Theatreperson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Changing the cover photo of a public list

How do you change the cover photo of a public list?

I have a list of theatres but Google has randomly selected an image of a person in a swimming pool as the cover image.

There is no way I can see to change this.

8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Changing the cover photo of a public list

@Theatreperson To my understanding cover photo is selected randomly, so there's no way to pick which one is shown. I'm not sure which cover photo you mean for public lists though. When I open up a Google Maps List it doesn't have a cover photo. Would you mind posting a screenshot? I just want to make sure we're referencing the same thing.

Edit: ok I'm guessing you meant viewing a List on the Google Maps app (it wasn't showing on desktop). So you can edit the photo shown for individual place (select 'Choose photo' on the location's thumbnail), but I don't believe there's a way to change the photo shown on the cover of the List.

This might be something good feedback for the team, and if you want to do it, you can do it from the following board:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/ct-p/IdeaExchange 

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

@Theatreperson To my understanding cover photo is selected randomly, so there's no way to pick which one is shown. I'm not sure which cover photo you mean for public lists though. When I open up a Google Maps List it doesn't have a cover photo. Would you mind posting a screenshot? I just want to make sure we're referencing the same thing.

Edit: ok I'm guessing you meant viewing a List on the Google Maps app (it wasn't showing on desktop). So you can edit the photo shown for individual place (select 'Choose photo' on the location's thumbnail), but I don't believe there's a way to change the photo shown on the cover of the List.

This might be something good feedback for the team, and if you want to do it, you can do it from the following board:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/ct-p/IdeaExchange 

Level 8

Here you go.

Screenshot_20210711-114112_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20210711-114101_Maps.jpg

Connect Moderator

Hi @Theatreperson 

Unfortunately, you cannot control which photo becomes the feature photo of your list.  I wrote about the photos in lists and a concern I had was that if I create a list then the photos that I add on my list are the ones that should be shown when that list is found and viewed by the public!  At the moment, my list with my descriptions is shown with the photos of others.  Even though this idea is Closed you can still vote for it if you agree.

Keep guiding and

Happy Anniversary 

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Connect Moderator

Hi @Theatreperson

I can confirm that it unfortunately is not possible to select cover photo of lists. 

In my experience the cover photo is mostly selected from the place most recently edited. So you may want to edit a place to get rid of a very irrelevant cover photo.

You may want to support the fix proposed here.

Cheers

Morten 

Level 8

Thanks @iyudhi @AdamGT @MortenCopenhagen 

Seems like such a trivial thing to fix.

I have added the idea so maybe you could support it.

Change cover photo on list 

Connect Moderator

Hi @Theatreperson 

You have received a lot answers, all correct. It is not possible to choose the cover photo of a list. Normally, if the contributions are appropriate, this is not a real issue, even if everyone of us would love to be able to do that, to completely customize a list.

If the contributions are not appropriate, please remember that you can also report the photo, as indicated in Add, remove, or share photos and videos 

The photo of a man in a swimming pool doesn't seem to be related to a theatre

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Theatreperson,

Thank you for reaching out. You can follow the tips fellow Local Guides kindly shared with you.

In addition to that, I am marking @iyudhi's reply as a solution, so other Local Guides can refer to it. The purpose of this feature is to help Local Guides find answers when searching on Connect. Please take a look at How do I mark comments as solutions? article.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

Ok.....thought I was the only one having this issue, still sucks don't know why this hasn't been fixed yet!

Hmmm?🤔