MashaPS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Friday Favorites: Russian handicrafts, a #LooReview meetup, and more

Every Friday, Googlers round up some of the best posts they came across during the week to celebrate the amazing discoveries Local Guides like you are sharing on Connect. This week, Russian handicrafts, a #LooReview meetup, and more.

@MashaPS: This week, I was intrigued by the warm and bright colors from the photos @INGA1 shared in her post,“Russian national handicrafts.” She presents us some of the most famous and significant Russian national handicrafts including, Palekh miniature painting, Khokhloma Gold painting, and Valenki.  Can you imagine that these elegant, handcrafted pieces can be used in everyday life? Of course, she also included the most popular symbol of Russiathe Matryushka wooden doll. In her post, @INGA1 conveyed the Russian spirit with amazing photos of these handicrafts. This post caught my attention because it reminds me of my childhood.

Caption: A photo of a table filled with Russian handcrafted objects including intricately painted boxes, Russian dolls, jars, and more. (Local Guide @INGA1)Caption: A photo of a table filled with Russian handcrafted objects including intricately painted boxes, Russian dolls, jars, and more. (Local Guide @INGA1)

@AngieYC: If you like diving and the beauty of what’s under the sea, I think the post “Underwater Misool, Raja Ampat” written by @Lera76 will make you want to pack your bags and visit Raja Ampat. He briefly shared what to expect when you go underwater and you can clearly see how beautiful it is from his pictures. This island in Indonesia is one of the most famous for their crystal clear water and is often visited by expert divers from all over the world.

@NadyaPN: Are you ever curious about what’s behind a closed door? Local Guide @Potsdamomente sure is—and loves to take photos of them as a result. In her post “Why I love doors and how I take photos of them,” she shares four tips for taking great photos of doors! “The more doors I find, the more I find myself looking for small details that could hint at what lies behind a door,” she wrote in her post. Be sure to check out her tips and share your amazing entrance photos in the comments below.

Caption: A photo of an entrance to a red building with brick steps and a bright, blue door with a floral wreath hung on it. There are potted plants on and around the steps. Above the door is the number “24” and a sculpture of a child running. (Local Guide @Potsdamomente)Caption: A photo of an entrance to a red building with brick steps and a bright, blue door with a floral wreath hung on it. There are potted plants on and around the steps. Above the door is the number “24” and a sculpture of a child running. (Local Guide @Potsdamomente)

@DeniGu: I’ve always admired the efforts and endless positivity of Local Guides who dedicate their time to doing something good. From clean-the-world campaigns, to meet-ups for mapping the accessibility features of an area, there are a few ongoing great initiatives I’m sure you’ve read about on Connector even took part in! That’s why my pick for this week is @NandKK's “[RECAP] Let's Map Public Toilets Mumbai.” Together with two other Local Guides, @NandKK joined the Swachh Bharat Mission in India, leaving #LooReviews and contributing photos and edits of public toilets on Google Maps. Take a moment and find inspiration in his post, where he shared in great details where they went, what they did, and how this experience influenced their perception of the public toilet situation in Mumbai.

Tell us about some of the best posts you've read on Connect lately and be sure to keep an eye out next week to see if one of your posts is selected for Friday Favorites! You can check out last week’s Friday Favorites here. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
24 comments
Level 10

Re: Friday Favorites: Russian handicrafts, a #LooReview meetup, and more

Thank you @MashaPS for sharing this special Friday Favourite post...reading about Russian handicrafts by @helga19 @@ & underwater misool by @Lera76 was really a good experience. 

Special thanks to @DeniGu for appreciating my recap post and nominating it as Friday favourites. I was really a wonderful experience mapping the public toilets in Mumbai along with my fellow LG. My gratitude to you... 

Level 9

Thank you so much @MashaPS

for mention me in your post.

I really want to tell  local guides as much as possible about my country,about custom and tradition,about Russian cousine,about Russian national handicrafts and sure,convey the spirit of Russian nation.

Thanks to all local guides,who write the comments.

Thank you ,dear @MashaPS for this post.

It is great pleasure to read kind words.

Best wishes,

Inga

Level 8

Congratulations @helga19 for having your post in Friday Favourites! Your photos are always lovely ☺

Level 9

Thank you,dear @Eire27

I am glad to hear it!

Cheers,

Level 9

Thank you @MashaPS sharing a @helga19 Russian handicrafts post...

Level 10

Level 8

Hi @helga19. After looking at your post again it got me thinking was there many Russians in Ireland and so I went online to see and turns out there is a big Russian community in Dublin ( for such a small country. Also somebody had written a book about historical links between Ireland and Russia, which surprised me. Anyway here are some Russian images from DublinRussian Orthodox Church, DublinRussian Orthodox Church, Dublin

Inside Russian Orthodox Church DublinInside Russian Orthodox Church Dublin

Inside ChurchInside Church

Russian supermarketRussian supermarket

Poster for Russian Culture festivalPoster for Russian Culture festival

Flag from above posterFlag from above poster

Russian council CompatriotsRussian council Compatriots

A little bit of Russia in Dublin, Ireland

Level 9

Wow!

It is nice to know that there is Russian community in Ireland.,Russian supermarket and festival Russian culture.

Thank you dear @Eire27 for nice photos . 

Have a nice weekend!

Best wishes,

Inga

Level 10

Namskar..

@MashaPS thanks for Sharing this post

@helga19  & @Potsdamomente

Nice Photos U Share..