lynneannec's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Exploring Northwest Arkansas: Eureka Springs

We had such a big day exploring Eureka Springs I broke it down into two posts, the first one being Exploring Northwest Arkansas: Thorncrown Chapel .
The first part of our trip was exploring the town of Eureka Springs  . It is a gorgeous historic town, in fact the ENTIRE downtown area is on the National Register of Historic Places! The town has it’s original Victorian Homes built into the mountain cliffs, and so are the shops and restaurants.

Photo of Eureka Springs,Arkansas taken By Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Eureka Springs,Arkansas taken By Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Eureka Springs,Arkansas taken By Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Eureka Springs,Arkansas taken By Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Eureka Springs,Arkansas taken By Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Eureka Springs,Arkansas taken By Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Eureka Springs,Arkansas taken By Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Eureka Springs,Arkansas taken By Local Guide lynneannec

The drive to Eureka Springs took about 45 minutes from my home through the Ozark Mountains, where the trees were turning color for fall and it was a breathtaking site.

Especially as we had just evacuated from Bayou Country Louisiana. My three part series, Living Hurricane Ida: Part One , 

Living Hurricane Ida:Part Two Evacuation 

Living Hurricane Ida: Part III Fruition , details this. The day that we visited Eureka Springs, my medical condition that in my bad days, unfortunately requires my husband to push me in a wheelchair, was acting up, so I was unable to walk or climb stairs. We couldn’t fully experience the town as we would like too. Fortunately, there are days when I can walk, so we will be returning. I am a huge advocate for handicap accessibility, and I so proud to have been recognized by Google for this by being featured on their Instagram page for  Disability Awareness Month  

and here on Connect

as an Accessibility Champion. . At that time I never dreamed that I would experience the need for handicap accessibility first hand, but it is such an important calling. Since the structures in Eureka Springs are so old they don’t fall under the guidelines of the Americans’s with Disabilities Act. They have steep stone steps leading up the mountain to the restaurants. The one’s on the ground are on a steep mountain incline on rough sidewalks. My husband pushed my wheelchair a short ways, but I can tell you, it is not handicap accessible. But we still drove through the town and enjoyed viewing it.

After this we went to  Christ of The Ozarks which overlooks the city. Again most of the attractions here were not handicap accessible. Also we were there during the day. There is a well renowned Passion Play that is only performed at night. It attempts to be historically accurate and true to Biblical Scriptures. The Play is performed on a 550 foot wide, outdoor amphitheater with 4,100 seats that have backrests. Also there is a two hour guided Holy Land Tour, complete with live biblical characters. That required you to get on a non-handicap accessible bus and get out to explore the various stations, so unfortunately we couldn’t do that on that day.

A photo of the  Holy Land Tour area of The Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecA photo of the Holy Land Tour area of The Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecA photo of the  Holy Land Tour area of The Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecA photo of the Holy Land Tour area of The Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannec2EE13F66-48A2-4BA9-B7B7-E0CC351696F5.jpeg

They have a petting zoo on the tour, but my daughter was able to pet plenty through the fence, lol.

Photo of animals at the petting zoo at Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of animals at the petting zoo at Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of animals at the petting zoo at Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of animals at the petting zoo at Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannec

We were able to visit the main attraction, the 67 feet high statue of Christ! The statue itself is made of 340 tons of concrete and welded with steel into Magnetic Mountain. They actually had to build an elevator up the side to build it. Christ’s face is about 15 feet high, his hands 7 feet, arms 65 feet from fingertip to fingertip. The statue is on Magnetic Mountain at an altitude of 1,500 feet, but on a paved pathway, and my gallant husband pushed me all the way! It is gorgeous! They also have a garden with a large wooden cross that simulates the crucifixion of Christ. This area was enough to visit.

Photo of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannec

Photo of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannecPhoto of Christ of The Ozarks by Local Guide lynneannec

After this we visited the gift shop and got a miniature statue, a magnet and some gift cards. I understand that some of the attractions are built into a mountain and can’t be made wheelchair accessible, but I hope in the future they will make the tour buses handicap accessible and did mention it in my review.

@TravellerG @CAAG1959 @Kwiksatik @KashifMisidia @AdamGT 

Eureka Springs, AR, USA
6 comments
Level 10

Re: Exploring Northwest Arkansas: Eureka Springs

Thank you for sharing your journey to Eureka Springs , Northwest Arkansas. @lynneannec .

The yellow paint wooden log cabin is so pretty.

Detailed wooden  staircases is awesome too.

Since you are using wheelchairs so you have sensibility to review places that you go withh accesseibility point of view, The parks with Jesus Christ huge white statue and the petting zoo.

Keep calm, stay healthy and always be happy.

Tag (@BudiFXW) in your post or comment, I will happily to connect with you.
Level 10

Wow, another detailed post...

I join with our @BudiFXW to state that the yellow wooden building looks great!

Of course, 65 feet Lord Jesus statue too very divine.

Thanks for sharing...

Other photos are also very interesting.

Overall very enjoyable post, dear @lynneannec 

Accessibility in many places are becoming popular in the past decade only....

Ciao...

🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

Hi @lynneannec First of all sorry that I responding late on your amazing posts, actually I was in traveling, and many places had worst internet, so sometimes when I had better connection I always opened your post and read it.

The article you shared is really nice , especially the photos which you shared. It's so great to read your travel adventure series on connect and imagine myself there with your beautiful family. I also read about Accessibility in your all posts, and really proud on you that you never forget to add Accessibility information in not only your articles but in your Google maps reviews as well, you are a true Accessibility Champion and real inspiration for me.

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 9

Thank you @TravellerG for continuing to read my posts and for your comments. I hope that the focus on accessibility continues to increase. It has always been a passion of mine. Now having days where my abilities vary, as well as living in an area with such different terrain, it has given me even more insight into the challenges of the differently abled.

Level 9

@KashifMisidia my biggest dream is that one day our families will meet each other, my good friend! I know you have been traveling, and I am so happy you have been to see more of your beautiful country, Pakistan. Thank you for your kind words. You are the Champion, and I am so proud of you.