the smile making the best of a bad situation.  Hat's off to you brave lady. 

Passionate about
#Temple Art & Architecture
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.