MarioO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: How to Exit Local Guides Program and Delete ALL my Contributions

There is a simpler way, @MarioO

Uninstall your apps and close your Google Account. 

Just a few seconds, and you can erase all your maps, photos, drive and Gmail contents. 

Your approved edits will remain in place. 

Only remember to save your important files or email on your desktop 

Good luck

Ermes 

Level 7

That does not delete the contributions at all, in fact they stay in place and they will no longer be accessible by the owner to delete them
That's pretty poor advice really

Level 6

Hello Ernest,

How does deleting my google account and apps help me remove all my contributions?

Connect Moderator

Hi @TerryB

You are right, you have to delete the "Google Maps" folder first

BTW, my first reply to @MarioO

was on April 28, 9 months ago. If after 9 months he still here, and he still being a L6, I believe that behind his post there is something different. In the worst case he had 499 photos to remove, that means less than 3 photos per day to delete.

I have already explained that Google Maps, with the correct settings in Google photos, is not impacting storage in any way. 

Stay or go is a personal choice, that I respect. I enjoy all the products that Google provides to us at no cost, I am happy for having an always updated navigation system, an unlimited storage of photos and videos in high quality, and I am contributing in exchange. I see the huge potential of the system in helping others, I have a personal project for a virtual museum in the areas of the Italian earthquake, I found this very helpful and so I stay. This is my choice, not necessarily your. 

Freedom means that you can take your decisions, not forcing others to follow you. 

What I hope is a different story, I hope you can read my contribution about people that have no home, people who is facing problems a bit bigger than perks, I hope that you can come and say "hi man, how can I help you?" 

But of course, we do not live with hope, we live with actions. 

What you decide to do, is your own choice. 

I wish you good luck and the best in your life 

Ermes 

Connect Moderator

Hola @MarioO, en general es como varios de aquí lo indicaron, te paso las pantallas donde acceder para que elimines todas tus contribuciones. 🍀

3) seleccionas configuración3) seleccionas configuración

4) seleccionar eliminar , ojo no se recupera4) seleccionar eliminar , ojo no se recupera

2) menú2) menú

1) accedes a tu perfil personal de Local Guides1) accedes a tu perfil personal de Local Guides

Saludos Farid

Level 6

Hi Ermest,

Thanks for your reply, and I am glad to hear that you get good perceived value out of your use of Google products. It is helping you with your project and that is great.

Respectfully, however, I do just need to add:

• Data is a very real valuable commodity. Just by using anything Google you are contributing data, which has a cash value. In fact, you don't even need to be using Google. Sending a message to a non-using friend via gmail, for example, provides data on that person as well. Simply put, as a Google user I am making money for Google every time I do anything. My clicks = $ for Google. Their services are not free.
  • Sergey Brin and Larry Page alone have a combined net value estimated at $80 B. That is just two people. We could go on to find out how much money other Google executives, employees, contractors and investors make, how much money is being generated total, etc. But in any case, it is a LOT of money.
  • Half the world population lives on just $2.50 a day (or something like that). The gap between rich and poor is only widening, with the rich continuing to get richer. If Big Tech was really committed to solving this particular problem, then so much money simply wouldn't be sitting in the hands of so few (not talking only of the "1%" here, but just take a look at the top 10% for a better picture).

A lot of people are doing great work trying to help those facing homelessness and poverty and other big problems, like you mention. Google is certainly enabling a lot of that work. But let's just not go as far as saying that their services are "free" (in terms of cost, as well as proprietorship). Nor that Google is 100% altruistic. $80 B could help a LOT of people. Just sayin'

Level 7

Cool

All my reviews deleted and numerous hundreds of map photos deleted, managed to get down from over 10,000 points to about 7,000

A few dozen each day on average should see me down to zero in very little time

Connect Moderator

Hi @kmarohn

sorry for reaching you so late, I wasn't aware of your reply. If in the future you want to mention someone please use @, so the mentioned person will be notified.

I am not expecting anyone to be altruistic, business is business in every part of the world. If a company is not having a profit, the company will close. I was aware that I was subscribing for a volunteer program, like I think you were.

Please forgive me for my English, that is not my language, so may be I am using the wrong words. If what I use is at No Cost for the user, I think that the right world to define it is "Free". I can use my Gmail and my 15 GB in Drive even if I am not contributing in Maps. Of course we are giving information to a lot of people every time that we open a browser, every time that we click on a link, every time that we do a search in Google, Yahoo, or every other search engine. We give information every time that we post or watch a video in Youtube. If you are on ios, you are giving information to the producer of the phone every time you use it. Do you ask to be paid from everyone of them? From every social that you use?

I am not. My simple analysis is about cost and benefits: what do I pay and what I receive back. So I keep Maps updated, so you can find the information that you need in my area, fresh and updated, like I hope I can find the same in your area.

I am moderating this community as a volunteer. What do I receive back from this? I am not paid, I dont have more perks than you have.

Well, this maybe sounds strange in this thread, but I receive friendship and knoledge. I discover and interact with people from all planet, I learn about different cultures and traditions, like you can do in here.

Sharing is the word that I use for this, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sorry if someone want to leave, but this is a personal choice of everyone, I dont have and I dont want to have power in this.

It sounds simply strange to me, that someone is proud and have fun in deleting his contributions.

Thanks for reading.

Ermes

Level 7

Deleting the Google Maps folder only deletes it on your phone, it does not affect the photos on Google Maps
As far as I can tell the only way to remove photos from Google Maps is to do it one at a time, a deliberate ploy by Google I suspect

Level 6

Hi TerryB, 

Sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure it's deliberate. Also downright dirty.

I don't have that many photos up, and the few that I posted were actually taken with the shopkeepers who are people I actually know. They were so happy to see the pictures that I'm just leaving them.

But I've stopped adding any more, and am now limiting my contributions in general (like this post here!).

"Sharing" was fun in the beginning, but once you stop drinking the Kool-aid and get informed it's easier to see it for what it is. Your comment earlier on profiteering from popular sentiment was right on the nose.

Well, enjoy your deleting, and good on you! Cheers.