BishowvijayaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

How a local guide celebrated the national festival Dashain

Recently we, the Nepalese people, celebrated the greatest festival of the nation called Dashain. This is the festival in which the elder members of the society put on Tika on the forehead of Youngers and give them blessing. The younger ones show their respect and greet to the elders. All the citizens who are out of their birthplace return to their home to celebrate the festival. Dashain longs for 15 days starting from new moon day up to full moon day. Putting on Tika is done in 10th day of Dashain and in some parts of the country it is extended up to 15 days. In my birth place it is done in 10th day only. There is a long history of Dashain and each days have their specific values. I don't want to go through that as I am here to explain my Dashain celebration being a local guide.

With my dad, mum ans sister in the 10th day of DashainWith my dad, mum ans sister in the 10th day of Dashain

Generally we use to visit the places sometimes by chance, sometimes by will and sometimes by need but being a local guide we have one thing common which is mapping. Like other citizens, on the 8th day, I also went to my birthplace to celebrate Dashain with my parents. Generally my mum starts the counting of days of my arrival from one month ago. So it's certain that the moment was blissful.

my birthplacemy birthplace

In Dashain we use to pray the feminine power; the goddess Durga. In my birthplace Chhatradev Village Municipality there are a lot of goddess Durga temple in apex of almost every hills. This time I focused on mapping the temples with the help of my dad. He helped me to reach in different temples with his motorbike. Beside that I travelled in almost all parts of village municipality. Adding local businesses is of course a regular work.

Mapping local hotelMapping local hotel

So what's the difference of visiting the places as a regular person and a local guide? Reviewing the places is not an easy task, especially the historic places. I consulted with the elders to know the history of the places. A concept triggered on my mind that the place can be developed as the tourist destination by forming a trekking trail utilizing the existing houses as homestays.

It's joyful to roam around in the hills but there are certain pitfalls. Cellular internet is available but it's hard to upload large files and it's a bit costly. Sometimes map shows the error 'Adding missing places isn't available in this reason'. Using the hard effort to reach the destination the places are added but algorithm rejects the places as not applied.

Mapping village municipality officeMapping village municipality office

I have an experience that places with contact numbers and websites have higher chances to be added but such information lack in village areas. I am still struggling to add the places. The best thing is I am not tired, I haven't gave up. I am the one to map the place of my known. Meanwhile I missed to watch the live cast of connect live and the live of WW friendship forever meetups.

Thank you so much all the fellows for your courageous support so far.

Mapping culture in templesMapping culture in temples

I am also thankful to my parents & sisters who helped me a lot. I wish to call them unregistered local guides, specially my dad. Please feel free to leave feedback of any kind so that I can get the courage or the suggestion to improve my journey of local guide even better. The 2nd great festival 'Tihar' is coming. I will be back with another exciting memory. Thank you so much for your valuable time to read the story. Happy guiding! Happy mapping!

If you love to check the exciting photos I've collected, here's the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7hemJV4gtzA9GaT57

Cooking in firewoodCooking in firewood

Arghakhanchi, Nepal
33 comments
Level 9

Re: How a local guide celebrated the national festival Dashain

Hello @BishowvijayaP

Thank you very much for interesting post,excellent story about tradition of Nepalese people.

Perfect video!

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

Connect Moderator

Wow @BishowvijayaP !!!!

This is a great and VERY interesting post! 

Really superb and worth a Friday favorite!

@MashaPS 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

Wow @BishowvijayaP brother , you had a wonderful time.Happy family , happy dashain .

Former Google Contributor

Hi @BishowvijayaP,

Thank you for sharing your great photos and amazing content full of details about this celebration.

We are happy to have you here and keep contributing on Google Maps!  Furthermore, you can always check the favorite posts from the previous week :).

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @BishowvijayaP,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in mapping your birthplace and for the nice video and photos.

It is amazing how your family supports you. Your dad is just great. I was curious about what the Tika is made of?

Thank you @TorM for bringing this post to our attention. The Friday Favorites posts are selected based on various criteria. Stay tuned to Friday and see which posts will be selected this week.

By the way I've relabeled your post to a Local Stories topic, because it is more suitable to it.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BishowvijayaP. Thanks for sharing a piece of your culture. 

Connect Moderator

Happy Dashain... @BishowvijayaP @RupendraNeupane @LaxmiG1

@

I'm always impressed with your kindness and the way you share with us your culture...

I enjoy learning other people's culture...

Thanks for your kindness

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 10

Dear @helga19, thank you so much for checking in to the post and watching the video too. Your feedback is the inspiration for me. 🙂

Level 10

Dear @TorM thank you so much for the nice feedback. I am also pleased to have your alert to the moderator for Friday Favorite. Happy guiding !