Globe_trotter_Ish's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Accessibility Uncovered : Accessibility Signs - Service Animals

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccesibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

July is a 'Disability Pride month', so this month we are focusing on writing articles and sharing information on disability signs and symbols. There are so many unique situations and disabilities that define the human race, and the majority of these disabilities can be greatly improved with the use of a service animal. A service animal is an animal that is specially trained to perform specialized tasks that their owner is either incapable of doing or would have a very hard time doing for themselves. Most often, dogs are utilized as service animals due to their intelligent nature and strong connection with the human race; however, this doesn’t mean other kinds of animals are incapable of serving as a service animal. Service animals are highly trained animals that are capable of understanding complex situations and accomplishing their tasks even during times of duress. 

Caption : A collage showing sign boards for service animals allowance , how service dog id looks and a photo of a service dog assisting ownerCaption : A collage showing sign boards for service animals allowance , how service dog id looks and a photo of a service dog assisting owner

In the UK, service animals are allowed everywhere by law. Assistance/Guide dog owners have important rights under the 2010 Equality Act (EA). This law allows people with disabilities to have the same rights as everyone else to use the services supplied by shops, banks, hotels, libraries, pubs, taxis and restaurants.Assistance Dogs UK is a coalition of assistance dog organisations that provide support and have been accredited by Assistance Dogs International (ADI) and/or The International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF).

The highly-trained nature of service animals means they can be trained to understand the specific needs of the individual handler to whom they are issued. This training allows them to aid people with all kinds of different disabilities.

Here are few disabilities where service animals are used :

1. Hearing Impaired : For people with hearing impairments, these types of service animals assist by alerting their human to noises such as alarms, doorbells, or crying babies.
  2. Severe Allergies : Allergy detection dogs are trained to sniff out and alert to the odor of things such as peanuts or gluten. This ability can be lifesaving for those who suffer from extreme allergies. 
  3. Visually Impaired :The assistance of a service animal can help them navigate busy streets and establishments without worrying as much about bumping into people or walking in front of traffic. 
  4. Mobility assistance: The service animals can bring objects to people, press buttons on automatic doors, serve as a brace for people who are ambulatory but unsteady, or even help pull a wheelchair up a ramp.
  5. Autism/Cognitive disability assistance : Service animals help increase a person’s safety and sense of security through their presence and the actions they can take on behalf of their handler. In addition to improving an autistic person’s quality of life by reducing isolation and comforting the person in stressful times, these animals are also trained to keep children from running away and can often track the children if they do run away.

The Service Animals aren’t restricted to just being dogs. Dogs are the most common type of service animal used, but the following animals are also permitted to be specially trained as a service animal:

• Miniature Horses
  • Ferrets
  • Capuchin Monkeys
  • Boa Constrictors
  • Parrots
  • Potbelly Pigs

The bottom line is that there are many different disabilities or disorders that can be treated with the use of a service animal. Obviously, these animals can’t provide a cure, but they can help make everyday life a little more bearable. Let us all encourage people with disabilities to be proud of what they are and respect them  and treat them equally and help them find amazing places and experiences on Maps which they can enjoy too !

If you see any place that is service dog friendly , added or mentioned on Maps or have seen any of these signs in your country , feel free to mention in the comments below.

If you have a question, suggestion, or contribution, feel free to comment below. You can read last week's roundup article here and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered".

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

London, UK
8 comments
Level 8

Re: Accessibility Uncovered : Accessibility Signs - Service Animals

@Globe_trotter_Ish This is definitely one of the most interesting posts I've read on Local Guides Connect.
I was not familiar with the symbols, nor was I familiar with the service animal credential design. There were two facts that really caught my attention:
The use of dogs to assist people with severe food allergies
And the fact that a boa constrictor or a monkey could be considered a service animal.
I hope this great post gets the recognition it deserves 🙌

Miren qué interesante chicas!!!! @Cecilita @Jesi @SilvyC 

Level 9

Very impressive!  Definitely it’s a great job and you're initiative will encourage others @Globe_trotter_Ish 

Connect Moderator

I am glad you liked the post and found it so much interesting @CaroGuiniazu and @AbdullahAM ! As July is a disability pride month, let us all make people with disabilities feel proud about themselves and treat them with respect .Thank you for your kind words 🙂🙏🏻

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Level 9

Beautifully written @Globe_trotter_Ish 

#LocalGuidesUSA ~ Accessibility Champion ~ Guiding Star 2021 

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Erna_LaBeau  .🙂

My Instagram profile 

Level 8

@Globe_trotter_Ish 

Thats nice. Very well written.

Abhishek Patki
Connect Moderator

Thank you @abhishekpatk  🙂

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

No me sorprende para nada lo que mencionas sobre éstos animales y lo que pueden hacer por nosotros @Globe_trotter_Ish  aún no teniendo problemas físicos estoy segura que muchos animales fueron de gran ayuda durante el aislamiento por la pandemia, fueron su compañía y su sostén.

Yo estuve el primer mes solamente con aislamiento obligatorio y mis dos gatos fueron mucho más que dos gatos.

Me gustó mucho tu artículo.

Saludos.

Silvy.

Gracias @CaroGuiniazu no vi tu mención pero ahora gracias al #awarenesschallenge lo leí.