AdamGT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Bug when adding a missing POI within another existing POI

Hi @sonnyNg 

I mentioned in an earlier reply that this issue happened to me on other missing place additions months before and while I couldn't recollect specifically which POI it was, my recollection is that it was a new store in a shopping mall or shopping centre so given that it happened again, I tried to explain it in the original store/shopping mall context rather than the park and so made up Health Mart Central.  Ferndale Park (an existing POI) and the playground within it (a missing POI) is the current real example and as previously advised, when I try to add the playground (as I did once again yesterday) I get a success email saying that Ferndale Park (not the playground) has been added (a False/Positive)!!!  Not only is the email received nonsense but so is the advice given in the Contributions/Edits (see below for my attempt yesterday) as I didn't add Ferndale Park, a previously existing POI on maps!  

image.png

So just as I tried again yesterday (as you requested) I tried again just now adding the playground and the Contributions/Edits showed the following (note the pl;ayground and not the park place creation is pending), which I believe is correct:image.png

However, after a few minutes, this changes to the following nonsense (note yet another Park place creation approval):

image.png

This is nonsense for a number of reasons.  Firstly, I was adding the playground and not the park.  Secondly, how can one get a place creation approval for a new addition given that that place creation was previouly approved!!!  Thirdly, why did the pending approval change from the playground to the park once the status changed from pendingto approved!!!

With the facts I've given I believe that the issue/bug should be easily repeatable.

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Former Google Contributor

Hi @AdamGT,

Thanks for the extra effort right there! : ]

We will check further, in case there would be any details that can be added from both sides, let it be on this post.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Thanks @sonnyNg Will sit on this park/playground as I'm sure if I were to try again it would just repeat through this same false/positive cycle as it has done several times before on previous attempts on this POI as well as on other POIs in the past.  I should also mention that while not wanting to cause the duplication of resources to this issue, earlier today I used the online feedback to report the problem.

Connect Moderator

Hello @sonnyNg 

This problem has happened two more times today in to different locations.  In each case I added missing POIs which instantly changed from pending approval to approved and I received the approval emails for each!!!  Each time thinking that the new POI addition was approved I selected the See your addition link in the respective emails and was taken to some other POI:

1. In the first instance to a POI which already has 173 reviews, and
  2. In the second instance, instance to a POI which already has 620 reviews!!! 

Again, as I've said before this is nonsense as given that I've just added new POIs, how can they already have a history of some 173 and 620 reviews respectively!!!  This bug is preventing me from adding new POIs. 

Appreciate @sonnyNg if you could provide an update on the investigation into this problem. 

Hi @AdamGT,

Really valuable examples, much appreciated!

For the moment, the new examples have been updated and for the moment, hang tight! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Thanks for your the update @sonnyNg I'm hanging in there and have kept the emails which clearly show "Published: Your addition of such and such" but in fact they are not published.  I'm trying to see if there is any pattern but so far the best that I can see is that this happens when the name of the new POI is similar to an existing POI (but more likely to be in a different category,e.g. playground in a park) as can often happen when the new place being added is located within another.  Here's an example from one of the emails:

image.png

It says that the new POI has been published, but in reality it has not!!!

Hi @AdamGT,

We would hold onto the proposed scenario that the two names of the suggested and the already existing place would be quite similar.

I would suppose that a feedback to Google Maps has been sent in relation to the case, as it may need to be checked further.

Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hi @sonnyNg 

I'm not actually clear on the meaning of your last message so appreciate your clarification.  In the meantime,  I advise that I have gone through some of my historical place additions and have discovered that this problem has happened at least on 7 attempted but failed place additions since 5 February 2018, so the problem has been around for quite a long time!!!  Could this issue be related to that in the following post My Place Addition submission is not appear in Edits tab by @emuniruzaman ?

Hi @AdamGT,

It seems that the two names of the existing Ferndale Park, with the proposed suggestion for Fernadale Park playground would seem to be understood as one, as you have suspected.

For the moment, in case of the latest post example you have shared, we will continue check on that regard, but as separate investigation.

My apologies for not being articulate enough. : ]

Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hello @sonnyNg 

Yes my suspicion has always been that notwithstanding the different categories (the existing being a park and the proposed being a playground), this weird behaviour has something to do with the commonality between the names of the existing and proposed places and confirmed this by going back to some 7 previous instances, one as far back as 5 February 2018 and I have supporting documentation for each of these instances.  For example, another case I had was that of the existing Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club (Category: Tennis Club) and the proposed addition Kooyong Tennis Centre (Category: Stadium) resulting in exactly the same weird/behaviour and outcome.

So am I correct in my understanding that you will continue investigating this issue but separately to that of Place Addition missing from Contribution Edits Tab?