KashifMisidia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Accessible Transport-Motorcycles

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccesibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

A middle-aged person, not letting the disability get in his way to sell ball point pens, on a tricycle. #oneAccessibilityA middle-aged person, not letting the disability get in his way to sell ball point pens, on a tricycle. #oneAccessibility

Tricycles, Motorcycles and Auto Rickshaw  :

When the special motorcycles weren't invented,  people with different abilities used to ride and own Tricycles for their daily routine. These tricycles usually worked when it was operated with one pedal in hand without having to use any legs during the journey. This became highly beneficial for the immobile people who couldn't move due to their leg problems, as now they didn't have to depend on anyone else to go somewhere and could easily go to commence their daily routine like a normal person. As time passed, revolution came as bicycles came into existence for the speedy people who wanted to run their errands more quickly.  

Now, this invention proved to be a big advantage for the crowded cities like Karachi where the fastest way to move in Karachi is not other than motorcycles, there are almost more than two million motorcycles which are running in Karachi .

But you can rarely see women bike riders, but often see  motorcycles with four wheels, these motorcycles are specially design for the people who can't afford a car, but can't ride a normal motorcycle as well. 

An elder aged person earning bread and butter for his family, by Supplying Electric goods at My Shop on a Specially Designed motorcycle for differently abled people. #oneAccessibilityAn elder aged person earning bread and butter for his family, by Supplying Electric goods at My Shop on a Specially Designed motorcycle for differently abled people. #oneAccessibility

These motorcycles made with 70cc ,100cc and 125 cc engines, with two normal wheels and two small wheels on both back side of motorcycles, with a wide seat  to support the balance of the rider. Because they couldn't put their legs at road to balance the bike, because of thier leg problems or old age.

Now a days we can see many people use these motorcycles auto Rickshaws, because these are easy than buses and cheaper than taxi. And best for the people who supply or sell different products and never give up in front of their disability problems and earning money by thier motorcycles and Auto Rickshaws.

A non-profit organization, has announced an initiative to create new employment opportunities for the disabled (and differently-abled) community of Pakistan by handing out hand-controlled rickshaws. #oneAccessibilityA non-profit organization, has announced an initiative to create new employment opportunities for the disabled (and differently-abled) community of Pakistan by handing out hand-controlled rickshaws. #oneAccessibility

Accessible Bus Stops :

In our daily routine life we can notice many things , like if you see this sign at any bus stop, it means the bus stop is Accessible for the people with different abilities, but do that place deserve to call an Accessibility-friendly place? 

What the main points should have for an wheel chair Accessibile bus stop?

1. There should be no steps till the person reaches the seats which will be used by wheelchairs user .
  2. If there are steps than there should be a Ramp and Accessibile tiles for differently abled people.
  3. There should be special and preference seatings for wheelchair users and the people who have different abilities.
  4. There should be enough arrangements to lift the person to the bus who need assistance.

The Bus Terminals with Facilities for differently abled People. #oneAccessibilityThe Bus Terminals with Facilities for differently abled People. #oneAccessibility

Usually in many countries you can see bus stops have special facilities for differently able people , like the Ramp for wheel chairs, Accessible entrance and Accessible sitting, as we can see in Accessibility friendly countries.

But In Pakistan as I mentioned many times, there is a lot of work to do for Accessibility, so we can see Accessibility friendly bus stops just at big bus terminals, which are use for Intercity buses. But the need is to prepare every bus stop as a wheel chair Accessible place. But right now in Big cities like Karachi , Lahore and Peshawar, in these three cities there are many mega projects of Metro Buses, which will be Accessibility friendly. 

Sammi Daewoo Bus Terminal & Faisal movers are the best examples of Accessibility friendly Bus Terminals in Pakistan.

Here is the Google maps list for some of the Wheel chair Accessibile Bus Stops and Bus Terminals of Karachi .

The Logo Of #oneaccessibilityThe Logo Of #oneaccessibility

Do you have a question, suggestion or contribution? Feel free to leave a comment!  You can read last week's roundup clicking here, and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered".

Learn more about our project and team at 

oneaccessibility.org

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Karachi, Pakistan
21 comments
Level 9

Re: Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Accessible Transport-Motorcycles

Great work @KashifMisidia 

Kashif Jamil
Level 9

Wonderful article @KashifMisidia. I learned so much from reading it. The photos included were excellent, I have never seen some of these adaptive devices. They are fantastic ways for the disabled individual to be mobile. Thank you for a very interesting and informative read.

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @KashifJamil Bhai.

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Level 9

Betreff: Accessibility Uncovered ♿: Accessible Transport-Motorcycles

Hi @KashifMisidia

great work! 😃 👍🏻 

Thank you very much for sharing this good post. 😀 

The buses have a ramp here in Hamburg. When a person comes with a wheelchair, this ramp will unfolded from the bus. The person can drive over this ramp and get in the bus. 🚌 

On many subway stations here are wheelchair accessible elevators. Some subway stations are without a elevator yet. These subway stations will be expanded with elevators in the future. 🚇 😀 

Many greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Chiara Maria Cervetta

Facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Connect Moderator

Hello @lynneannec 

Thank you for your great words.

Here in South Asia, motorcycles are the most common way for transportation and fastest as well. That's why differently abled people also prefer motorcycles for thier travel in city.

Your words are great motivation for me.

Shukriya 🙏

Google Moderator

Hello @KashifMisidia ,

Thank you for the descriptive presentation of the common means of transport in your city. Now that more and more people need to get from one place to another as fast as possible, I see the convenience of the rickshaws and the tricycles. What is more, it is not that difficult to find a spot and park it, I assume. 

Once again thanks for sharing the accessible friendly bus stops as well. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hey @KashifMisidia ,

Just out of curiosity, did you take all the photos from this post? You can give some tips when taking pictures of accessible places like do you take into consideration the angles or making sure to capture all the signs.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Great article @KashifMisidia. Congratulations on being included in the Friday Favourites. How inspiring that technology has enabled differently abled people to be independent, both financially and in terms of mobility. A truly uplifting post- thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hello @MoniDi , yes these tricycle and Accessibile motorcycle photographs was taken by me in Karachi, when I was just going some where and stopped and ask to the person if he don't mind I want to take a picture of him.

And the other photographs of accessible places,  bus terminals and Accessibile washrooms, these pictures I took in other cities of Pakistan and in Malaysia as well. 

Normally during my visits to any place now my eyes always search for Accessibile signs, Ramps, Lifts or any other thing which can make this place Accessibility friendly. And I m not an expert photographer, but I always try to capture all important elements which requires to guide people by my Google maps photographs . Honestly I just take pictures, without any consideration of angels, but just try to highlight the place. 

I m really grateful that you like this post and featured it in your Friday favourites.

Shukriya 🙏