JustinAlex's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

No category for adding junctions

Hi, I'm from India. Yesterday we had a meetup in Trivandrum, Kerala as part of the Kerala Marathon meetup. The thing we all talked mostly was about the lack of category for adding junctions. Junctions are the place where 2 or more different roads meet. In India, maybe unlike other countries, there are many junctions with specific names, and locals use them as meet up places or navagation destinations. But unfortunately, we don't have a category for adding a new junction name. So, we need some advice or help on how to achieve this to provide a good solution for this requirement.

@ErmesT @AradhanaB @LawrenceNYC @YK1001

Thanks,

JUSTIN ALEX

India
16 comments
Level 9

Re: No category for adding junctions

Hi @JustinAlex,

Good Morning & Happy Republic Day. 

Yes you are right there is no option to add junction but we can not add junction as a POI. For that type issue try sending feedback. 

1. Open map
  2. Drag to the junction you're talking about. 
  3. Click on three lines at top left corner find help. 
  4. In help find send feedback option. 
  5. Click in the map box shown in send feedback page. 
  6. Select desired area. 
  7. Fill out all necessary details and send. 

Best Regards 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 8

@deepakjhic I'm not talking about a single junction. There's no option for selecting category for junction. There might be new junctions coming in the future and now also there are many junctions which are not marked on maps yet. So, not everybody is interested in giving feedback for every new junction he/she needs to add. So, the best solution i think is to add "Junction" in the category field as a new category. I'm waiting for the Googlers and moderators for replying.

Level 8

@AradhanaB @ErmesT

Hi, please look into this matter. I didn't got any reply from your side. I'm expecting a reply this time.

Connect Moderator

Hi @JustinAlex

As you are expecting a reply, here I am. I did not replied before because you need a more technical reply, so you probably need to have @Flash

in here. 

I see your point of view, that in your country a Junction is something different from a simple point where two road are merging. 

So I think that we should have a different approach:

Probably people is not meeting "in" the junction but "near" the junction, so we probably need to identify a different place, not the junction himself (that, being a road, is not editable). So, where is the people meeting? In a parking lot, in a fuel station? What is the real meaning of "we meet at the junction" ?

What do you think? 

Ermes 

Level 8

Hi @ErmesT, Junction is the place where 2 or more roads meet. Suppose, if 4 roads are met, that circular area together is called as a junction.

Here, people use junction for navigation.

I will tell few examples for it.

1. People says " I'm in X junction, let's meet their".

2." That shopping complex is in Y junction". 

3. " Drive your car to ABC junction, take left, then you'll see XYZ junction, take right.

So, these are the usages of junction for local people. Also, bus stops are also known in the name of junction.

The junctions currently marked in the maps are previously marked using the map maker. But, now we are unable to edit or add junctions.

@ErmesT Sir, Now I hope you understood the matter and thanks for replying. Please take some necessary steps for achieving the solution.

Connect Moderator

Hello,

Junctions could be named at one time many years ago.  Google purposely removed that function and deleted any already named junctions; they do not want junctions to be named.  Instead they created logic that will find a junction based on the description of the cross streets, such as a search for Main Street and Broadway, Vancouver.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@Flash Sir, you are saying that google purposefully stopped and deleted already named junctions. I can't agree to that. Junctions are still their in maps. Please look the below image.Pattom junction, Trivandrum, KeralaPattom junction, Trivandrum, Kerala

Also, finding junctions from the description of roads is not fair. People here are not practised it yet. Since, there are junctions marked currently, we also need features for editing and adding new junctions. 

If someone using maps for traveling, how will he find the destination point if junctions are not there? Does he need to go to the description of something else? 🤷🤷

Connect Moderator

Hello @JustinAlex,

Due to the size of the map, examples of almost every incorrect edit that can be made can be found on the map.  They do not justify other bad edits.

If someone using maps for traveling, how will he find the destination point if junctions are not there? Does he need to go to the description of something else? 🤷🤷 

Landmarks such as junctions are from an age before digital maps and are only relevant when navigating without such a map.

To get to a place you simply need to put your end point into Maps and ask for directions; there is no need for landmarks along the way to find the end point, Maps will lead you right to it.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@Flash Sir, junctions are not landmarks. I think only Indian culture can understand the matter well @AradhanaB Ma'am, what's your opinion?