TeJeWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Do any of you have concerns about methane gas pollution from swamp land where you live?

How many of you live in swamp & wetland regions of the world, where home developing is taking place?   We have a rust color seeping up thru the cracks of our roads,

and our driveways.  We also have a carbon black sludge, seeping up too, and its dropping down from the sky.  

Savannah, GA, USA
12 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Do any of you have concerns about methane gas from swamp land where you live?

Methane is an odourless colourless gas it won't colour anything. That is much more likely to be a high iron oxide content in the soil (yep, plain old rust).

This isn't really on topic for Connect where we talk about Mapping, Reviews, Contributions, etc.

Regards Paul

Level 10

Re: Do any of you have concerns about methane gas from swamp land where you live?

What I heard (read) is tha beside swamps, the main source of natural methane is cow (and other ruminant animals') fart. That still may (or may not) be odourless, @PaulPavlinovich 😄

Level 6

@PaulPavlinovich  Sorry, I thought this would be appropriate, since it's something visible on Google Maps!  Where is an appropriate place to talk about Environmental concerns that can be seen on Google Maps?     I really love this forum style, yet I have concerns about things I seen here in the past 12 years.   Sorry about the post.  

Connect Moderator

Hi @TeJeWi there's nothing to be sorry about with your post. I would recommend using your social networks to discuss environmental issues of this nature. Given that you are interested in the environment, one of the Connect Moderators @ErmesT is starting to plan a world wide environmental initiative for Local Guides. I know he's not quite ready to go public yet but he is starting to look for people who might be interested in taking part in their local area.

Us too @Csaba - my day job is in the water and waste water industry and the amount of methane coming out of the waste is staggering. We're starting to explore technology to cleanly burn it and turn it into energy for the power grid.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Hi @PaulPavlinovich

I can remember a project for producing energy that was started on 1975 in a pigs farm in Verona area (yes, the city of Romeo and Juliet). The farm was self producing the electricity needed for their activities.

Methane is odourless @Csaba, while the residual nitrogen part it isn't. 🙂

Want to be part of a project about environment and pollution @TeJeWi?

Send me a PM, we can talk about it

Ermes

Level 6

@ErmesT I was going to PM you but I don't see a way to PM you. I would like to participate with  Environment & pollution on maps! It would very good project to participate in because it affects all of us world wide.  I have been documenting things on my own for several years now.  People are just dumping all over!  My documentation is scattered all over but I sure can search it to find older post to share with environment & pollution.   I live in the Walthour swamp Savannah Georgia, where they are using landfill from a borrow pit, to fill in the swamp, raise land to build brand new houses.   They are blocking St Augustine Creek to drain in to lagoons, which is just water retention of the tidal basin.  The Borrow Pit has been cited with environmental pollution.  We have a county abutting right next to us, that used coal ash in roads 20 years ago, that have fallen apart.  Now the coal ash is loose & is polluting the swamp.  Georgia is treating the environment really poorly.   The images from the past have shown that the city of Savannah encourage residents to dump trash in the swamp land.   The problem with this is we live on the water table, on land that was previously reclaimed by the water.   They just dig a few canals & lagoons & levees, then think that is enough to prevent problems with the area.    However they are making it worse as they cut down all the trees.   Savannah Georgia is a literal example of draining the swamp!  We have a mix of garbage pollution methane & swamp gas methane release.  I've lived here 12 years and it has gotten really hot & muggy since they removed all the trees.   When it gets hot & we have a drought, the ground contracts & shrinks.  When its rainy, the ground gets really mushy.  Our driveways are cracking really bad since we've had more moisture & water pushing up from below.   I'm in a new housing development & the roads are already flooding.  Building houses here is not a long term investment for homeowners, where the locals are hiding the history of the land.  They have told me we should have done our due diligence before moving here.  Since the locals hide, make it harder to find & change the history of the land, there is no history of the previous owner, or if the land is part of the Savannah Wildlife Refuge.  I know Chatham County has an ordinance where they are supposed to leave trees because trees help prevent coastal flooding.   Where I live, they build hundreds of houses in an AE flood zone, which is a high risk.  Someone told me where we live used to be a lake, completely under water.   From the air, it would be impossible to see, because trees were here.  The real estate agent told me this used to be a tree farm, so I had no reason to not believe him.  We thought we were moving on real land.  How is living in a former lake, in swamp land safe for residents?   With the marketing they are doing,  most people who move here have no idea this is real swamp land.

0120006_0129008.jpg

Connect Moderator

thank you @TeJeWi

I know what you mean, as I lived in Macon GA for more than one year.

As my project is not published yet, I will pm to you later

Ermes

P.s.: to PM to someone, click on the profile, you will find a link 

IMG_20180227_145705.png

Level 6

@ErmesT  Thank you,  I see the private message this time, which was not there the first time.  I will PM you.  

Former Google Contributor

Hey @ErmesT,

@ErmesT wrote:

Hi @PaulPavlinovich

I can remember a project for producing energy that was started on 1975 in a pigs farm in Verona area (yes, the city of Romeo and Juliet). The farm was self producing the electricity needed for their activities. 

Ermes

Are you saying they used pigs for producing electricity? Sorry I am just puzzled here.

Best regards,

Georges

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators