AdamGT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Bug when adding a missing POI within another existing POI

On both Android and Windows I've found that there is a problem when adding a missing POI within another existing POI.  Let me try to explain the issue with my example:

Fresh Air in a Bottle is a retail health store that, you guessed it, sells fresh air in bottles.  Fresh Air in a Bottle is a new store that just opened up in Health Mart Central, a large Shopping Mall.  Health Mart Central is an existing place on Maps.  OK so here are the steps trying to add Fresh Air in a Bottle

1. Select 'Add a missing place'
  2. Add name > Fresh Air in a Bottle
  3. Add Category > Store
  4. Add address
  5. Select send
  6. Improve your edit dialog appears for phone number and website etc.
  7. Select send
  8. Again message displayed "Place may already exist. We found a place similar to the one you are trying to add."
  9. Select Submit anyway
  10. On Windows a Dialog appears with the message "Thanks for improving Google Maps! You'll get an email when your suggestion is reviewed".  However on Android you immediately get a message suggesting that the addition has been Approved and that the Place has been added and shows that you earned +15 points.  However, this is a false positive as the missing place hasn't been added at all.  What happens is that instead of the Fresh Air in a Bottle being shown as having been added, the Contribution, Edits suggests that we've been credited with having added Health Mart Central, the Mall that already existed on Maps.

As shown in the image here, repeated attempts result in repeated false positive Approved additions as described above o you end up with lots of bottles of fresh air!!!!Lots of fresh Air in BottlesLots of fresh Air in Bottles

30 comments
Level 9

Re: Bug when adding a missing POI within another existing POI

@AdamGT  Have you checked after 24 hours after the location is added by searching with the name on the maps? It takes time to appear on amps as said in the confirmation email. 

Connect with me: My blog, YouTubeFacebookInstagram

Connect Moderator

The problem @SaifIS is that the confirmation email incorrectly says "Published: Your addition of Health Mart Central" which is the shopping centre or mall (a previously exisitng POI on Maps) and not the place (the store) I added.  But yes will wait and see what happens after 24 houors.

Connect Moderator

This problem persists and now I'm finding it on similar other POIs that I'm trying to add so I'm reaching out to you @sonnyNg as one of the modertors here.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @AdamGT,

Thanks for letting us know.

Regarding the questioned place, would you mind sharing the Google Maps URL to the mentioned Health Mart Central?

We will check from our side as well at the meantime.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hi @sonnyNg 

When I added the mising POI Ferndale Park Playground (which, as the name suggests, is a chidlren's playground in Ferndale Park), the addition was approved however the link given in the approval email is to Ferndale Park itself (https://goo.gl/maps/bPbNZEgfziH2) and the missing playground wasn't added.  This happened again today to another missing POI that I added and I seem to recollect that this has happened to me on other missing place additions months before.  The following screen grab may help:image.png

Connect Moderator

@sonnyNg I have a suspicion that this problem may relate to

(1) a previous problem I reported at https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Adding-missing-places-not-generating-Google...OR

(2) if part of the name of the place being added is identical to the name of a previously added existing place on maps! e.g. Ferndale Park and Ferndale Park Playground

Hi @AdamGT,

Thanks for sharing with us the details of the Ferndale Park Playground. 

Would you mind checking once again if there would be any update?

As for the first examples and issue, we are currently investigating on it. If there would be any development, please do not hesitate to share with us, as well.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hi @sonnyNg 

I just checked once again and get exactly the same outcome so from this, I cannot see that there has been any update!  Note that the Ferndale Park Playground example is one and the same issue as described in the first example and as I mentioned, this has happened before on other attempted addition of missing POIs.  I look forward to hearing back from you on the results of your investigation.

Hi @AdamGT,

Thanks for letting us know the similarity of the two examples!

However, would you mind sharing the Google Maps URL to the mentioned Health Mart Central?

Thank you!