Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: ACCESSIBILITY, SPECIAL NEEDS and GOOGLE MAPS

Nice post @EmekaUlor

Emmanuel Makinde
Level 8

Thanks for tagging me, @KarenVChin.

I think at the City level, HK is doing OK to facilities the movement of people having accessibility needs.

This is what I think Maps can improve:

Currently, Maps do not have friendly navigation instructions for accessibility.  I hope Maps can add an Accessibility options for Car / Public Transport / Walking navigation, so that it will be much easier for people in need to move around.

Level 10

Hi guys,

Thanks for tagging me @EmekaUlor@ErmesT

I am always affected when we speak about disabled. I was touched reading your posts @EmekaUlor, @KarenVChin@ErmesT.

We have to fight for them. Letsguide them better!

I could speak about a story that happens to people I know. Their son became tetraplegic during a rugby game. He was 17 years old (about 30years ago). Can you image how their life was shaken? I am not going any futher as just writting this is hurting me. Sorry.

Regarding the situation in France, we are very well organised for disabled. All our public buidlings are supposed to be accecible by disable. If they are not online with the law, there are fines. The government has given them time to put everything in order. So it get better and better everyday. You can have some more informations here: https://www.service-public.fr/professionnels-entreprises/vosdroits/F32873. Sorry it is in french ;-(

I have a good example, when I went to the domaine de sceaux, there was a weelchair for disabled. #Letsguidedisabled

20180318_112713 (2).jpg

There was also a special part for blind people including tactile discoveries as you can see here: #Letsguideblind

20180318_123100 (2).jpg

As you can see in my post and in my google maps review, we all can bring our stone to this huge building.

Keep contributing in a better way: #Letsguidebetter

Jul

Level 10

Wow! Great post @EmekaUlor this might take a while especially in Africa but one day this will be a story from the past about wheelchair accessible places. Hope the goverments and private developers will prioritize this.

Connect Moderator

What an amazing story @EmekaUlor you're right that accessibility is different all around the world, some countries take it very seriously and it is mandatory to consider the needs of everyone in accessing buildings, parks, monuments, etc. It generally takes a certain level of community wealth before these sort of features can be afforded but as you say in the places where this has not happened yet there are ways for the determined to do everything they want to do.

A friend of mine had a hang gliding accident and has been quadraplegic ever since, the first few years were very hard and she attempted to take her own life several times. Fortunately she was not successful and today has taken control of her life and is again working and living as we all do. 

Regards Paul

Level 9

Hi @EmekaUlor, Wow! Emeka, your this is so touching. You have spent a fruitful childhood including your friend J in all what you guys did! Hats off to you and your friends. You guys are an inspiration to the younger generation. I got goosebumps reading your post.

Thanks for sharing it in a greater way.

Coming back to your thread, in my country, accessibility requirements start from the policy level. Yes, having wheelchair access is essential to get commercial and public buildings approved by the Municipal councils. Having had the above regulation, there are the optimal amount of accessible infrastructure in my country. Of course, there are certain exceptions too. Most of the time, due to less cognizance on such facilities, those who have the real need are not aware of these facilities. This is where we local guides should act through mapping the accessibility access and spreading the news to the world.

Level 6

Wow! @EmekaUlor great story keep it up

Connect Moderator

@Laurel thank you reading. 

I appreciate your commendation.

Best wishes

Emeka 

Connect Moderator

@IlankovanT thank you for taking time out to read and respond. 

It is nice to know such effort made by your country to improve accessibility.

We will continue to use Google maps to help people with special needs. Personally, I am contributing using reviews and photos to show accessible walks.

Also I'm already talking to a lawmaker on this issue and pushing for a bill to make this a law in Nigeria.

Cheers,

Emeka

Connect Moderator

@PaulPavlinovichthank you for sharing your story. So, we all have something similar that affects people around us thus the need to help them live a normal life.

While, I continue to get accessibility information on Google maps (through reviews and photos), I am also talking to a Representative to help push a law for accessibility across the country.

Cheers,

Emeka